Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

22 hours ago, Takiap said:

A bit before my time but Ibrox station was on the line to Paisley as opposed to the line that ran down to the docks, it would be good if it were to re-open. My auld man told me Parkhead used to have a station also, a low level line that ran past the east end of Parkhead a lot easier than the walk from Bridgeton Cross or Dalmarnock. I'd imagine the line along Brand Street would've been the same line that circled Ibrox.

Edit: A link to an old map, 

http://www.npemap.org.uk/tiles/map.html#256,664,1

Looked up the RailScot site, Ibrox Railway Station had 4 platforms. Two on the main Glasgow/Paisley line and two on the Govan branch line. That's why i remembered the long platform facing the Wee Rangers Club.

Slightly off topic, but kinda relevant. I remember going to Firs Park for a Shire versus QOS game (Dad was a journalist and was covering the game). Half time came and we asked where we could get pie, bovril.... Reply was 'you will need to go down to the corner shop, there is nae shop today!

We went down to said shop and on our return had to chap on the gate to get let back in, by a Queens fan!

14 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Looked up the RailScot site, Ibrox Railway Station had 4 platforms. Two on the main Glasgow/Paisley line and two on the Govan branch line. That's why i remembered the long platform facing the Wee Rangers Club.

Cheers for that, I've never heard of the ones beside the wee Rangers club. You must have a good memory!

7 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Sure that's a Scotland international match.

Scotland beat Ireland 4-0 at Parkhead on 18 March 1905 - that was the only international at Parkhead in that year. But what is the flag second from the right? Not an Irish tricolour back then!

12 hours ago, GordonD said:

Scotland beat Ireland 4-0 at Parkhead on 18 March 1905 - that was the only international at Parkhead in that year. But what is the flag second from the right? Not an Irish tricolour back then!

Is it maybe the flag of the Irish free state? Even what then went on to become an independent Ireland was divided between Republicans and free staters back then.

37 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Is it maybe the flag of the Irish free state? Even what then went on to become an independent Ireland was divided between Republicans and free staters back then.

Not in 1905, I wouldn't have thought. And would Celtic have flown it?

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic and Inter Milan line up prior to kickoff in the 1972 EC semi which the Italians won on penalties, the same night Rangers beat Bayern Munich in the ECWC semi at Ibrox, 150 000 people at two games in the same city on the same night !

IMG_20180110_181327.jpg

Kids today will never believe there used to be two big clubs in the city at that time...........

53 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic and Inter Milan line up prior to kickoff in the 1972 EC semi which the Italians won on penalties, the same night Rangers beat Bayern Munich in the ECWC semi at Ibrox, 150 000 people at two games in the same city on the same night !

IMG_20180110_181327.jpg

A couple of days after that game Apollo 16 landed on the Moon. The Daily Record printed a cartoon of the astronauts on the lunar surface reporting back, "Tell Dixie we've found the ball!"

Took my dad and uncle on the hampden tour a few months ago. The images of 'old hampden' and the capacity crowds was phenomal and eye opening, and those are just the ones hanging in the refs room! Hard to imagine, even with the evidence in front of you.