Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Found this VERY old picture of what is Tynecastle behind some tenements on a facebook page called 'old football stadia', well worth a like for some cracking nostalgia pics.
Older jambos may be able to confirm but, as I've only been in the Roseburn im taking an educated guess this is the opposite side of the ground?

FB_IMG_1498949856802.thumb.jpg.5a1b4709103c617c9065edadb022a23d.jpg

It's from the Gorgie Rd end.

On 29/06/2017 at 16:31, resk said:

The 93 Cup Final was Rangers v Aberdeen at Celtic Park. The Dons fans were in one of the ends, can't remember which one. There were loads of cheese and onion flavour Real McCoys getting given away for some reason.

Aberdeen got the away end... what is now the Lisbon Lions stand. That was a large covered terrace and half the main stand, the now dead club got other half of main stand, the jungle and the home end..now the Jock Stein stand. No 50/50 split in those days.

Just now, Lebowski said:

It's from the Gorgie Rd end.

Never been that end of Tynecastle but I know from watching on TV when I was young and old YouTube clips away fans got that end, why did they turn it round late 90's after redevelopment?

9 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Never been that end of Tynecastle but I know from watching on TV when I was young and old YouTube clips away fans got that end, why did they turn it round late 90's after redevelopment?

Prossibly because it's slightly easier to keep the fans segregated on the way into the ground. Not much granted.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Because that originally was the home end, nearest to the main road.

It can't be that old a photo given there's floodlights, roof aerials and no tram-wires.

I'm right that the Gorgie Stand was built after the Roseburn? Did they just move away fans in there for a few years then back to the Roseburn?

Whenever I went to Tynecastle before the new stands were built, away fans were always in the big open terrace at the Gorgie End. Home fans got the side with benches bolted onto terracing  on the Wheatfield Side with a roof that curved round the corner to cover a wee bit of the Roseburn End.

Are folk saying it used to be opposite ends about going further back?

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It can't be that old a photo given there's floodlights, roof aerials and no tram-wires.

I'm right that the Gorgie Stand was built after the Roseburn? Did they just move away fans in there for a few years then back to the Roseburn?

Good point about the tram wires. They used to joke that Hearts would never win the Scottish Cup until they lifted the tram lines in Gorgie Road. Trams were phased out in Edinburgh in the 1950s and the lines in Gorgie Road were lifted in 1955 or 56 - and Hearts did win the cup!

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Whenever I went to Tynecastle before the new stands were built, away fans were always in the big open terrace at the Gorgie End. Home fans got the side with benches bolted onto terracing  on the Wheatfield Side with a roof that curved round the corner to cover a wee bit of the Roseburn End.

Are folk saying it used to be opposite ends about going further back?

I started going to Tynecastle as an away fan in the 80's and it was always the Gorgie terracing in those days. I would guess before that was pre-segregation? I'm sure some of my older mates talk about being at the other end in 1970's...

Pars fans in the late 80s early 90s got the Gorgie terracing and the Gorgie end of the Main Stand (although that stopped when the enclosure got those backless bucket seats and we got that instead of the tip-up seats in the stand above). The first time I was in the other end was for the Skol Cup semi-final v Airdrie in 1991, and I wasn't back at that end again until the stand was built at that end in about 1997(?).

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
Spelling

On 02/07/2017 at 00:02, Flybhoy said:

Found this VERY old picture of what is Tynecastle behind some tenements on a facebook page called 'old football stadia', well worth a like for some cracking nostalgia pics.

Older jambos may be able to confirm but, as I've only been in the Roseburn im taking an educated guess this is the opposite side of the ground?

FB_IMG_1498949856802.jpg

The Park is still there 
https://goo.gl/maps/QfgVE3BQwmn

And I think that might well have been part of the old Tynecastle park where Hearts first moved to in 1881 before moving across the road 

At the time there were naysayers predicting that nobody would travel all the way out to Gorgie to watch football.

So Aberdeen fans aren't experiencing anything new

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 02/07/2017 at 13:44, HibeeJibee said:

The lights went up in 1957. I occasionally forget how young most posters are. Being quite an auld c**t, I would be a toddler then.

I remember the non-segregated days back in the 70s. Away fans would try and take the shed at the corner.

i love Cowdenbeath's outdoor pisser. It's always blowing a gail up there and I love standing having a piss at half time wae the steam off the piss of old guy to the left of me blowing in my face n the guy to the right of me having his piss blown all over my brothel creepers as he tries to piss. You leave there with more piss than you entered with. No doubt these toilets would be a hit in Germany, if "gentleman's interest" films are to be believed.

• 2 months later...