Brown Retired

harry94

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It doesn't make much sense to give the armband to Fletcher now when he's probably not going to be guaranteed a game, and he's not going to be around much longer.  Hanley would be my choice - he's going to be a mainstay of the team for the next while anyway, and I think it would probably be a big boost for him ahead of this campaign.

This. He'll be here for another 8-10 years for certain, we've said for a while now he's a future Scottish captain so why piss about, just give him the armband now.

It maybe is better in the long term but the "good riddance" and "turning his back" posts are a bit harsh. He deserves a bit of gratitude for always turning out when injuries allowed him (sometimes regardless of injuries), always put plenty of effort into a performance as well regardless of how well he was playing.

Been rumours for years that he has hip and knee issues that would mean he was unable to play into his 30's. Perhaps something to the rumours, but it's fair to say that for both club and country he is useless when he isn't 100% fit.

You're right, but timing wise, I more meant almost a full year after we went out of the qualifiers, and weeks before we start a new campaign.

Seems a strange way to do it, although of course perhaps he told Strachan last year and Strachan asked him to sit on it until the new season to see how he felt.

Has to be Darren Fletcher for me. He played every minute in the Premier League last season and was very good in their midfield, I'd say he's the best we have in that position. Bare in mind he didn't play for about 4 years because of his condition, which he has now fully recovered from, and so should be able to extend his career longer than most and should be a guaranteed starter for the next two years at least. He's got Champions League experience and has won every trophy in England, that's the kind of player we should have as captain, even just for the next campaign.

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Is McLean really up to it?

Haven't seen him play for Aberdeen much but I don't think so. He's most effective playing off the striker but we he'd be well down the pecking order for Scotland in that position.

McGinn could possibly fill in Brown's shoes as the tenacious in your face ball winning midfielder in the long run.

Fletcher started and captained West Brom for the full 90 in their win over Palace last weekend. It's a no brainer to give someone back the armband who stands head and shoulders above everyone as captain material. There's no time and point trying out someone new on the eve of a new campaign IMO, just go back to the trusted for the time being. Hanley can perhaps be appointed vice captain and learn a bit more from Fletcher this campaign then look to become permanent captain from the next campaign onwards.

Well that's just complete and utter garbage. He was poor last season whilst carrying in an injury, but for the year or two before that he was our best player. Brilliant performances against Belgium, Croatia x2, Ireland home, Poland away friendly.

Right so 6 half decent performances means he's not been utter shite the rest of the time? Only one of those games really mattered and that was Ireland.

5 minutes ago, KingQuerrey said:

It means he's clearly not been "utter shite for years" given he was our best player for a portion of the time quoted, yes. :1eye

So the best player for a year or two, out of the 10 or 11 years he's played then? :1eye

It means he's clearly not been "utter shite for years" given he was our best player for a portion of the time quoted, yes. :1eye

If you think his performances at that level of football have been good enough then you're sadly deluded. He, and most of his teammates have been rancid for about 8 years.

4 minutes ago, KingQuerrey said:

Do you expect a player to be our best player for the entirety of his international career before he's due a bit of praise or something? What a bizarre comment. He's had a perfectly good international career, and really shone in the first year or two of Strachan's management until injuries caught up with him.

People have the knives our for Brown because they don't like the way he plays, and because he plays for Celtic. Quite tragic that folk can't look at our team and players objectively.

Nothing to do with the way he plays or who he plays for. He's been shite for the majority of his Scotland career. In fact I would counter your point by saying the only reason he was continually capped was because of who he played for. If he was still at Hibs for example, he wouldn't have had a look in.

Archived