Arbroath vs Stirling Albion

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol::lol::lol: I'd love you to try and explain to us all why you think Stevie Doris is a 'p***k' :lol:

Tbf dont even think he's a p***k, he was our top scorer and i did feel bad for him at times last season, playing upfront himself with our route 1 pish

But calling him a p***k makes robert a seething mess, so has to be said

How are the Arbroath fans getting on with the manager? There must have been some amount of stick going his way over the years when he was manager of Brechin and Forfar.
I suppose the true test will be if it goes wrong on the park.

15 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Tbf dont even think he's a p***k, he was our top scorer and i did feel bad for him at times last season, playing upfront himself with our route 1 pish

But calling him a p***k makes robert a seething mess, so has to be said

There are times when a person has nothing to say, it is best to say nothing.

How are the Arbroath fans getting on with the manager? There must have been some amount of stick going his way over the years when he was manager of Brechin and Forfar.

Its not been going brilliantly considering some of the players we have but we had a tough pre season and theres been encouraging signs in the last few games.

I dont think there were too many of us happy when campbell was appointed but he was the best manager available at the time. To be fair he's not signed alot of big players (i think we only have a couple over 6ft?) so theres not alot of the long ball football we were expecting. With the squad we've got and a decent start to the league we should be in the playoffs at least.

Its not been going brilliantly considering some of the players we have but we had a tough pre season and theres been encouraging signs in the last few games.

I dont think there were too many of us happy when campbell was appointed but he was the best manager available at the time. To be fair he's not signed alot of big players (i think we only have a couple over 6ft?) so theres not alot of the long ball football we were expecting. With the squad we've got and a decent start to the league we should be in the playoffs at least.

Maybe in your own circles.

Everybody I knew was ecstatic when he got the job.

And we've got off to a fine start in the league, the LC games (after we went out) and pre season friendlies were just used to get players game time. Think a few people were way too quick to jump on the back of a few bad results...

In the league we've got 2 draws and a win which is probably fair although we probably should've beaten Berwick and can feel hard done by with that. Good signings and good squad, Campbell's done well so far in the league and I'm glad he's ours.

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe in your own circles.

Everybody I knew was ecstatic when he got the job.

And we've got off to a fine start in the league, the LC games (after we went out) and pre season friendlies were just used to get players game time. Think a few people were way too quick to jump on the back of a few bad results...

In the league we've got 2 draws and a win which is probably fair although we probably should've beaten Berwick and can feel hard done by with that. Good signings and good squad, Campbell's done well so far in the league and I'm glad he's ours.

Ecstatic is pushing things I would have thought :lol: As afc_36_0 says he was the best option at the time and therefore the correct appointment. Currently Dick has the worst record of any manager we've ever had in our history who has been at the club over 10 games. With the same squad of players last year, Todd averaged more points per game than Dick did - both of these points are are indisputable facts. Of course it is slightly unfair to judge Dick based on how he has done with a previous managers squad of players, and you certainly can't judge a manager 3 league games into a new season (although it is 10 competitive games overall by my count, which is worth remembering). However, Dick's appointment didn't see any improvement in our results at all, and this was with his tactics, his formations, his man management and his motivational skills. Signing players is ONE part of management (one of the most important) but there are far more things to being a manager than being able to attract the players.

Dick hasn't done a good job so far. I find it laughable that anyone could think he has done a good job so far - just look at the facts mentioned above. However, I am very confident Dick will do a good job going forward, and I think we're in a very good position squad wise. He has built a tremendous squad for this level, and I firmly believe that individually we have the best group of players in the division - Dick has to be commended for that, he has made some outstanding signings. I would be very surprised if Dick doesn't have us right up the top this season due to the squad he has assembled.

However - there is far more to management than just signing good players. So far, I think Todd was better tactically and with the substitutions he made (very early days to judge something like this though - really can only be properly commented on in 4-6 months time). He was absolutely woeful at picking a player though, and he wasted some amount of money on utter drivel which ultimately was his downfall. He could not attract players to save himself/ his job whereas there is no doubting Dick's ability to sign quality players when needed.

So far, Dick has proved he is able to spot a player, attract quality players and put together a good squad with great depth, which is fantastic. He was not proved himself in other areas so far, although it is obviously very early days in terms of this season. If Dick gets the players to work together, finds the formation that they work in and has them fully motivated then we will win the league in my opinion. I'm fully behind him and firmly believe he will do a very good job, but it is ridiculous to argue he has done a good job so far. Basic facts tell us otherwise.

It's not a push though. After Todd we have went and got a guy that's won leagues and has a great record with rival clubs. He's proven. Even if there were more options available I'm not sure who would've actually been better? DC has a fantastic record in the lower leagues if you're no happy with him who can you be happy with?

Todd was slated every single week for his tactics, not playing 4-4-2 didn't make him some kind of tactical genius.

Leagues what has mattered. After United and Dunfermline we were out of that LC group, last 2 games in it were effectively pre season. Lost AET to EF which isn't a bad result. Think judging him 10 league games into the season would be more fair to be honest. Not with last seasons squad and not in games that haven't really mattered.

See what like after then and assess it.

Not confident for this game at all sadly. I think the manager has recruited well in the forward areas and the defence has been solid the last two matches but the centre of midfield needs changed. We need Mazel or McQue in the middle instead of Dickson who is a complete passenger.

52 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Not confident for this game at all sadly. I think the manager has recruited well in the forward areas and the defence has been solid the last two matches but the centre of midfield needs changed. We need Mazel or McQue in the middle instead of Dickson who is a complete passenger.

Agree with your comments re central midfield, Sean Dickson I have no doubt will start against Arbroath and will once again not doubt run around a lot but produce nothing. Why Mazel is not starting I don`t know unless McLaren thinks Him and Hodge both play similar roles. Still we have got a new striker in from Alloa who will feature no doubt during this match.  Hopeful we can get a point against Arbroath.

It's a funny thing in a way, anyone who remembers the play-off final against Forfar, when that one supporter spent the whole game at Gayfield screaming " Dick Campbell, killin fitba" must watch out for him if we have a bad run

Things have gone exactly how I thought they would after 3 games, its a completely new team with pretty much 3 regulars left from last season. After the 1st quarter we will be able to take stock and see where we are. 3 points tomorrow would mean a solid start to the season, 8 points from 12 I would've been happy with. You'll always get some who are never happy.

I really dont see what McCue brings, granted he bursts a gut but thats about all he has offered when ive seen him play

Before gorilla forgot to pay his bills, somebody had slated mcque for his performance but he's not a left winger. Can see why the manager stuck him there for his work rate but not really his best position.

I watched Dickson closely last week. In fairness to him, he always offers an option at a throw in and he does run about a lot. He can also play a good pass on occasion. What he doesn't do at times is move into good spaces. He won't ask for the ball in tight situations and if he plays a dreadful pass to a team mate, he will blame them for his mistake. I think the manager views him as some sort of leader in the midfield because he shouts a lot. A complete passenger but happy to be proved wrong.

Archived