Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

29 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

That last one was an ICT game Dave. Lost 1-0 to Clydebank. 

That'd make a good quiz question. What was the result in the last game at Boghead before Dumbarton moved to their new ground? Would catch a few out I'd think.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

I think it would be nice to put up some photos of Boghead from the internet and remind us of the old ground. One of the grounds I never got to see, sadly.

I saw it one time more than I'd have liked to. Nothing against the ground as such, but after a midweek game there we got on the supporters' bus to go home. After we'd been travelling for about half an hour we passed the bloody place again - it turned out the driver had turned the wrong way on leaving the ground and hadn't let on when he realised but quietly turned round and hoped that nobody would notice.

If he was hoping to retire on the proceeds from the whipround he was a disappointed man.

Found this in the Celtic archive, the old toilets under the Celtic End. Pics of the Celtic End (Now the Jock Stein Stand) I like the curved roof on this enclosure, must have been incredible with a full house there.

I say bring back terracing.

In early for the match

and the view from the jungle

Just spent about an hour reading this thread. Great stuff; the old stadiums thread in P&B Gold is excellent too. Some really interesting information and great pictures - I certainly had no idea about the supports in the Main Stand at Celtic Park for example. 

I may be looking back through rose tinted specs back to my childhood, but it is sad that the modernisation / moving of grounds has resulted in the loss of some really unusual stands or whatever. That stand at Love Street and Tynecastle are the two steepest I think I've encountered in Scotland. I concur with what one of the Hearts fans said about the Wheatfield view a few pages back; I went to an Edinburgh derby there with a mate once and we had tickets for the back of the stand. The view across the city is terrific.

Aside from the terraces themselves, the one thing I miss from East End from my childhood is the teams emerging from the changing rooms in the Main Stand, meeting in the middle and then walking down the steps to the pitch. I don't think there were many grounds in Scotland with a set-up like that?

I hope this thread will be moved beside the Old Stadiums thread in time. Some excellent contributions.

On 9/9/2016 at 22:04, 7-2 said:

That'd make a good quiz question. What was the result in the last game at Boghead before Dumbarton moved to their new ground? Would catch a few out I'd think.

The answer would be Dumbarton 2-0 East Fife. I think he was referring to the last photo on the post instead of last game at Boghead. 

Eta the quirk at the Rock is it's the only ground in Scotland with a castle in the car park!

Edited by microdave

Its not the most popular nor the near to being the most pleasing to the eye nor does it have the history of the old ground but New Bayview has a character of its own in my opinion. A decent Main Stand with a good view that has everything you need for a football ground at that level, the food when I visited was pretty good. Noisy support, which is what you want. Watched some good games during the last decade there first one was a Fife derby with Cowdenbeath and also watched games against 'Shire, Gretna, Montrose and Queen's Park. It might sound a bit daft saying a visit to Leven/Methil is a good day out but I've never had a bad or a meh! experience there. Decent pub in Leven before the game McPhails, get to watch the EPL before staggering down to the game. Is this pub still there?

Main Stand, New Bayview, Methil, 7th Apr 07.jpg

East Fife v Queen's Park (1), 7th Apr 07.jpg

East Fife v Queen's Park (2), 7th Apr 07.jpg

6 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Its not the most popular nor the near to being the most pleasing to the eye nor does it have the history of the old ground but New Bayview has a character of its own in my opinion. A decent Main Stand with a good view that has everything you need for a football ground at that level, the food when I visited was pretty good. Noisy support, which is what you want. Watched some good games during the last decade there first one was a Fife derby with Cowdenbeath and also watched games against 'Shire, Gretna, Montrose and Queen's Park. It might sound a bit daft saying a visit to Leven/Methil is a good day out but I've never had a bad or a meh! experience there. Decent pub in Leven before the game McPhails, get to watch the EPL before staggering down to the game. Is this pub still there?

Main Stand, New Bayview, Methil, 7th Apr 07.jpg

East Fife v Queen's Park (1), 7th Apr 07.jpg

East Fife v Queen's Park (2), 7th Apr 07.jpg

Despite the result I had a superb time there in our play off semi final shootout defeat in 2014. As you say a cracking view of the game and a good atmosphere (obviously the magnitude of the game helped that) and a good, action packed game of football. 

Been once before that when they beat us 1-0 in our horrid season in the 2nd division (09/10) when we had a small carry out on the beach before the game after trundling through an abandoned railway line to get there :lol:

Methil has a lot of critics but an away day is what you make of it and it's far from the worst IMO

Edited by C. Muir

New Bayview - since those photos were taken the power station was demolished, has anything replaced it yet on that site?

Some pics of the old ground up the hill. Sadly another ground I never got the chance to visit.

Image result for bayview stadium

Image result for bayview stadium

Image result for old bayview stadium

Something else, the seats at this ground have to be replaced more frequently than at other grounds due to the salt in the air. The air makes the plastic brittle and rusts the pillars and supports they sit on. Yeah its true I went through one of the seats when I sat down, it just snapped in two. I'll bet Celtic fans say that as well when it happens to them.:rolleyes:

Image result for new bayview stadium

East+Fife+017.JPG

newbayview.jpg

Something else, the seats at this ground have to be replaced more frequently than at other grounds due to the salt in the air. The air makes the plastic brittle and rusts the pillars and supports they sit on. Yeah its true I went through one of the seats when I sat down, it just snapped in two. I'll bet Celtic fans say that as well when it happens to them.:rolleyes:

bayviewseatwork2.jpg

newbayview5a.jpg

East+Fife+017.JPG

Old Bayview had character, went there a lot as a kid and if weather was rotten we used to stand back of the enclosure, proper old school football park

Regarding McPhails on North Street Leven is still open, cracking pub.

Firhill home of Partick Thistle. I've been a few times but have only sat in the Jackie Husband Stand which is an excellent stand. The quirk factor has to be the old Main Stand which for a time wasn't used for supporters though its used for the club's offices and the club shop. As it seems with many old stands the entrance to the pitch for the players is from the corner. The North Stand behind the goal for a few years was only partially completed which gave the stadium a very lopsided appearance and the South terracing is now a grass embankment. I will be interesting to see how this stadium develops over the next twenty years.

The match below is from a 1st Division meeting with QotS in February 2008, this is the only match I have ever fallen asleep at. It was a cold day so I brought down my McMurdo Parka which is like a big duvet, sat in the JH warm and cosy and at some point during this dull game which incidentally finished 0-0 I nodded of for 10 minutes during the 2nd half, then woken suddenly by the Thistle supporters reacting to a bad foul which resulted in a red card for a Queen's player. Now how did I manage to stay awake sometimes watching ICT at home under John Hughes' last season???

Partick Th v Queen of the South, (1), 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th v Queen of the South, (2), 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th v Queen of the South, (3a ) , 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th v Queen of the South, Jags Fans, 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th, Firhill Stadium, 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th, Jackie Husband  Stand , Firhill Stadium, 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Here's a good rival to Brechin City's hedge, Keir's Park home of Hill of Beath Hawthorn. Real hedges need to be something other than the abomination that is leylandii (spit!!) any hedge appreaciator knows this and the good old Beach is a winner, nice colour, changes to a pleasant light brown in autumn.

Keir's Park is a nice modern ground, one of the best kept in the East Juniors, where you do see a lot of difference between the haves and have nots, the well off and the just scraping by.

DSC00049.JPG

DSC00051.JPG

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00053.JPG

DSC00050.JPG

Edited by CityDave

58 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Firhill home of Partick Thistle. I've been a few times but have only sat in the Jackie Husband Stand which is an excellent stand. The quirk factor has to be the old Main Stand which for a time wasn't used for supporters though its used for the club's offices and the club shop. As it seems with many old stands the entrance to the pitch for the players is from the corner. The North Stand behind the goal for a few years was only partially completed which gave the stadium a very lopsided appearance and the South terracing is now a grass embankment. I will be interesting to see how this stadium develops over the next twenty years.

The match below is from a 1st Division meeting with QotS in February 2008, this is the only match I have ever fallen asleep at. It was a cold day so I brought down my McMurdo Parka which is like a big duvet, sat in the JH warm and cosy and at some point during this dull game which incidentally finished 0-0 I nodded of for 10 minutes during the 2nd half, then woken suddenly by the Thistle supporters reacting to a bad foul which resulted in a red card for a Queen's player. Now how did I manage to stay awake sometimes watching ICT at home under John Hughes' last season???

Partick Th v Queen of the South, (1), 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th v Queen of the South, (3a ) , 23rd Feb 08.jpg

Partick Th, Firhill Stadium, 23rd Feb 08.jpg

The tunnel at the side is a relatively recent thing it was originally at the halfway line.

34 minutes ago, thisal said:

The tunnel at the side is a relatively recent thing it was originally at the halfway line.

When was this, has to be last century, 80's, 90's?.

Found some older photos of Firhill online before the JH stand went up.

Image result for firhill stadium

Image result for firhill stadium

Image result for old firhill stadium

I'm seeing in this last one from about 1984 or 85 the offices and the newer players entrance hasn't been constructed yet.

Edited by CityDave