Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

My brother did occasionally until he had his bike stolen from outside Tynecastle. So it might not be a great idea

Exactly why I think it is a terrible idea, open invitation to II bike thieves. Wait  until later the match starts then you have a leisurely 90mins and more to help yourself.

Plus a lot of grounds , including tyncastle, involve walking down narrow streets full of people on match day, so again, not ideal on a bike.

Plus going to the match often involves a few refreshments , which inhibits balance which is kind of an important part of cycling! 

It'll never catch on!

Edited by Merkie84
Grammar

3 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

Exactly why I think it is a terrible idea, open invitation to II bike thieves. Wait  until later the match starts then you have a leisurely 90mins and more to help yourself.

Plus a lot of grounds , including tyncastle, involve walking down narrow streets full of people on match day, so again, not ideal on a bike.

Plus going to the match often involves a few refreshments , which inhibits balance which is kind of an important part of cycling! 

It'll never catch on!

You never know

With Aberdeen moving out of town there might be a "Velo Dons" Supporters Club dodging the traffic jams

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, not really what I asked though, is it?

Well it kind of answers your question. The stands replaced the benches and terracing behind the goal.

I quite like this but it does raise the question: Had anyone ever in the history of Scottish football ever cycled to a match?
Seems a bit wierd to me, and I like cycling! 
I've cycled from Inverness to the County game a few times. I always take the train home though.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What year did the benches go in at Dens?

Were they in place for instance, when the Tayside derby League Cup final was played there?

Pretty sure that the benches were there for the League Cup Final replay between United and Aberdeen the year before.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Well it kind of answers your question. The stands replaced the benches and terracing behind the goal.

But I asked when the benches were installed, not removed. 

The terracing would have been there for a long time beforehand, for standing on. 

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Pretty sure that the benches were there for the League Cup Final replay between United and Aberdeen the year before.

Were they?

My first trip to Dens would have been around then, but I was only a kid and can't remember whether they were in place or not as I was in the enclosure.  

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
6 hours ago, Merkie84 said:
I quite like this but it does raise the question: Had anyone ever in the history of Scottish football ever cycled to a match?

I've cycled from Inverness to the County game a few times. I always take the train home though.

That does make sense; cycling is faster than the Inverness-Dingwall train.

9 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Grim O'Grady does to Spartans matches. 

Spoiler

That's got you all to sign up to PB's Anti-Cycling lobby now, hasn't it! 

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

But I asked when the benches were installed, not removed. 

The terracing would have been there for a long time beforehand, for standing on. 

No benches for 1979 replay v Aberdeen or 1980 cup final. Crikey the crowds would needed to sat on each other's heads.

You might be on to something! There are already cycle lanes between Kingswells and Westhills. 
Maybe a huge multi story bike park like they have in Amsterdam might solve the transport problems!

Wouldn't fancy cycling there as all uphill.....but freewheeling all the way back to Union St could be fun

On 11/04/2018 at 12:49, Merkie84 said:

Coming out of the Scotland - Spain game last summer at the Women's Euros, we got held up while a traffic cop handled a huge bike jam.

55 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Coming out of the Scotland - Spain game last summer at the Women's Euros, we got held up while a traffic cop handled a huge bike jam.

Think he actually means real football matches.