La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

The Spanish football federation will earn 50 million euros for taking the Super Cup to Saudi Arabia, according to Marca. 42m of that will go to the four competing clubs, the remainder to lower league football.
When the cheques are this big, who cares about anything else.

Silly amount of money that teams wont say no to

Three cracking free kicks, the two Messi ones virtually identical.

Busquets now becoming prolific; two years since his last league goal but it had been three years prior to that.  Good composed finish too.

Greissman still not yet learning to play the Barca way.

Seville derby about to start. Usually a decent game.

Atletico with a decent three points earlier. Tough period for them just now with both centre halves out. Any team in the world would miss Gimenez and it's vital to get him back soon. 

Six games in a row that Morata has scored as well. He needs to keep this up if there is any chance of challenging this season.

Edited by JMDP

Seville derby about to start. Usually a decent game.
Atletico with a decent three points earlier. Tough period for them just now with both centre halves out. Any team in the world would miss Gimenez and it's vital to get him back soon. 
Six games in a row that Morata has scored as well. He needs to keep this up if there is any chance of challenging this season.

Always rated Gimenez. He never got spoken about as much as Godin for some reason, despite him being really young for a CB.

19 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Always rated Gimenez. He never got spoken about as much as Godin for some reason, despite him being really young for a CB.

Yeah, he's a fantastic player and as you say, still young. Reads the game brilliantly, brave, good distribution and a threat at set pieces too. Mad that he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I rate Felipe and Hermoso highly but Atleti are definitely much more solid with Gimenez and Savic fit. 

Outside of Leo Messi and Christiano Ronaldo who are your favourite players in La Liga over the years? 
I started taking an interest in Athletic when this lad was knocking them in with his napper.
IMG_20191008_010528.thumb.jpg.a8de822874bae7b98d69461d7c2ceb21.jpg
Also enjoyed seeing Guerrero, Yesté and Etxeberria. 

Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta are all obviously up there, but the 90’s were when I first properly started watching La Liga and were more ‘my generation’.

This is the guy who I’d credit for being my first favourite La Liga player.

IMG_0531.jpg

23 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Ouch.

Yeah, I live about a mile away and run down the river opppsite a couple of times a week, it is pretty sad to see it coming down.

The consolation is the Metropolitano is fantastic. 

Spanish national brodcaster TVE (their version of the BBC) is refusing to brodcast the Supercopa De Espana taking place in Saudi Arabia on humanatarian grounds. Other potential brodcasters are also not bidding for the rights.

No La Liga this weekend but it is the first weekend of La Liga Genuine - a tournament held over 6 weekends of the season for players with learning difficulties. Most of the top teams in Spain have a team in it and have days where they train with the first team and stuff. Genuinely inspiring.

Edited by JMDP

• 2 weeks later...

Tough came tonight in conditions that better suited Atletico.  Superb goal with Suarez touch a thing of beauty also.  Incredible that Barca managed to keep a clean sheet with some incredible reflex saves from Ter Stegen.

Referee should be pulled up for not giving Pique a second yellow and for his subsequent decision to ‘even it out’.

IMG_4360.jpg

What a stadium.

Atletico were solid at the back with Barcelona dominating possession after the first 15 minutes, without really creating much. Ter Stegen made 2 excellent saves against the run of play.

Nothing really needs to be said about Messi that hasn’t already been said before, the man is peerless on a football pitch.