Ayr Utd V St Mirren 27/08

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Logie55 said:

Plays when he wants , hammy must be due anytime soon , clocks are due to go back as well . He's gid on the baw though . So is my missus . Must do more for me

Him or the missus?

Much improved performance today from Ayr. Devlin,Murphy, Meggat, Boyle, Gilmour, Adams all had good performances. Gilly or Meggat were our best players. Harkins missed 2 great chances. We sat too deep in the 2nd half but I never saw the goal coming as I felt we were comfortable. Cairney is not fit enough but the boy Nisbet could do a job for us upfront. Gutted to drop 2 points.

Much improved performance today from Ayr. Devlin,Murphy, Meggat, Boyle, Gilmour, Adams all had good performances. Gilly or Meggat were our best players. Harkins missed 2 great chances. We sat too deep in the 2nd half but I never saw the goal coming as I felt we were comfortable. Cairney is not fit enough but the boy Nisbet could do a job for us upfront. Gutted to drop 2 points.

The goal had been coming for a long time. If we'd have won that game it would've entirely been down to St mirren being dreadful in the final third.

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The goal had been coming for a long time. If we'd have won that game it would've entirely been down to St mirren being dreadful in the final third.

Or us being far better defensively.....

We sat far too deep but generally defensively fine. 

Dealt with Sutton very well, as well as Hardie who scored plenty last season too. St Mirren didn't have many clear cut chances.

However we still have clear weaknesses, we have two weeks before our next game, we need another centre half and a left sided midfielder before then. Docherty and Adams as first choice in the middle with Cairney as back up at the moment. 

I'd put both Crawford and Wardrope ahead of Cairney who was utterly, utterly woeful today.  Almost as bad as Harkins, who seemed to think he could beat six SM players on his own, missed two (or was it three) absolute sitters and spent the rest of the game standing around looking huffy.  Shocking display.

On the plus side - that was the best I've seen Gilmour play.  I'm usually critical of his Hollywood lightweight tendencies but he was outstanding yesterday.

That equaliser demonstrates why we need to find a centre half - Devlin might have been sleeping at the back post, but the root of the problem is the failure to compete for the high ball.  As soon as the ball bounces on your own 6 yard line, you've got a problem.

8 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Devlin might have been sleeping at the back post, but the root of the problem is the failure to compete for the high ball.

I've said for ages that his positioning isn't the greatest and he often fails to track runners but i think he was struggling at the end yesterday after getting clattered at the other end a few minutes beforehand.

Ayr threw that away yesterday. Decided at half-time that being 1-0 up and St Mirren being shite all they had to do was defend and they had 3 points so sat back in the second half. Reckon if they had continued pushing forward  the same way as in the first half they would have won ok. But having 11 men behind the ball is always risky even against us.

I don't understand McCall in his interview when he highlights the murmurings about Gilmour. I like gilly and I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognises his ability with passing. Last season I felt that most good stuff we did was orchestrated by him or at least went through him. What mccall is doing by highlighting something that's not really the problem can only be deflection because it's not necessary and is very negative. If he's trying to accentuate his own belief in the player in a don't listen to them I know you're good type situation then I'm not agreeing with that. There's no divide Iain so don't create one. 

18 minutes ago, young buck said:

I don't understand McCall in his interview when he highlights the murmurings about Gilmour. I like gilly and I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognises his ability with passing. Last season I felt that most good stuff we did was orchestrated by him or at least went through him. What mccall is doing by highlighting something that's not really the problem can only be deflection because it's not necessary and is very negative. If he's trying to accentuate his own belief in the player in a don't listen to them I know you're good type situation then I'm not agreeing with that. There's no divide Iain so don't create one. 

Completely agree with this; he's said it a few times now. Anyone who doesn't think Gilmour is up to it is in the minority now. Showed yesterday that he's good enough for this level even with him still lacking in match fitness. 

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Completely agree with this; he's said it a few times now. Anyone who doesn't think Gilmour is up to it is in the minority now. Showed yesterday that he's good enough for this level even with him still lacking in match fitness. 

I'm surprised at some of the differing views on players performances yesterday.

Gilmour was head and shoulders above anyone in the 1st half.

Cairney looks unfit and slow.

Harkins walked about disinterested for large chunks of that game, when you throw in missing a couple of sitters it really highlights how little he brought to the team yesterday.

Perhaps the heat had a wee bit to do with the performance of Cairney and Harkins, hope so as they've both comfortably got the talent for this division.

In my opinion anyone that disagrees with my assessment of those 3 players wasn't watching the game through sober unblinkered eyes.

Yesterday was the 1st signs that we might just manage to survive in this league, time and a few signings will tell.

4 hours ago, young buck said:

I also don't like how he singles players out for public criticism I.e. Devlin yesterday. That sort of stuff should be kept for the dressing room IMO. 

Harkins just walked about for most of the game and managed to miss an absolute sitter at the death, I've no idea how a coach can expect to encourage players to work hard without setting an example himself, hopefully it was just an off day for him because we can't afford to carry 2 or 3 empty jerseys every week. 

Well gents.......there you are.......remember the abuse I got when I warned you after the Queens game! Wait until winter sets in and he really gets bored.

Archived