Pars vs. Doonhamers

Tbf at times we try to play it on the deck, get up the park and promptly shit our pants when we realise we don't know what to do next. See Raith Rovers first half last week, all the ball no idea.

Sometimes we go through phases of just dishing the ball out to Williamson and hoping he can skin 3 boys and lay it on a plate, sometimes we hope Cardle can cut inside a couple and put one in the top bin, and othertimes it's either a Higginbothom or Geggan howitzer.

We just have no idea what to do with it in the final third, we seem to have no idea what Reilly wants, he certainly doesn't want crosses into the box (he's never in a suitable position to receive a Williamson cross on the odd time it's a good 'un) he doesn't want to receive it deep and turn and run ala Faiss and it doesn't look like he wants a ball in behind the striker.

Unless your Dobbie and you can do it all yourself there comes a time when you need to co-operate with the midfielders, these good runs aren't at the right time when someone is actually in a position to release the ball, at one point today he did make a good run, however Moffat had the ball and had his back to him, it was pointless. I have no idea what type of balls Reilly thrives on and neither does anyone else in the team.

We were spoiled with Faiss who was a step above Reilly in pretty much everything but the likes of Paton have played with Reilly before and AJ managed him so I don't know what's going on. It is plausible Reilly isn't actually that good.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Barely played, good player to bring on against tiring full backs. I'd fancy him up against Hammil today.

Would take off Moffat or Reilly, put Higginbothom more central and get McMullan wide left against Hammil.

If we'd kept Falky and released Moffat we'd have one striker atm, what logic are you on?

If Moffat had been released I think we might have been just a little bit more urgent in our pursuit of a striker, I'm not picturing AJ just not resigning Moff and getting Reilly in with nobody else. The waiting for Fais was a mistake too, we should have been actively pursuing other targets and if one was available we should have pulled the trigger, whether he was ready or not. If you say to him "the offers on the table as long as you want" he can pursue every possible avenue before he settles where he was before, if you say to him "We've found someone, it's now or never, sign or we're signing him and the offer is gone." then it forces his hand and doesn't lead to a football club sitting waiting for a player.

4 games down, one win at home to Dumbarton, 3 losses in a row, admittedly two very difficult games in those. Still, this is the kind of run you can endure, but we desperately need to start picking up points.We have Utd at home, Morton away and St Mirren at home next three, we have to be looking to get 7 points from those 3, if we get less than 4 we need to start thinking about avoiding the wrong end of the table.

how the QOTS player can come through the back of Spence and it not be a penalty and a red card baffles me. In terms of red card both players went in with feet off the ground so don't understand how you can penalise one and not the other. In terms of whether we deserved anything the inability of Queens to kill game meant that had we got stonewall penalty and scored we would have got something out of the game. Ayr paid the price for not killing game with late St Mirren equaliser today

AJ doesn't stand much of a chance of implementing a plan b when all he has to lean on is Sandy Clark. Very satisfying to have taken 3 points from that cock.

In addition to him we've so far beaten teams managed by Gus Macpherson, Neil Lennon, Ian McCall and Peter Houston this season. A real who's who of complete arseholes of Scottish football. Pleasing.

Why is AJ an arsehole? Just because he left you to go to a much bigger team in the Premiership? Have a word, eh?

AJ needs to get it sorted pronto for us or we're in for a relegation battle.

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Why is AJ an arsehole? Just because he left you to go to a much bigger team in the Premiership? Have a word, eh?

I think he meant Sandy Clark. The way he handled Nicky Clarks situation while assistant at queens was very poor even though we were resigned to losing him his dad was in the press touting him for moves. 

AJ will always be remembered by me with affection after the season we ran away with league one. We'll never know how he would have coped with the championship, maybe he would have struggled.

Reilly is a good player, I know Hearts fans who would rather he was still with them, but as is clear from my earlier post and various Pars posts, it isn't working out for him at DA yet.

7 hours ago, DAFC. said:

As Broony88 has already pointed out, I think it's quite clear it is Sandy Clark and not AJ that Palmy_Calmmy is referring to.

Onto the game though, we were clearly the better team up until the red card but inexplicably seem to let Dunfermline into it thereafter!

Couldn't tell much about the penalty claim at the end but was amazed the ball didn't end in the net when Robinson palmed the initial shot directly back into play (it was a fair ping tho!)

Not a great performance but great to to get another rare away win!

7 hours ago, DAFC. said:

He doesn't call AJ an arsehole.

4 hours ago, Broony88 said:

I think he meant Sandy Clark. The way he handled Nicky Clarks situation while assistant at queens was very poor even though we were resigned to losing him his dad was in the press touting him for moves. 

This.  Entirely this.

The fact that Sandy Clark didn't even recognise a conflict of interest that required him to keep his mouth firmly shut on the matter, was thoroughly disrespectful to Queens.

11 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Tbf at times we try to play it on the deck, get up the park and promptly shit our pants when we realise we don't know what to do next. See Raith Rovers first half last week, all the ball no idea.

Sometimes we go through phases of just dishing the ball out to Williamson and hoping he can skin 3 boys and lay it on a plate, sometimes we hope Cardle can cut inside a couple and put one in the top bin, and othertimes it's either a Higginbothom or Geggan howitzer.

We just have no idea what to do with it in the final third, we seem to have no idea what Reilly wants, he certainly doesn't want crosses into the box (he's never in a suitable position to receive a Williamson cross on the odd time it's a good 'un) he doesn't want to receive it deep and turn and run ala Faiss and it doesn't look like he wants a ball in behind the striker.

Unless your Dobbie and you can do it all yourself there comes a time when you need to co-operate with the midfielders, these good runs aren't at the right time when someone is actually in a position to release the ball, at one point today he did make a good run, however Moffat had the ball and had his back to him, it was pointless. I have no idea what type of balls Reilly thrives on and neither does anyone else in the team.

We were spoiled with Faiss who was a step above Reilly in pretty much everything but the likes of Paton have played with Reilly before and AJ managed him so I don't know what's going on. It is plausible Reilly isn't actually that good.

Given he's one of only two players who've managed a league goal maybe you're problems are elsewhere. Having watched the highlights, its Reilly who sets up Moffat for, arguably the best chance. He's also out wide when the shot was hit, late on.

9 hours ago, mikedafc said:

how the QOTS player can come through the back of Spence and it not be a penalty and a red card baffles me. In terms of red card both players went in with feet off the ground so don't understand how you can penalise one and not the other. In terms of whether we deserved anything the inability of Queens to kill game meant that had we got stonewall penalty and scored we would have got something out of the game. Ayr paid the price for not killing game with late St Mirren equaliser today

Er, maybe because Talbot jumped into Jacobs with both feet and Tapping didnt. The two arent remotely comparable.

Having watched it again, theres definitely a good shout for a penalty. It doesnt look like the "stonewaller" some have claimed. The only question mark, that the highlights dont show, is whether Tapping gets anything on the ball.

After the Dumbarton game on the opening day, I thought we would score plenty of goals this season but struggle to keep them out at the other end. I did get one bit right anyway :(

Last six competitive games, we've won one and lost five, scoring six and conceding 15. That's not good enough. New striker and some much better performances after the International break please.

33 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Just watched the lowlights and whoever said that was a poor pass to Moffat for his chance was talking out his erchie. Was on a plate for him. 

Where can I see the highlights?

Just watched the lowlights and whoever said that was a poor pass to Moffat for his chance was talking out his erchie. Was on a plate for him. 

That was me and I stand by it, play it infront of him slightly and Moffat can let it roll across his body and hit it on his right, because it's level/slightly behind he hits it on his weaker left.

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That was me and I stand by it, play it infront of him slightly and Moffat can let it roll across his body and hit it on his right, because it's level/slightly behind he hits it on his weaker left.

Reilly plays the cross with his weaker foot. Any striker at this level should be scoring with a free shot from 10 yards out. Theres nothing wrong with the pass

That was a grim watch.

McCabe and Talbot totally ball-watching for the goal and Lyle just sneaks in between them. Truly awful.

Moffat's miss was all due to confidence. No power, no conviction, just a timid prod at goal. I don't think he's terrific at the best of times but he's no good to us playing like that.

Red card is just Talbot trying to make up for giving up the ball but it's late and over the top; deserved sending off.

Ben has to score that header, it really wasn't that difficult a chance.

Didn't get a good enough look for the penalty. Didn't look like one on first viewing though.

Are we just going to ignore the 2 QotS players who were in the way of any pass towards the six yard box? Are we also going to ignore the fact that Moffat did actually run onto this ball, before his back pass to their keeper? Or how about the fact that he had time to take a touch, if he wasn't comfortable on his left foot.... Don't think, in that situation, Reilly could have played a better ball to him. Any closer to the goal and one of the 2 defenders would intercept it. Moffat was at the edge of the box when the pass was made, and hit the ball about 12 yards out. That's certainly not been played behind him! At the end of the day, Moffat's a striker. He was signed (albeit, by a different manager initially) to be a goal scorer. He should at least make the keeper work. You put your laces through the ball in that area, you don't side foot it.

That said, Moffat probably wasn't the worst performer yesterday. BRE, Ashcroft, Williamson, Geggan, McCabe, Reilly, Paton, Higginbotham & Talbot were all poor as well. Yes, that's the full outfield starting 10 players. Hutton didn't do anything wrong, but as I mentioned earlier, his lack of command in his area was targeted - with every set piece being played on top of his head. Didn't cost us anything, so he's the only player to get pass marks for me, that started the game. Thought McMullan looked tricky when he came on, but there was no final ball. Martin is solid enough at LB, without being magnificent. He knows his limitations and tries to adapt his game to suit his strengths.

That was a grim watch.

McCabe and Talbot totally ball-watching for the goal and Lyle just sneaks in between them. Truly awful.

Moffat's miss was all due to confidence. No power, no conviction, just a timid prod at goal. I don't think he's terrific at the best of times but he's no good to us playing like that.

Red card is just Talbot trying to make up for giving up the ball but it's late and over the top; deserved sending off.

Ben has to score that header, it really wasn't that difficult a chance.

Didn't get a good enough look for the penalty. Didn't look like one on first viewing though.

With regards to the goal, Lyle was Ben's man. You can see that, thanks to our TV crew focussing on what's going on in the box. Ben picks him up, then as soon as the ball goes over his head, leaves Lyle unmarked. Agree that McCabe and Talbot should have been quicker to react, but the blame for Lyle being unmarked, has to lie with the man marking him - who wasn't even within 2/3 yards of him when the ball was played back across the goal! Ben's cost us a few goals/decent chances lately. Needs to start learning from his mistakes, otherwise we will keep conceding these soft goals and end up in a relegation fight.

9 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

With regards to the goal, Lyle was Ben's man. You can see that, thanks to our TV crew focussing on what's going on in the box. Ben picks him up, then as soon as the ball goes over his head, leaves Lyle unmarked. Agree that McCabe and Talbot should have been quicker to react, but the blame for Lyle being unmarked, has to lie with the man marking him - who wasn't even within 2/3 yards of him when the ball was played back across the goal! Ben's cost us a few goals/decent chances lately. Needs to start learning from his mistakes, otherwise we will keep conceding these soft goals and end up in a relegation fight.

Lyle's movement and reactions in the box have left a lot better defenders than Ben Richards-Everton looking silly to be fair. It's great cross from Hamill but Dowie gets it far, far too easy on the header back across goal too.

I'm not at all convinced on that angle about this "stonewall" penalty either. Looks an outstanding goal saving tackle by Tapping for me but I guess we all see what we want to see.  A camera angle from the other side would be telling but presumably there isn't one?

The Talbot red card doesn't look quite as awful from that side as it did from the other side but it's still over the top and a clear red. Which pretty much nobody has disputed to be fair.

Archived