La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

Yeah, it has gotten really tight at the top. Huge game for Atletico on Wednesday at home to Bilbao. A win there stretches the lead to 6 over Barcelona.

Whilst the Benzema equaliser was disappointing, there was a clear improvement on Atleti from being at almost full strength for the first time in a long while. Trippier and Carrasco being back allowed Llorente to play in a more advanced role where he was fantastic again. They only had themselves to blame for dropping the late goal as the number of chances they had to kill off the game was crazy.

Should be an interesting finish to the season anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona are back. They've been brilliant the last couple of months, rattling in goals from all over the place. All from open play too.

So many good young players, and everyone playing with a smile on their face.

Its like watching Barcelona again. Fantastic.

Ageuro, Garcia, maybe Wijnaldum and Depay coming in on a free in the summer. They will be a force to be reckoned with again next season. Brilliant stuff. 

I knew Messi was playing well just now, but in his last 14 games he’s scored 18 goals, has 8 assists and has been man of the match 13 times. That is just absolutely ludicrous. He’s going to drag them kicking and screaming to the league again.

On 21/03/2021 at 21:49, HalfCutNinja said:

Barcelona are back. They've been brilliant the last couple of months, rattling in goals from all over the place. All from open play too.

So many good young players, and everyone playing with a smile on their face.

Its like watching Barcelona again. Fantastic.

Ageuro, Garcia, maybe Wijnaldum and Depay coming in on a free in the summer. They will be a force to be reckoned with again next season. Brilliant stuff. 

I noticed that in the Spain squad for the Greece game there were two Barca players, both on the bench neither of whom came on.  Quite a reversal from the days when Spain were dominating World and European football.

On 21/03/2021 at 22:13, J_Stewart said:

I knew Messi was playing well just now, but in his last 14 games he’s scored 18 goals, has 8 assists and has been man of the match 13 times. That is just absolutely ludicrous. He’s going to drag them kicking and screaming to the league again.

He looked disinterested the first part of the season but something has happened.  His form has been even more impressive given the standard of players around him compared to a couple of seasons ago.

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I noticed that in the Spain squad for the Greece game there were two Barca players, both on the bench neither of whom came on.  Quite a reversal from the days when Spain were dominating World and European football.

I assume Pedri and Busquets.

They have a lot of good young players mostly Spanish - Fati, Mingueza, Puig, Moriba, Collado and Firpo.

So there probably will be more in a year or two. Spain aren't what they were but no team could stay at that level, it was a golden generation of players.

53 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I assume Pedri and Busquets.

They have a lot of good young players mostly Spanish - Fati, Mingueza, Puig, Moriba, Collado and Firpo.

So there probably will be more in a year or two. Spain aren't what they were but no team could stay at that level, it was a golden generation of players.

Alba not Pedri.  I agree it was a golden generation but having gone from there to no players in the starting XI is incredible.

As an aside, I watch Barca every week and am not yet on board with Pedri.  The commentators keep talking him up but I don’t thing he justifies the adulation; at least not yet, let’s see what next season brings.

I feel a bit sorry for Puig, a great talent who will never get to develop with cameo appearances.

Mingueza is probably the find of the season.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Alba not Pedri.  I agree it was a golden generation but having gone from there to no players in the starting XI is incredible.

As an aside, I watch Barca every week and am not yet on board with Pedri.  The commentators keep talking him up but I don’t thing he justifies the adulation; at least not yet, let’s see what next season brings.

I feel a bit sorry for Puig, a great talent who will never get to develop with cameo appearances.

Mingueza is probably the find of the season.

I think Pedri is going to be one of the best players in the world and they've finally found the replacement for Iniesta. Absolute steal for what they paid for him.

Puig is a tremendously talented player its a shame Koeman doesn't trust him. He is the sort of player Barcelona should be built around, but maybe a loan move would help. I think Koeman thinks needs to develop physically, but if Xavi comes in Puig would be heavily involved.

Mingueza is class and they are talking about Collado being the next one. Fati is brilliant too but injury problems just now. Also Araujo emerging as a quality player this season. When fully fit again he'll be rock solid.

They probably will bring in Garcia in the summer too, and with Konrad and Moriba who looks brilliant all of a sudden they have a ton of great young players.

26 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I think Pedri is going to be one of the best players in the world and they've finally found the replacement for Iniesta. Absolute steal for what they paid for him.

Puig is a tremendously talented player its a shame Koeman doesn't trust him. He is the sort of player Barcelona should be built around, but maybe a loan move would help. I think Koeman thinks needs to develop physically, but if Xavi comes in Puig would be heavily involved.

Mingueza is class and they are talking about Collado being the next one. Fati is brilliant too but injury problems just now. Also Araujo emerging as a quality player this season. When fully fit again he'll be rock solid.

They probably will bring in Garcia in the summer too, and with Konrad and Moriba who looks brilliant all of a sudden they have a ton of great young players.

Barca wanted Puig to go out on loan but he said no.  Agree about Araujo.

The problem is that they’re carrying to much dead weight.  It hasn’t worked for Greizzman, Braithwaite is not good enough, Dembele is a good player but too hot and cold and Pjanic was a strange buy; the would have been better keeping Rakatic.

Fati’s return will be key and hopefully Dest is beginning to show what he’s capable of, I was surprised when they ditched Semedo, a great player imo.

The thing is, how does any team replace Messi?

ETA it will be interesting if Pedri turns out to be the player you think he can become.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Barca wanted Puig to go out on loan but he said no.  Agree about Araujo.

The problem is that they’re carrying to much dead weight.  It hasn’t worked for Greizzman, Braithwaite is not good enough, Dembele is a good player but too hot and cold and Pjanic was a strange buy; the would have been better keeping Rakatic.

Fati’s return will be key and hopefully Dest is beginning to show what he’s capable of, I was surprised when they ditched Semedo, a great player imo.

The thing is, how does any team replace Messi?

ETA it will be interesting if Pedri turns out to be the player you think he can become.

Far too much dead weight but they are stuck with the likes of Griezmann. Nobody is going to buy him and pay his salary, and he has another three years on his contract.

Braithwaite is pish but cheap and a handy enough option for another year maybe. Dembele starting to come good, but to keep him they'll have to extend his contract which will mean he'll have to accept a reduction in salary. And as people like Fati come back he will play a bit less.

Pjanic was a terrible signing and should probably have kept Semedo but they were about money. They had to raise ten million at the end of last season to meet FFP regulations and Juve offered Pjanic plus ten or fifteen for Arthur. Would rather have seen Arthur stay as he's young and the type they should be rebuilding around.

Semedo again they needed the money so what can you do.

I think you'll see Aguero, Eric Garcia, maybe Wijnaldum (though Moriba maybe makes him unnecessary now) and possible one or two others Alaba and Depay on a free come in this summer. Tiny possibility they manage to do a deal for Haaland too as Laporta is very close with his agent.

Neto will be sold, Coutinho sold or loaned out, probably Umtiti too. Shame about Umtiti, tremendous player, but he can't stay fit and Garcia is the ideal replacement.

Probably sell Toubido and Wague too for cheap and maybe Alena. Emerson may come back from Betis as the back-up to Dest, allowing them to use Roberto in midfield more.

A lot of work to do but I think Barca could be looking very strong next season. Still with some deadwood (they would love to sell Pjanic I'm sure but how can you do that when he only signed a year ago) and big financial problems. But I think they'll have a tremendously strong squad next season.

No team can replace Messi, it just is what it is. Had to come some time, but I think he'll stay there for two more years.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

How the f**k are Barca gonna afford Haaland.

They would pay it in installments, as transfers like that are usually done.

As I said Laporta is very friendly with his agent and they hope that will swing it.

Their debt will be restructured, its a problem but not that big a problem. 

I can't see them getting a deal done for Haaland but its not impossible. They also could offer a couple of players in part-exchange.

On 28/03/2021 at 17:12, HalfCutNinja said:

Far too much dead weight but they are stuck with the likes of Griezmann. Nobody is going to buy him and pay his salary, and he has another three years on his contract.

Braithwaite is pish but cheap and a handy enough option for another year maybe. Dembele starting to come good, but to keep him they'll have to extend his contract which will mean he'll have to accept a reduction in salary. And as people like Fati come back he will play a bit less.

Pjanic was a terrible signing and should probably have kept Semedo but they were about money. They had to raise ten million at the end of last season to meet FFP regulations and Juve offered Pjanic plus ten or fifteen for Arthur. Would rather have seen Arthur stay as he's young and the type they should be rebuilding around.

Semedo again they needed the money so what can you do.

I think you'll see Aguero, Eric Garcia, maybe Wijnaldum (though Moriba maybe makes him unnecessary now) and possible one or two others Alaba and Depay on a free come in this summer. Tiny possibility they manage to do a deal for Haaland too as Laporta is very close with his agent.

Neto will be sold, Coutinho sold or loaned out, probably Umtiti too. Shame about Umtiti, tremendous player, but he can't stay fit and Garcia is the ideal replacement.

Probably sell Toubido and Wague too for cheap and maybe Alena. Emerson may come back from Betis as the back-up to Dest, allowing them to use Roberto in midfield more.

A lot of work to do but I think Barca could be looking very strong next season. Still with some deadwood (they would love to sell Pjanic I'm sure but how can you do that when he only signed a year ago) and big financial problems. But I think they'll have a tremendously strong squad next season.

No team can replace Messi, it just is what it is. Had to come some time, but I think he'll stay there for two more years.

Christ I’d forgotten about Coutinho!  Never though his career would fizzle out like it has.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Christ I’d forgotten about Coutinho!  Never though his career would fizzle out like it has.

Apparently if he plays five more games they have to pay Liverpool an extra five million or something like that. So even when fit he doesn't play now.

They will be delighted to sell him for cheap in the summer or even loan him out again. Disastrous signing. Very good player for somebody though.

Valencia players walked of the pitch in today's match against Cadiz after Juan Cala allegedly said something racist to Mouctar Diakhaby.

Marca story

The LaLiga Santander match between Cadiz and Valencia was halted in the first half after a clash between Juan Cala and Mouctar Diakhaby.

Diakhaby chased after the Cadiz player after allegedly hearing a racist insult, although it's not yet clear exactly what comments were exchanged.

After a lengthy discussion between players and the referee and after Diakhaby was even shown a yellow card, the Valencia players decided to walk off the pitch in response.

A few minutes later, though, the players returned and, after five minutes of warm-up, the match was restarted from the 29th minute, with Cadiz taking a throw-in and passing the ball to Valencia's defence.

Diakhaby did not come out for the restart, with Hugo Guillamon coming on instead. Cala - who had scored Cadiz's goal for the 1-1 score that marked the scoreboard at the time of the incident - did continue.

Valencia posted two tweets, stating that their player received a racist insult and that he had urged his teammates to go back out and play.