Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Although the thing itself is highlighted on page 1, I never realised until now that the random bit of scaffolding at Fir Park was the result of a resident complaining about the potential lack of light in her garden when they were already mid-construction (according to that new book anyway)

fir-park-west.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 4/11/2018 at 13:49, Merkie84 said:

I quite like this but it does raise the question: Had anyone ever in the history of Scottish football ever cycled to a match?

Seems a bit wierd to me, and I like cycling! 

See it quite a lot over here. Can be an absolute f*cking hazard after the games, between drunk cyclists and drunk punters weaving all over the place trying to avoid each other.

On 4/14/2018 at 12:44, Arch Stanton said:

Young Boys played at the Wankdorf stadium in Berne, Switzerland.

Renamed it the "Stade de Suisse" when the new ground was built. Still in the Wankdorf area of Bern, with the train station just behind it retaining that moniker.

Although the thing itself is highlighted on page 1, I never realised until now that the random bit of scaffolding at Fir Park was the result of a resident complaining about the potential lack of light in her garden when they were already mid-construction

As apposed to living in Scotland being the biggest reason for a potential lack of sunlight?

I thought it was because they would have needed to buy the property at the end of the row of housing as the full length stand would have cut across their back garden. Motherwell subsequently bought the house and used if for office accommodation (in the eighties I think) but decided they weren't going to extend the stand so sold it again.

On 03/07/2018 at 13:25, CaspianChris said:

Any idea when these pictures are from certainly interesting especially the conditions.  I will take a guess at the bottom photo and say some time between the 2 world wars.  I could be hopelessly wrong though.

The top two photos are from around 1970 I would say, the multi storey block at Derby Street in the background means it can't be much earlier than that. I think I've seen the 3rd photo before and it's late 50s/early 60s. The bottom photo is a cracker. The absence of floodlights and the South Enclosure confirms that it had to be taken before the late 50s, these were erected around 1959 I believe. My guess would be late 40s or early 50s

3 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

The top two photos are from around 1970 I would say, the multi storey block at Derby Street in the background means it can't be much earlier than that. I think I've seen the 3rd photo before and it's late 50s/early 60s. The bottom photo is a cracker. The absence of floodlights and the South Enclosure confirms that it had to be taken before the late 50s, these were erected around 1959 I believe. My guess would be late 40s or early 50s

Thanks for that, I don't think I had come across those photos before so was not sure what era they were from.

4 hours ago, Austinho said:

The clock tower outside Murrayfield is a nice feature.

AB790EE2-2674-4896-8876-E7D490435173.jpeg

Used to be in one corner of the ground when there was terracing, apparently - it used to be a meeting point. When they redeveloped the stadium they rebuilt the clock tower outside.

They also used to have a huge flagpole which they cut into slices and flogged for charity. There's one in the Oxford Bar (Rebus's favourite) in Young Street and another in the Royal Oak in Infirmary Street. 

"In 1929, the Clock Tower was gifted by Sir David McGowan, a Past President of the Union. Still a landmark today

although having been removed from its previous location at the top of the terracing at the 'Railway End' when the

stadium underwent major renovation and rebuilding during the period 1991 - 94, the Clock Tower is now located at the

rear of the East Stand. In 1930, J. Aikman Smith, a Past President and former Secretary and Treasurer of the Union,

presented the first Score Box and, in 1931, Sheriff Watt, KC, presented the original Flagstaff and Flag."

That's on the SRU website. Now let us never talk of egg chasing again....

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

No real quirks to Cove’s new ground....thin on the ground for nearby pubs though......IMG_0251.jpg.6689bdcab1916639227c88da5b3a8556.jpg

Looks like the lad on the right's bringing in the MOTM trophy with him.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Altens hotel maybe? Pricey though

Mind there's pubs in Cove itself. We went to one (Langdykes) before the bar at the old ground that time we went to see Cove. That's a fairly short walk to the new ground. It's shorter than walking from the East Port to East End.