Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

The only all seater rugby league grounds in England are the ones shared with football teams - Wigan, Hull and Huddersfield's grounds.  The others are a mix of newly built grounds that have terracing (Warrington, St Helens, Salford) and traditional grounds that have been updated (Castleford, Wakefield).  Seems to work for them.

Incidentally through sponsorship St Helens ground is called the Totally Wicked Stadium and Castleford's is the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, we should encourage ridiculous sponsorship names for stadiums.  Kudos to LIvingston for pioneering this in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Well, I did say 'as far as I know'. Clearly my knowledge didn't go far enough. But is this unusual for rugby league?

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

And you don't  get trouble at the vast majority of Scottish football games.

I've stood on many terraces in Scotland, often close or beside opposition fans with no segregation. Literally zero deaths. In fact literally zero injuries.

I've also stood on terracing in Scotland with segregation. Again, no deaths. No injuries.

Oh, I know this! The problem is the people passing the legislation don't. They only see the arsecheeks where violence is the norm. I supported Meadowbank Thistle for twenty years and enjoyed standing on the terracing knowing there wasn't going to be any trouble.

In fact the only time I can remember any violence at a Thistle game was when a Cowdenbeath supporter punched me in the jaw and ran away as we were walking through the wasteland outside the ground, heading back to the bus. He was clearly annoyed that we had beaten them and no doubt picked on me as I was at the edge of the group and was also one of the smallest people there. When we got out onto the street we saw him and his mates standing glaring at us but we didn't think it worth saying or doing anything so just got back on the bus as quickly as we could.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Well, I did say 'as far as I know'. Clearly my knowledge didn't go far enough. But is this unusual for rugby league?

Rugby League definitely has a hooligan element, they wouldn't segregate the supports if it didn't.

There's a nasty incident roughly once a season, so about the same as football really.

54 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Rugby League definitely has a hooligan element, they wouldn't segregate the supports if it didn't.

There's a nasty incident roughly once a season, so about the same as football really.

Clearly I'm living in the 1950s.

3 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Violence was never mentioned.

I mentioned it, in an attempt to explain why the authorities see terracing as okay in rugby league grounds but not football ones. But since it's been pointed out that there is occasional crowd trouble at the rugby, the point I was trying to make was wrong to begin with.

25 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I mentioned it, in an attempt to explain why the authorities see terracing as okay in rugby league grounds but not football ones. But since it's been pointed out that there is occasional crowd trouble at the rugby, the point I was trying to make was wrong to begin with.

No, it wasn't. I was just interested in why you mentioned it when all we are ever told is it's about 'safety', usually with Hillsborough thrown in to try and immediately silence any dissent despite that being mainly caused by fences and bad policing. (no taking thread off course intended). A blanket standing ban makes life much easier for our public servants in blue rather than have them actually do their job when the need arises, which of course they avoid doing whenever possible.

For other uses of safety as a dissent squasher see also cash cow speed/safety cameras and reasons for delays to opening a new football stadium in North London because you totally fucked up the timeline.

I'd like to throw in my usual point that I can't believe so many folk (idiots) have been taken in by the 'safe standing' con and indeed continue to be so.

Edited by DA Baracus

18 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I'm glad you rarely see scum behaviour like that at Scottish football.

Though I bet neither of the clubs issued a statement afterwards whining that their players were attacked.

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Some more pictures of the original Bayview, found online and 'borrowed' for this thread.  Was along the classic lines of Scottish grounds: 3 sides of terracing, with a covered enclosure along the side of the park, and a seated grandstand on the opposite side. I regret never having had the chance to see a game there as it looks a great wee Park, steep terracing close to the pitch and located in the town.

You feel that new stand they have now, in place of the stand and directors glass box thing in the first picture, with the other 3 sides the same, and you'd have the perfect lower league ground.

As flyboy says, must be heartbreaking for East Fife fans comparing it to the single Stand soulless place their chairman at the time landed them with.  

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

The ever lovely Bill "Blobby" Hunter was invited onto the East Fife board at the time as an expert in moving grounds. 

I like to think of New Bayview as a lesser known memorial to Blobby.: Cold and soulless. 

Incidentally one of the last games at the old Bayview was a Youth Cup tie between East Fife and Edinburgh City (making their debut in the competition). City won. I nicked a wooden "No Smoking" sign from the back of the stand as a souvenir and later sent it to the editor of the East Fife fanzine "Away from the Numbers" as there had been an article in the fanzine moaning about the fact that East Fife hadn't allowed fans to take souvenirs of the old ground. I don't know if he ever got it as the cnut never gave me a reply!  

Back in the early 1970s a lot of old Bayview terracing was in a  bad shape, obviously nobody had any spent any time or money on it in decades. Noticed in the 80s it had been tidied up and/replaced.  Clubs in general had started in various ways to spend a few quid on the grounds. Maybe grants and sponsorship money had started to kick in. Last i heard of East Fife some sex offender Director was being led away in handcuffs.

5 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Back in the early 1970s a lot of old Bayview terracing was in a  bad shape, obviously nobody had any spent any time or money on it in decades. Noticed in the 80s it had been tidied up and/replaced.  Clubs in general had started in various ways to spend a few quid on the grounds. Maybe grants and sponsorship money had started to kick in. Last i heard of East Fife some sex offender Director was being led away in handcuffs.

Julian Danskin, a lawyer who was there chairman at the time.

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Image result for old rugby park kilmarnock

Related image

Killie  v celtic 1955955-02-19: Kilmarnock 1-1 Celtic, Scottish Cup - Pic

CELTIC V KILMARNOCK SCOTTISH CUP 1955

CELTIC V KILMARNOCK SCOTTISH CUP 1955

Killie 1 vs Celtic  1

1955 Scottish Cup tie at Rugby Park.

That third photo was one of the greatest goalline headed clearances Andy Townsend ever made.

The last picture doesn't look genuine.. it's more like a still from an old movie showing a football crowd!