Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

B_5tt0kU8AEyzf_.jpg

tynecastlepast4.jpg

It seems pretty clear the terrace cover adhered to the line of the warehouses behind the side and end (waste ground in above photo).

Overshadowing, perhaps.

Terrace was flush with warehouses.

[Link won't imbed this photo of workmen on terrace pre-roof] http://www.londonhearts.com/legends/tynecastle/images/1955 22-5-1955 tynecastle covered enclosure in construction.jpg

148992_439418852792636_349624549_n.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

I was sat on those covered benches for the famous Dunfermline v Airdrie "Handball" League Cup semi final in 1991. It was actually a good enough view despite the shallow rake and there was a cracking atmosphere, helped by the big crowd, the importance of the game and the rivalry that existed between Airdrie and Dunfermline (and a lot of other clubs IIRC) at the time.

16 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Yeah, think that was the one. Did Paul Kane score for the Dandies that night?

I've absolutely no idea who else scored apart from Booth unfortunately. I think Eadie maybe scored at least once but not too sure!

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I've absolutely no idea who else scored apart from Booth unfortunately. I think Eadie maybe scored at least once but not too sure!

There's a video on Youtube with the highlights, I think Scotsport covered it. Would add the link, but I'm in work and unable to search.

I find it funny that when all the old b*****ds I know reminisce about 100k crowds at Hampden and their feet not touching the ground for large parts of the game, I can only relate to it with 10k at Kilbowie that night.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we have covered most of the grounds at least in the SPFL and the grounds that are no longer with us, it just shows most of our grounds including the new ones have something different about them, something unique. I'm glad about this as too often we get people moaning about legoland stadiums and grounds that lack character, which just says maybe you're not really looking.

Two modern grounds with similar layouts but with very different locations to their geography and surroundings. Balmoor, home of Peterhead and Forthbank home of Strirling Albion. I'll see if I can find pictures of their old grounds for another post.

Peterhead v Brechin City 1st Nov 08 (1).jpg

Peterhead v Brechin City Balmoor stadium Peterhead 1st Nov 08.jpg

Peterhead v Brechin City view of Main stand Balmoor 1st Nov 08.jpg

Image result for forthbank stadiumStirling Alb v Inverness C.T. 6th Jan 07.jpg

Image result for forthbank stadium

Edited by CityDave

A picture of the blast damaged stand at Forthbank, the home of Kings Park. Anyone know the location of this ground, I do believe its not on the same site as the modern stadium is now?

Image result for kings park stirling football

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8245059.stm

Edited by CityDave

A picture of the blast damaged stand at Forthbank, the home of Kings Park. Anyone know the location of this ground, I do believe its not on the same site as the modern stadium is now?

_46343596_forthbank.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8245059.stm

Looked this up as I was quite interested myself. Don't know how well you know Stirling but apparently it was roughly where the Enterprise Park is now. There's a street called "Player's Road" around about there but I don't know if that's connected. I'd imagine they would have actually played at Kings Park at some point as well.

I quite like Forthbank - the little terracing gives an option for standing when that section is open, the views over to the hills and Wallace Monument are lovely and despite being an out of town ground it's not that far away from the centre if you come by public transport to make it impossible to get to.

Balmoor on the other hand, I'm not such a fan of I'm afraid. It's fine enough and the stands are decent but the lack of any steps at all on the 'terracing' is what makes it so bad. If there's any crowd at all you have to try to squeeze in between people to get a view of the pitch and being at pitch level isn't a great view anyway. There are plenty of junior grounds that at least have 2 or 3 rows of actual terracing so for a new build to have nothing, I was a bit disappointed. Sorry Blue Toon fans. At least the catering is excellent!

A few here of Annfield, sadly one ground I didn't get a chance to visit. First in Scotland to have an artificial surface, not sure if first in the UK maybe QPR. When I first started traveling about the country and on the way to Glasgow by bus I would see the floodlights of the ground on the hill above the town center.

Thanks to Mantis

Image result for annfield stirling albion

Related image

Related image

This is a nice view of Balmoor

Image result for peterhead balmoor

Thanks again to Mantis for the pic of Peterhead's old Recreation Park. The old ground was demolished and replaced by a Morrisons supermarket. Behind the Morrisons there still are football pitches. One of them is enclosed, fenced off and has a small building with changing rooms and a small social club is that of Peterhead's other club Buchanhaven Hearts.

Image result for peterhead recreation park

9 minutes ago, CityDave said:

A few here of Annfield, sadly one ground I didn't get a chance to visit. First in Scotland to have an artificial surface, not sure if first in the UK maybe QPR. When I first started traveling about the country and on the way to Glasgow by bus I would see the floodlights of the ground on the hill above the town center.

Thanks to Mantis

Related image

Related image

I remember being at Annfield and the toilet was basically half a dozen sheets of plywood, Ross Scott was doing his usual slide tackling on the astroturf that day so it must have been 1987-89.

You get a better look at the ground from this video below, a few improvements to the ground from the one above. Also for a while both clubs played quite close to each other. In the second video you can see the Morrisons over to the right where the Peterhead's old ground used to be.

Edited by CityDave

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

You get a better look at the ground from this video below, a few improvements to the ground from the one above. Also for a while both clubs played quite close to each other. In the second video you can see the Morrisons over to the right where the Peterhead's old ground used to be.

The day I took that one at Peterhead (v Caley in 1992 I think), I'm sure we were watching Buchanhaven Hearts at half time, you just turned round and looked the other way. No pics though.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

Thanks to Mantis

Related image

Related image

Aye nae probs. I hadn't seen the 3rd shot before. I was thinking of doing Stirling Albion in my next blog as it happens. Any Albion fans got any more stuff? I think the main stand was on the side with the big white building but got demolished?

Edited by The Mantis