La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

His team won three Champions Leagues in a row. I don't think you can doubt his managerial credentials in the slightest. 
I didn't. I said he managed Real well. Managing and coaching are two different things - it's well accepted that Real Madrid don't need/want good coaches (Benitez was criticised for trying to get the players to practice free kicks and defensive shapes) but prefer hands off managers like Ancelotti and Zidane who keep things ticking over without doing too much on the training ground and are more about keeping egos massaged and making sure everyone in the large squad feels important. It's a totally different job to taking a bunch of players who aren't very good at football and making sure they don't get hammered three times by seasoned international teams.

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
His team won three Champions Leagues in a row. I don't think you can doubt his managerial credentials in the slightest. 

I didn't. I said he managed Real well. Managing and coaching are two different things - it's well accepted that Real Madrid don't need/want good coaches (Benitez was criticised for trying to get the players to practice free kicks and defensive shapes) but prefer hands off managers like Ancelotti and Zidane who keep things ticking over without doing too much on the training ground and are more about keeping egos massaged and making sure everyone in the large squad feels important. It's a totally different job to taking a bunch of players who aren't very good at football and making sure they don't get hammered three times by seasoned international teams.

He regularly drops the big name players and wasn't afraid to move Ronaldo away from the central striking role. I think your downplaying his importance a fair bit

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Generally accepted by who.  Load of fucking shite.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
He regularly drops the big name players and wasn't afraid to move Ronaldo away from the central striking role. I think your downplaying his importance a fair bit

Again, that's management and not coaching.

How do you know he doesn't coach you absolute weapon.  Ancelotti certainly does.  Fucking mourinho is their joint longest serving manager in ages.  You're talking out of your arse.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Again, that's management and not coaching.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/12082445/Zinedine-Zidane-takes-first-training-session-at-Real-Madrid-and-is-handed-a-bib-by-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html

Suppose he was just managing there eh ya pillock.  He's been a coach at real Madrid for about ten years FFS.

Generally accepted by who.  Load of fucking shite.
How do you know he doesn't coach you absolute weapon.  Ancelotti certainly does.  Fucking mourinho is their joint longest serving manager in ages.  You're talking out of your arse.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/12082445/Zinedine-Zidane-takes-first-training-session-at-Real-Madrid-and-is-handed-a-bib-by-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html

Suppose he was just managing there eh ya pillock.  He's been a coach at real Madrid for about ten years FFS.
I know it's easier just to ignore you but to answer your specific points - most Spanish journalists and commentators have stated on several occasions that Real Madrid like to have a steadying influence as manager rather than a full-on coach who takes away their natural tendency to do their own thing. Examples like this or the interview Zidane himself gave prior to the Champions League where he admitted he wasn't the best coach but that he believed in the group of players are out there.

Ancelotti is well known for his laid back approach. This is from Sports Illustrated:

"After replacing Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich in 2016, the German side struggled to acclimatise to the former Chelsea manager's hands off approach. The fall in intensity from Pep to Ancelotti was a steep one, and by the end of his reign the players were completely disenchanted. They even started organising their own secret training sessions to combat the lackadaisical ones they were receiving."

While this is from the man himself in an interview with the Financial Times"

"“I have a lot of power,” grins Carlo Ancelotti, manager of Real Madrid. “Here I can decide: training at six in the morning! Training 11 in the night! But my style is not to impose. I would like to convince the players of what they are doing. This takes more time.”...
Before the final, Ancelotti did something unusual: after naming the starting 11, he asked them to decide the match strategy themselves. He recalls: “Everyone said one thing. For example, [goalkeeper Petr] Cech said, ‘You have to control the space behind, to avoid the counter-attack.’ That season we played 60 games, and 60 times I made the strategy. So I think the players understood very well what they had to do.”

It's this sytle which is why it'll be so interesting to see him at Napoli where he's taking over from a guy who is almost prescriptive in his approach to things like set pieces, shape and counter attacking moves - again, this is generally accepted by most Italian writers and commentators. In your usual style though you've leapt straight from "hands off" to "he doesn't coach". It's almost as if I didn't actually say that...

Zidane started off as an assistant to the abovementioned Ancelotti 5 years ago (not about 10 years - maybe numbers aren't your thing which is unusual for such a well respected caddy...) before being given the B team job (where Real Madrid B were in the regionalised Secunda Division B and failed to get promoted to the National Secunda Division by the way) and then taking over from Rafa Benitez who was unpopular with the players for being too hands-on - including famously asking Ronaldo to do a biometric study to improve his free kicks.

Even after all that, the fact remains - it is one thing guiding some of the best players in the world to trophies, it is quite another taking a bunch of pretty hopeless players who have limited talent and very little experience of top level football and turn then into a credible team that can avoid disappointment in the World Cup. If you genuinely can't see the difference between coaching or managing the likes of Luka Modric, Christiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos to improving dramatically the likes of Sebastian Soria, Ibrahim Majid and Mohammed Mousa, maybe it's better if you head back to the caddying.

• 1 month later...
On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:40, G_Man1985 said:

Today the home changing room at Nuevo Colombino Stadium is going to be used by @LybsterFC squad.

Honour to our origins. To the Scottish origins of Spain's first & oldest club dedicated to football association.

Never heard of the Scottish team. Should of I?

no:lol:

fun fact-lybster has a ridiculously wide main street,the north Koreans could stage military parades there although id doubt theyd want to go there

Edited by highlandcowden

18 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Would like to know this too

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:23, Granny Danger said:

Is it possible to subscribe to this outfit who are braodcasting La Liga?  Can't find anything online.

I posted this in the Italian thread last week and doesn't appear to be anything more yet:

Their Twitter page posts some vague details every now and then. As it stands you can stream it on their website or through an Apple/Android app (they claim to be in talks to get it on TV too). Prices supposedly announced next week.

44 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

I posted this in the Italian thread last week and doesn't appear to be anything more yet:

Their Twitter page posts some vague details every now and then. As it stands you can stream it on their website or through an Apple/Android app (they claim to be in talks to get it on TV too). Prices supposedly announced next week.

It’s incredible that they have paid big bucks for the rights and are so bad at selling the end result!

Pretty shocking state of affairs, La Liga & Serie A are my 2 fav leagues for watching but have disappeared to this mickey mouse mob. It does make you question how Sky & BT can justify their prices when they 've lost so much of their portfolio.

It's at the point in the UK where the mug punter would require about 5 different subscriptions to watch just football alone. What can I say, they're basically pushing people down the pirate route or the alternative of a good VPN and a subscription with the likes of Bein or Movistar using a prepaid foreign Visa account.

Rip Off Britain, once again..............