Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

22 hours ago, JockysJetpack said:

Always thought it was odd that Dumbartons stadium doesn't face the Rock, given that it's the best thing to see in Dumbarton...

I'm sure there's a good reason why the stand has to be where it is in relation to the pitch, but it does seem a pity.  I've heard references to the stunning location of Dumbarton's ground, but you don't get a sense of that at all as a spectator.

I'm sure there's a good reason why the stand has to be where it is in relation to the pitch, but it does seem a pity.  I've heard references to the stunning location of Dumbarton's ground, but you don't get a sense of that at all as a spectator.

Perhaps because there are houses on the other side? Maybe the planning permission wasn't approved for that. It would block done sunlight although you could argue The Rock blocks much more.

3 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Perhaps because there are houses on the other side? Maybe the planning permission wasn't approved for that. It would block done sunlight although you could argue The Rock blocks much more.

Yes, I think I remember reading on here that they really had no option, but to go down the single stand route.  I can't remember why, but I think there was more to it than just the economic advantages of creating just the one building.

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That's the one, just remember thinking it was strange at the time. Through here and you're at the away gate, couldn't even see the ground before going through 

image.png

I always thought the way was for away fans to approach NDP was using the path that runs parallel with the railway track then down the hill into the car park, then round the back behind the away end and enter from the opposite side. There is a garden centre there if you approach going round the other side of the retail park. Maybe you can come round from that direction after crossing the railway track using the road bridge, but it looks the long way round.

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Firhill having a 70,000 capacity is insane. Think the biggest I've been in is when we played one of the arse cheeks in the early 90s when we had 3 sides terracing and that was 18,000. If you applied less rigorous H&S I reckon you could have got double in, but 4 times that? Mental.

I've been at a packed Firhill for cup ties against Hearts and Hibs when I would say there were 25 to 35 K there.

Also huge crowds at among others Shawfield and 120,000 at Hampden.

In those days , early 70's the cup was much bigger thing, a cup tie would draw a much bigger crowd than a league game between the same teams.

Also, as you have surmised H&S was non existent. I was at a New Years game at Thistle when the ice and snow was so deep there were no steps on the terrace just a long, steep icy slope. You could slalom from top to bottom. The pitch had been cleared tho so game was on.

The good old days Eh! 

Edited to remove a zero from the Hampden figure 

Edited by WILLIEA

Anyway, I quite like how Tannadice has five stands, must only one of a few in Scotland. I certainly can't think of another ground that I've been to that has five stands

I've been to Tannadice hunners of times and I don't get this?

The Shed, Jerry Kerr FairPlay, ET and George Fox? What's the one I'm missing?

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I've been to Tannadice hunners of times and I don't get this?

The Shed, Jerry Kerr FairPlay, ET and George Fox? What's the one I'm missing?

JK and Jim McLean Fair Play stand are two different stands.

20 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

International Challenge Matches
World Cup Qualifiers
British Home Championship
Scottish Cup
Scottish 'A' League/First Division/Premier Division

Summer Cup
Scottish League Cup
Dryburgh Cup (?)
Spring Cup

That's 5.

Require another 4.