Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Is there any other uncovered seating alongside at the TCS and Pittodrie?  Cappielow has some uncovered benches at the away end I believe.  I remember seeing photos of Kilbowie that had benched seating as well.

Meadowbank has uncovered seating i think.

I like a night picture. One of the few old grounds left that have been left reasonably untouched and unusual for a number of reasons, like the lights on the stands and this covered stand shown with both standing and seating.

Cappielow Park, Greenock, 12th Jan 08.jpg

Edited by CityDave

11 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Would that be the Scottish Southern League Cup?

Correct! Aberdeen v Rangers in 1946 - 118,115. Congratulations.

11 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Summer Cup (mid-sixties?)

Nope.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Is there any other uncovered seating alongside at the TCS and Pittodrie?  Cappielow has some uncovered benches at the away end I believe.  I remember seeing photos of Kilbowie that had benched seating as well.

caldeonian-stadium.jpg

aerial.jpg

Cappielow_Park_-_geograph.org.uk_-_11950

Kilbowie:

f77fc782e8c21dd549f9d5975c1122bc.jpg

BL3UN94CAAEjULJ.jpg

BL8QEGfCcAAPrku.jpg

9 minutes ago, CowdenConvert said:

Meadowbank has uncovered seating i think.

Had - no longer, it's all been removed.

season-19811982-meadowbank-stadium-edinb

A view of the unusual J shaped covered standing area at Links Park. Was this meant to go all the way round opposite the Main Stand to behind the other goals to make a c shaped covered standing area? 

Football travels March 08 to May 08 001.jpg

I take it Aberdeen being in the Scottish Southern League Cup was to allow Dumbarton to be in the North Section of the BetFred Cup? 

The two best areas for away fans at Cappilow are shown above - the uncovered bench seating (where I stood in the sunshine to see Dunfermline win the Division One title) and the terracing with seating opposite the Main Stand (where we stood one night a season or so later and had a good view, was close to the turnstiles and "toilets" - a wall with a gutter) and being next to the Morton fans meant there was a bit of atmosphere. I don't understand why away fans don't get to stand there more often rather than having their knees dislocated sitting in the Main Stand.

38 minutes ago, CowdenConvert said:

You not a QoS fan?

looks like cappielow to me.

thatsthejoke.jpg

30 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I don't know if it's still there as I haven't been there for years, but I used to like the little Trumpton bandstand outside Stair Park in Stranraer.

Yeah, still there. Or at least it was the last time we played them a couple of years ago

20 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I take it Aberdeen being in the Scottish Southern League Cup was to allow Dumbarton to be in the North Section of the BetFred Cup? 

:lol: better than that. In 1945-46 everyone played in the Southern League and Southern League Cup. Remember the war was still ongoing when the season began: the Germans had surrendered in May, but the Japanese fought on until mid-August. It was only in 1946-47 that the Scottish League and Scottish Cup resumed, alongside a new Scottish League Cup - inspired by the Southern League Cup, introduced in 1940-41 to fill dates left by having 16 teams instead of 20.

Having checked there appear to have been 5 other cases of uncovered seats: temporary stand at Ochilview during Falkirk's stay; end stand at Gretna for 1 season; Gorgie end at Hearts; both ends at Hibs; Provost Road end and Derry's wings at Dundee.

season-19841985-dens-park-dundee-dens-pa

reb10.jpg

1288158962_891b51012a.jpg

12964999_262198447448744_1784317194_n.jp

There was also a temporary, uncovered stand at Celtic Park in the mid-late 1990s as the ground was being re-developed. Think I'm right in saying that Cappielow is the only ground in the UK with a standing area behind a seated one.

9 hours ago, energyzone said:

Perhaps because there are houses on the other side? Maybe the planning permission wasn't approved for that. It would block done sunlight although you could argue The Rock blocks much more.

Not because of the houses. The ground was there before the houses. Apparently it was Historic Scotland who insisted that the stand shouldn't face the castle.

18 hours ago, CityDave said:

That after thought of an away supporters area at Celtic Park, how anyone can see the whole pitch from there. Indeed its so far back its barely in the picture. Plenty of room though to double up on the stewards. ffs it was only Falkirk.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 046.jpg

Wind your neck in. What's wrong with that view? You can see the whole pitch from there and before you say you can't see the closest goal, that's because the camera you took it with wasn't wide enough. You need to remember you are in a 60000 capacity stadium, with two tiers, the top of which you look like you are near the front of. I'd say you're getting a pretty good view of the pics, and the atmosphere but some people want to moan.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

:lol: better than that. In 1945-46 everyone played in the Southern League and Southern League Cup. Remember the war was still ongoing when the season began: the Germans had surrendered in May, but the Japanese fought on until mid-August. It was only in 1946-47 that the Scottish League and Scottish Cup resumed, alongside a new Scottish League Cup - inspired by the Southern League Cup, introduced in 1940-41 to fill dates left by having 16 teams instead of 20.

Having checked there appear to have been 5 other cases of uncovered seats: temporary stand at Ochilview during Falkirk's stay; end stand at Gretna for 1 season; Gorgie end at Hearts; both ends at Hibs; Provost Road end and Derry's wings at Dundee.

season-19841985-dens-park-dundee-dens-pa

reb10.jpg

1288158962_891b51012a.jpg

12964999_262198447448744_1784317194_n.jp

Clydebank FC had benches all round Kilbowie Park.2016-08-29-17-35-14-1505674397.jpeg

RE: Old capacities.  I recall reading that these capacities were basically cut in half without any actual changes to the stadiums. Not sure if this was in the 60s or as late as around 1980?

7 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Wind your neck in. What's wrong with that view? You can see the whole pitch from there and before you say you can't see the closest goal, that's because the camera you took it with wasn't wide enough. You need to remember you are in a 60000 capacity stadium, with two tiers, the top of which you look like you are near the front of. I'd say you're getting a pretty good view of the pics, and the atmosphere but some people want to moan.

I'd try reading the post you're quoting a bit more closely. The picture posted by CityDave isn't from the away section he's talking about.

44 minutes ago, Toby said:

There was also a temporary, uncovered stand at Celtic Park in the mid-late 1990s as the ground was being re-developed. Think I'm right in saying that Cappielow is the only ground in the UK with a standing area behind a seated one.

I'm sure I've seen seating in front of terracing at some lower league English grounds, Ninian Park had it behind one of the goals. I really like the layout of Cappielow, East End Park is very sterile in comparison

10 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Well for starters that photo I took wasn't from the away section. This photo below is a view from opposite side of the ground towards where fans of the smaller club are supposed to watch the game. See from the line of stewards on the left to the steps beside the tunnel mark the boundaries where the fans sit between. I take it you have never sat in that wee corner bit stuck behind the Main Stand?.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 032.jpg

Edited by CityDave