The Ladbrokes Life

Curious if Gamblers Anonymous has the same religious aspect as Alcoholics & Narcotics Anonymous - I understand a lot of their advice revolves around accepting that there's a God, and giving up control to your deity of choice. Sounds like something that would have a decent percentage of the population running for the hills.

Very first meeting I went to they discussed giving yourself up to a higher power, but they did stress that this higher power was the room, rather than God. And whilst straining not to slag it, I genuinely did get the feeling it was like a cult. Couldn't stop thinking of Homer and the Leader...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although these FOBT are indeed the cause of many people's woes, I don't agree with limiting the number per shop or bet per hour amount.

People are responsible for their own actions and professional help should be an is available for those with a problem. It seems a bit nanny state like for my liking.

Is this for real, Philpy?

Afraid so, yes. I went to GA the day after I told the wife what i'd done. Tell you what, I was glad to see the back of the place. It was like some of the people were almost boasting about what they had lost.

Afraid so, yes. I went to GA the day after I told the wife what i'd done. Tell you what, I was glad to see the back of the place. It was like some of the people were almost boasting about what they had lost.

Sorry to hear that, Philpy.

Hope you've knocked it on the head.

I'm managing in Ladbrokes atm while I figure out what to do and agree totally about the FOBT's. They're ludicrous and the only reason the shop's open 8:30 till 10 364 days a year. It's a piece of piss job and usually the majority of the punters are decent enough but before 11 and after 7/8 you're lucky to see more than 3-4 people not playing the machines. You'll even get folk coming in at 21:50 and blowing a couple of hundred before we close at 10. I've taken to locking the door at quarter to partially out of a desire to get home at a reasonable time and partially cause it just feels too grim to see someone doing that to themselves so late.

7 hours ago, Adam said:

Very first meeting I went to they discussed giving yourself up to a higher power, but they did stress that this higher power was the room, rather than God. And whilst straining not to slag it, I genuinely did get the feeling it was like a cult. Couldn't stop thinking of Homer and the Leader...

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here's a long read from the Guardian about the dangers of working in a betting shop - CLICK.

Pretty scary stuff all round. Definitely worth 30 minutes of your time.

Profit before people 

Cost cutting is rife in the bookies just now. Single manning has been rolled out in other major bookies and one of the biggest ones is currently making severe wage/rank cuts across the country - all because of the failings of the guys at the top (who get a hefty pay off).

A shop in Ayr was held up by a guy with a knife - the punters decked him and sat on him until the police arrived - "Naebody threatens oor lassies!".

Another down south was held up by a guy wearing a WW1 (or 2) gas mask. Knocked unconscious by punters and before the police got there he died from inhaling poisonous particles still remaining in the mask.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here's a long read from the Guardian about the dangers of working in a betting shop - CLICK.

Fucking Hell.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That was some read. f**k working in a bookies.

For the modern punter who needs to juggle grabbing a quick pint, doing the shopping for the Missus AND shovelling £300 into a FOBT, you could do worse than go to this "Leisure and Shopping complex" near Shawlands. 

(btw, the William Hills is located in the penthouse at the top right of the shopping mall).

shithole.png

Frightening indeed - some read though!

I don't think I will develop a gambling problem despite betting every week. Usually bet £10-£15 on a Saturday, occasionally £5 on a Sunday and occasionally midweek. Don't even particularly care about the money it's more the enjoyment of following a coupon and the satisfaction of being occasionally right that keeps me interested. It has somewhat ruined my enjoyment of the beautiful game right enough.

On 23/08/2016 at 00:02, Dr Watson said:

Sadly, this architectural masterpiece no longer exists as a Turf Accountants but still stands to this day as a memory of the good old days. A visit to Cappielow was never complete until one visited beforehand to acclimatise to the rather ghastly surroundings ahead.

bookies.png

How long ago was that a bookies? I've always thought it was just part of the Arnold Clark there.

Great read there Fabregas.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

How long ago was that a bookies? I've always thought it was just part of the Arnold Clark there.

Good lord, now you're asking.

I've absolutely no idea when it closed but it was certainly a Tote in the early 90's.

15 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Disgusting, but unsurprising.

Grimly amusing to read the parts where people - a judge, no less - seem to entertain the possibility that a company might think of its employees' wellbeing at the expense of profit.

On 8/25/2016 at 22:42, Adam said:

Na na na na na na na na bookies...

Archived