Elgin City vs Arbroath

22 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Surely your argument for the Berwick game is more of an argument that we did sit back than we didn't?! As you say, against Berwick we tried to protect what we had - how did we try to protect this? We tried to protect it by sitting deeper.

Against Montrose, as you've said we didn't open up and chase a winner (understandably in my opinion) but we also sat on our own 18 yard box from 25 minutes to go hoping to see the game out and everyone could see it was a matter of time before Montrose got the equaliser once we started playing 9 men within 30 yards of our own goal and left poor Stevie D chasing all round the rest of the park.

Last night we scored and immediately decided to take off a striker and bring on a defender to go 5-4-1 and yet again leave Doris chasing everything remotely near the opposition half. If that's not sitting back I don't know what is!!

I think against Berwick it is understandable we sat back slightly considering we were leading, but ultimately it didn't work and if we had kept up the same tempo and attacking it may have been different. Against Montrose we sat back with 10 men, leading away from home and with 10 men again this is understandable, but not to the extent we sat in, our defence and midfield were outrageously deep. Last night, for a third game in a row we dropped deeper and tried to protect what we had, and for the third game in a row it didn't work. Ultimately our attempts to sit and protect what we've got have failed in the past 3 games. Surely based on that the next time we shouldn't make the same mistake of just sitting on our lead and inviting the opposition into the game more?

I think its very early days with almost a complete new team. I saw the league cup games as friendlies with lots of changes so we are still in the early process of moulding a team together. So far in TWO league games we played fairly well in one game and poorly in another (albeit with 10 men for a large part)

After the 1st quarter, if are showing continuous vulnerability when trying to hold a lead then I would say there would be a tactical or mentality issue. A lot of these players are new to the management team also so time needs to be given to allow everything to gel.

It's also slightly naïve to think that we are going to dominate or be on the front foot for 90 minutes in every game, Berwick were decent and were always going to have a spell in the game, Montrose I thought were poor all round and last night there was pretty much nothing between the teams. If we have a dip during a game we need to learn to dig in and get through it without losing goals which we haven't done so far.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also don't think we've had our best team on the park at the same time on too many occasions

Would just like to see us suspension and injury free putting a run of league games together with everybody available

A lot of potential shows at times it just needs to all come together

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I think its very early days with almost a complete new team. I saw the league cup games as friendlies with lots of changes so we are still in the early process of moulding a team together. So far in TWO league games we played fairly well in one game and poorly in another (albeit with 10 men for a large part)

After the 1st quarter, if are showing continuous vulnerability when trying to hold a lead then I would say there would be a tactical or mentality issue. A lot of these players are new to the management team also so time needs to be given to allow everything to gel.

It's also slightly naïve to think that we are going to dominate or be on the front foot for 90 minutes in every game, Berwick were decent and were always going to have a spell in the game, Montrose I thought were poor all round and last night there was pretty much nothing between the teams. If we have a dip during a game we need to learn to dig in and get through it without losing goals which we haven't done so far.

I 100% agree regarding it being very early days and needing to wait until after the first quarter to properly look at how things have been going. I'm still confident we'll be up in the play off places and hoping challenging as individually we have some excellent players in the team. I also think we have good strength in depth, as shown by last night where what would be considered fringe players came in and played very, very well.

I think the Montrose game was extremely poor in terms of football played, but I think it was very difficult for the players with the wind making it very difficult, and then being down to 10 men obviously putting us at a disadvantage. If we'd had 11 men on the park for the 90 minutes I'm certain we would have won the game.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A lot of potential shows at times it just needs to all come together

I've no major issues with any of the playing squad we have and think there is a huge amount of potential within them, on paper this current group of players have just as much talent and footballing ability as the title winning team of 5 years ago. Dick has done well to bring in the players he has, although he obviously has a rather large budget to do so.

C'mon Elgin supporters you're top of the league a wee bit off input please.

Really tricky game this for us this but hoping for a win to kick start our promotion push.but would take a point.

7 minutes ago, afca32 said:

We've won 5 in a row v Arbroath now, I think we've a decent chance of making it 6.

Hopefully the law of averages kicks in and Arbroath get a win a last then,yeah we've not exactly put the fear of god into Elgin lately.

You get a greenie just for being here afca:)

Quite liked Ricky at RB on Wednesday and don't think Phillips can possibly be left out. 

Callaghan to start and think he has a massive decision with the front two, does he stick with Doris and Prunty or bring in one or both of skelly / Hester 

2 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Be great to get a win tomorrow but would be happy with a draw against Elgin. If we can prevent Gunn &/or Sutherland scoring then maybe have a chance.

Probably best to stop McLeish and MacLeod from scoring too. One thing standing out already about our squad this season is we're not overly reliant on Gunny for goals.

With our home record, it's hard not to be confident that we'll do well against anyone at home and I've been pretty impressed by what I've seen from us already this season. Shane has returned a different player, he's always had ability but he's added much more effort and work into his game and it's paying off already, I'd take Shane on current form over Dylan Easton every day of the week. Easton has the odd flash of brilliance but I think we're actually a better and more balanced team without him, we're playing a much more flowing game without him breaking up and slowing down play with his over the top shite and giving the ball away every 5 minutes.

Elsewhere, I like Keiran Stewart a lot, I think he's been decent in both positions I've seen him and Cameron MacKay gives us a much improved option in goal, he's seemed composed and reliable so far and has much better kicking that Blackie. Overall I think we've got a better team than last season and having less reliance on loan players is a bonus.

3-1 Elgin

Be great to get a win tomorrow but would be happy with a draw against Elgin. If we can prevent Gunn &/or Sutherland scoring then maybe have a chance.

Gomes (if fully fit)

Whatley Little Sukar Hamilton

Linn Scott Gold Phillips

Doris Hester

Why do so many lichties want to see Gomes in for Mutch. The young keeper has done well for us so far. Just the odd mistake here and there but all keepers are prone to them and they usually result in a goal against. We should be showing our support for a talented young keeper who could turn out to be a future top league keeper imo. # just saying

Why do so many lichties want to see Gomes in for Mutch. The young keeper has done well for us so far. Just the odd mistake here and there but all keepers are prone to them and they usually result in a goal against. We should be showing our support for a talented young keeper who could turn out to be a future top league keeper imo. # just saying

I don't think he's done well though, United game aside, still supporting him when he's playing though but just think Gomes is due a shot

Line up is not what I expected. No Jimmy again gutted. Wonder what's up with him?

Eta: went off half time on Wednesday

Archived