Fallen Out of Love with the Champions League

Estragon

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk on twitter getting hard ons because barca and man city drawn together.

Honestly does anyone give a f**k. Big tteams are drawn together every single season.

In the old Euro Cup a Milan v Barca or Juve v Ajax was an amazing fixture.

Now it's as exciting as Man Utd v Chelsea.

I haven't watched a game before the final 4 in about 4 years.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I haven't watched a game before the final 4 in about 4 years.

Same apart from its the semi finals before i get interested

Uefa set to announce 4 guaranteed slots in group stage for Ita, Ger, Eng, Spa clubs today

f**k the Champions League. Last time I had any proper interest in it was about 2002. I watched the final in 2013, but only because it was on ITV.

Can't really add much to what has been written on here. It's boring as f**k and it's just a huge fix so that they can get as close to guaranteeing a procession to the later rounds for certain teams. 

Seeding in general can just f**k off. I hate it and would remove it from absolutely everything, especially in the Scottish game.

Agree with the sentiments on this thread - just to repost what I just wrote in the Europe forum:

I saw on Twitter that this new "4 places for the big leagues" is actually going to be announced this morning. Like plenty of people with diddy club sensibilities, I think it's a total joke but given that the CL has been (for me) a borefest for years, with by and large the same teams appearing all the time, I'm not surprised or particularly angry about it. The CL was custom designed to do exactly what it has done - ie, to maximise TV money and give most of said TV money to the biggest clubs - so why should we be surprised as it goes towards it's logical conclusion, an invite-only tournament where the size of the TV market and not sporting merit decide who's "in".

One thing that would annoy me, was if clubs from the "mid sized" leagues in Holland, Belgium, Scotland, etc were to complain after 20 years of reaping financial rewards that were utterly out of proportion to their domestic leagues. The CL has been massively beneficial to the "pot 3 & 4" clubs and has allowed already strong clubs domestically to become unassailable. You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh at the irony of Celtic being disadvantaged by the votes of like-minded big clubs looking after themselves to the detriment of the diddy clubs*...

*and fans of teams further along the diddy club spectrum can think back to stadium and pitch criteria for the SPL and laugh at a supporter of a founder member talking about "sporting merit" :) 

I completely agree with what has been said in this thread and it's much the same with how I feel about the EPL also despite Leicester winning it last season. Will still watch it mind you.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

f**k the Champions League. Last time I had any proper interest in it was about 2002. I watched the final in 2013, but only because it was on ITV.

Can't really add much to what has been written on here. It's boring as f**k and it's just a huge fix so that they can get as close to guaranteeing a procession to the later rounds for certain teams. 

Seeding in general can just f**k off. I hate it and would remove it from absolutely everything, especially in the Scottish game.

Spot on.

What an absolute piss take this new rule is. 

I still watch football on tv whether it be Champions League, the vastly over rated English Premier League dross or Scottish games but I agree I have certainly lost the passion for it. As soon as you bring seeding into any competition you are rigging it. I can't help myself though, what else am I going to watch? That Bake Off nonsense? or Eastenders? fck that.

Listening to the Champions League anthem used to give me a pinger but now it just reminds whats wrong with football these days, it's just one big gimmick. I thought the Celtic fans with their 'ethics' would be against such corruption but they are lapping it up because they are the latest little piggie to get their nose in the trough.

During that close season International Cup tournament journos were suggesting it was actually a toe in the water for taking Champions League games abroad. It makes sense. They've saturated the European market so world domination would be the obvious next step.

As I've just posted elsewhere:

So 18 of 32 places will be taken by 'Big 4' and CL & EL title holders.

Country performance will no longer contribute to club coefficients. Undefined "historic success" will now contribute to club coefficients.

Clubs with bigger coefficients will receive more money.

It's a capitulation.

Absolute nonsense, the Champions league has become a farce.

I take it these moves are an attempt by the other big leagues to ensure more income to counteract the ridiculous money in the EPL?

It's been said before plenty of times but I don't care if Scottish football is shite quality. I'd rather watch Stranraer or Hearts or Musselburgh Athletic than a champions league QF

4 spots for Italy, a country where only one club has done anything of note and often struggles to get the 3rd club through the play off round. :thumbsdown

At least they are saying they're doing something about the media markets having less of an effect for prize money and giving more to clubs who lose in the play offs, and they didn't go down the 'wild card' route Milan wanted but it's still grim.

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

4 spots for Italy, a country where only one club has done anything of note and often struggles to get the 3rd club through the play off round. :thumbsdown

At least they are saying they're doing something about the media markets having less of an effect for prize money and giving more to clubs who lose in the play offs, and they didn't go down the 'wild card' route Milan wanted but it's still grim.

Since the non-champions pathway came in for 2008-09 their team has won QR4 only 2 times in 8 seasons (Fiorentina in 2009-10 and AC Milan in 2013-14). They haven't been in the top 3 in the coefficient table, which means 4 CL slots instead of 3, since 2011. To have succeeded in attaching themselves to England, Spain and Germany and obtained 4 automatic groupstage places is astonishing.

Of course the problem is UEFA have now left themselves with only 14 slots left to cater for all other champions and runners-up and no doubt France and Portugal will be wanting a "good deal" too.

Archived