La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

Anyone seen this? Mental.

The 32-year-old midfielder, who is loan from Barcelona at Istanbul Başakşehir, allegedly attacked Turkish singer Berkay Sahin following a failed attempt to pick up Sahin’s wife, Ozlem Ada, on October 10. Sahin alleges that Turan walked up to his wife and said “you’re very pretty, if you weren’t married I wouldn’t let you get away.” When Sahin interjected, Turan allegedly started a scuffle, and the ensuing altercation left the singer with a broken nose.

As if that weren’t enough, Turan allegedly then went to the hospital where Sahin was recovering to apologize in the most Arda Turan fashion: by offering him a gun and telling the singer to shoot him in retaliation, reportedly saying, “Shoot me if you want.” Like you would expect a rational human being to do, Sahin turned down the surely-appealing offer from the soccer star, leading to Turan allegedly taking the gun back and firing it off at the floor in the hospital room.

Cracking game of football that. Massive improvement in Valencia since the start of the season, played really well and deserved a point. 

Strange that whilst Messi was poor by his standards, he still scored two goals. Dani Parejo shackled him well but Messi still took his only chance (half chance really) brilliantly. His strike that was disallowed for the penalty was great too.

Hopefully Atletico can win at Betis tomorrow and cut the gap to three points. I'm at Real-Alaves tomorrow, will hopefully be able to sit on my hands should Alaves score. 

Looks like Reus in Segunda league have been banned for 5 years from playing, for not paying players wages. All results from first half of season stand, but all second half season results will be classed as wins to the opposition. Malaga must be kicking themselves, as they were one of the last clubs to play near bottom place Reus before they went t#ts up before Christmas. Malaga, who are challenging for the league, were beaten 3-0 at home by them.

Atletico were awful today, betis deserved their win. Didn't really work with Morata up front and Griezmann just off but it might develop. Howe we, awful call by the referee on morata penalty - ridiculous that it wasn't given.

Went to the Bernabau tonight. Comfortable in the end for Real, Alaves exactly the same as when I saw them earlier in the season. Neat and tidy with no cutting edge. Wasn't a fan of the stadium itself, looks amazing from the outside but not great inside. Kudos to the 300 or so Alaves fans who sang all night, provided the only atmosphere on the half full place.

IMG-20190203-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20190203-WA0005.jpg

Anyone got a link for el classico
It's on the STV Player - being shown on Eleven Sports 2 tonight and available via their agreement. On that note, who are the chumps doing the commentary tonight? I think the summariser is Duncan Alexander (who I tjink works for Opta but I recognise his voice from the Totally Football Show?) but have no clue who the main guy is. Not sure what is annoying me most, their poor mic work (too much talking about nothing, calling names wrong, getting things muddled up) or the fact they've said "Football Club Barcelona" at least 3 times in the first half. And Suateth a few times too, although I guess that's probably fair enough.

14 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

who are the chumps doing the commentary tonight? 

No idea. I think someone said on the Eleven Sports thread that they had dumped/lost their better/more expensive commentators as part of their imminent death in the UK.

It's not just the pronunciation that's annoying from the main man, but his tone of voice and emphasis at a potential big situation. A bit like Peter Drury did when he was ITV's main man, this guy seems like he's constantly looking for his "Agueroooo" or "They Think It's All Over" moment (sorry)

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

they've said "Football Club Barcelona" at least 3 times in the first half

That's a weird thing I've noticed in their commentary and on Bet365 (which may be the same stream). Can't think of many other teams where the commentator reads out the entire name repeatedly.

Cracking cup tie tonight with betis drawing 2-2 with valencia. Late valencia goal knackered my coupon but have to say I’m absolutely loving spanish football this season, and for all their faults, being able to watch almost every game on eleven sports has been fairly handy

Well that was disappointing. Thought it was pretty even first half, with Atletico on top slightly but they really struggled to handle Vinicius Jr, who was excellent. Real were very clever second half, kept the game bitty and scored a nice third on the break to kill the game after Thomas Partey gave the ball away for the 3417th time.  That was any slim hopes of the title gone.

Have to say that was a proper derby - tackles flying everywhere, end to end and a fantastic atmosphere. Strange that Real couldn't sell their section out, could have only been about 400 of them at most with plenty empty seats in the away end. 

IMAG0731.jpg

VAR twice played a part in the Madrid derby. According to Richard Keys and Andy Gray it took 5 minutes to consult if Real Madrid’s Penalty was or not and if did take 5 minutes then thats a shambles. And Morata’s offside was abit like Chelsea/Spurs scenario a few weeks back where you can’t be 100% with the camera angle that’s being used. 

13 hours ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

VAR twice played a part in the Madrid derby. According to Richard Keys and Andy Gray it took 5 minutes to consult if Real Madrid’s Penalty was or not and if did take 5 minutes then thats a shambles. And Morata’s offside was abit like Chelsea/Spurs scenario a few weeks back where you can’t be 100% with the camera angle that’s being used. 

I was at levante-real Valladolid a few weeks back.after RV thought theyd equalised and everyone was preparing for kicking off again the ref was standing there with his hand to his lug for ages,at least 3 or 4 minutes.finally he ran to the side,consulted the telly and the goal was,imo rightfully, disallowed. took forever

14 hours ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Yeah, I don't know about five minutes but did seem a long time in the stadium. All the VAR decisions did and the time added on certainly didn't reflect it. Shame it had such an impact on the game - I guess the thing is you still have human error - pictures show Morata was onside and the Gimenez tackle, as awful as it was, was outside the box. No idea about the penalty shout for Morata, haven't seen that yet.

The other thing with VAR is that I don't like its use in incidents that are deemed vital. As a reactive, non play-by-play sport, every decision is important to the outcome of the match - there were numerous dubious calls that could have changed the course of the game yesterday yet were never referred as deemed as trivial. As a fan at the game, I don't really enjoy it either.

Edited by JMDP

21 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

What a performance that was by Valladolid's keeper Masip against Barca tonight! Only beaten by a penalty, and saved another one, as well as about a dozen other big chances

Valladolid very unfortunate not to get a point but a great weekend for Barca.