Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

5 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

When did segregation start at Tannadice?

When I first went, late 1980's there was a segregation fence at the halfway line of the large covered terrace opposite the dug out's, we (Celtic) got half that terrace and the uncovered terrace at the end where the greenhouses are, not sure exactly when that fence went up, older posters and/or Dundee United fans may have a more accurate idea?

26 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Did the Ferranti/Meadowbank fans keep following on to Livingston?

The board effectively (and on a few occasions actually) told us to f**k Off . There were about 5 or 6 regulars who went westwards.  

The board effectively (and on a few occasions actually) told us to f**k Off . There were about 5 or 6 regulars who went westwards.  
I assume a fair few who didnt go westward started following Edinburgh City/Spartans?

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I assume a fair few who didnt go westward started following Edinburgh City/Spartans?

some started watching City, a couple went to Spartans, some started watching East Juniors football, some naturally enough went to  watch Hibs and Hearts. At a Meadowbank reunion a few years ago quite a few said they didn't go to football any more as Meadowbank had been their team. 

54 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

When I first went, late 1980's there was a segregation fence at the halfway line of the large covered terrace opposite the dug out's, we (Celtic) got half that terrace and the uncovered terrace at the end where the greenhouses are, not sure exactly when that fence went up, older posters and/or Dundee United fans may have a more accurate idea?

The fence was there about 1980 when the cover went up. And there was just a gap/no mans land before that. My original memory is no segregation anywhere outside of Glasgow. I’d a photograph from the early 1960s (now lost) of the old man in the Shed at Tannadice. Everybody looks well.........old.

55 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

some started watching City, a couple went to Spartans, some started watching East Juniors football, some naturally enough went to  watch Hibs and Hearts. At a Meadowbank reunion a few years ago quite a few said they didn't go to football any more as Meadowbank had been their team. 

That would fit in with reports from Third Lanark who’d 10 times the support of Meadowbank.

The crowd scattered.

Clydebank supporters set up a Junior team and it looks as though the Senior journey will begin again one way or another in 2019.

That would fit in with reports from Third Lanark who’d 10 times the support of Meadowbank.
The crowd scattered.
Clydebank supporters set up a Junior team and it looks as though the Senior journey will begin again one way or another in 2019.
The story goes that a decent number of Third Lanark fans started following Pollok. It was well before my time so I can't say how much truth there is to it.

d66a8a53aaf40dc736dc3cc26c4675ee--dundee

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

The fence was there about 1980 when the cover went up. And there was just a gap/no mans land before that. My original memory is no segregation anywhere outside of Glasgow. I’d a photograph from the early 1960s (now lost) of the old man in the Shed at Tannadice. Everybody looks well.........old.

That's right Before the fence went up there was just one terrace along that side. Even after it was put up segregation was initially only enforced for games against the OF. The gate at the back was left open to let people  change ends at half time so that they could stand behind the goal their team was shooting into.

Edited by Arabdownunder
Found a pic

2 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

d66a8a53aaf40dc736dc3cc26c4675ee--dundee

That's right Before the fence went up there was just one terrace along that side. Even after it was put up segregation was initially only enforced for games against the OF. The gate at the back was left open to let people  change ends at half time so that they could stand behind the goal their team was shooting into.

:eek: How many fans are crammed in there?!!

I've never seen a photo of that terrace without the roof.

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

:eek: How many fans are crammed in there?!!

I've never seen a photo of that terrace without the roof.

13 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
14 hours ago, Glenconner said:
The crowd scattered.

The story goes that a decent number of Third Lanark fans started following Pollok. It was well before my time so I can't say how much truth there is to it.

Think the Pollok story was a bit over done considering Clyde and Queens Park were practically on Thirds doorstep. I asked one of the Pollok committee a few years back about the Third Lanark connection. He said it was never more than a handful of old timers and all are since long dead. I’d the occasional pint in the Hi Hi bar on Crown St in the Gorbals in the mid 1970s, there was one cigarette stained old framed picture of Third Lanark on the wall and juke box full of rebel records!!!

There’s a 20/30 page article on the Lowland League forum about a Third Lanark revival. One chap started it claiming to know the money men here in Scotland and a Fergus McCann type figure in North America all ready to splash the cash on some Third Lanark amateur team, everything was on standby just waiting on the go ahead from the football and city authorities   After X amount of pages, with all sorts of history thrown in,  somebody blew it all out the water when it was revealed the Jimmy Johnstone Academy had first dibs on Cathkin Park and were carrying out ground improvements. 

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Indeed. Anybody who voiced even mild disapproval about the move was chucked out and banned. Ended up there were more people watching through the broken fence in Marionville Road than in the stand.

7 hours ago, GordonD said:

Indeed. Anybody who voiced even mild disapproval about the move was chucked out and banned. Ended up there were more people watching through the broken fence in Marionville Road than in the stand.

so Edinburgh City did have something in common with Meadowbank! :lol:

Around 1983 my grandad took me to Tannadice for a game against Hibs and the fans changed ends at half time.