Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

I had a game as Hearts on the go and had taken the title race right down to the wire.

I managed to hump Celtic 3-1 in the penultimate match to reduce their 5 point lead to 2 points. On the final day I needed to beat Dundee while needing Celtic to lose to Aberdeen.

Aberdeen raced into a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes and my Hearts side were 1-0 up against Dundee. Then we scored a second goal and with half an hour left it looked like the title was coming to Tynecastle.

Aberdeen 3 Celtic 1... ok nothing to worry about.

Aberdeen 3 Celtic 2....surely fucking not?!?

Aberdeen 3 Celtic 3....oh s***!

Aberdeen 3 Celtic 4....COMPUTER THROUGH WINDOW.

Absolutely sickening.

Quitongo seems to take a while to get going in my saves, although I've never managed him early on. Usually turns into a decent lower EPL/high end Championship RW though.

I've not played this ages btw, girlfriend broke my laptop and I've not got enough money to buy a decent one, any recommendations for a cheap laptop would be appreciated

Cheaper just getting a new girlfriend IMO

Still playing my Galway game, won the league on GD last season which was great but the same thing that always happens after winning the league happened, I won the league by about 20 points. It always seems to become too easy after you win the league once.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what occurs when you fail the Barclays Premier League FFP player wage rise regulations? I projected to fail it and I am outside the transfer window so I can't really sale anyone and reduce the wage structure. 

Anyone know what occurs when you fail the Barclays Premier League FFP player wage rise regulations? I projected to fail it and I am outside the transfer window so I can't really sale anyone and reduce the wage structure. 

You get a massive fine.

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

How can you even manage to fail FFP in the premier league? You get like 1.5 million every time you have a game on the tv.

I was appointed manager of Stoke at the end of the summer window and was told by the board that the club was about £15 million over the FFP Player Wage Limit. Tried to knock it down as much as I could by selling and loaning out as many players on high wages. This thing has never happened to me in previous saved games. 

On 9/26/2017 at 17:02, Richie95 said:

I've only ever failed any sort of FPP in one of the older games, I think it was FM2015.  Anyways I was managing AC Milan and my board kept telling me that I was good for UEFA FPP and I managed to nick 3rd and a Champions League spot (having taken over after a season where they finished out of Europe), unfortunately my board was full of shite and I somehow failed FPP and was banned from the Champions League

• 3 weeks later...

Got to 2024 in my Partick Thistle save and Malky Mackay has just won the Euros for Scotland, with Scotland and Wales hosting, whilst leaving out a host of my players who should gave cantered into the side. Ready to throw my laptop away.

• 1 month later...

Having a lot of fun with my current Thistle save - won't go into all the details but I'm pretty much stockpiling money for a new stadium. Not *quite* at the point where the board will go for it yet but I think I'll be done with the save and move on to FM 2018 (which I'm fairly confident Santa will be getting me for Christmas) once we move into a new ground.

Tempted to go for this guy my scouting network has identified purely for the name:

5a2d936a7e68f_MikeHunt_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.7204be4a0480889aa4103961fbb25c33.png

• 5 weeks later...

** Please note this is a bump to the FM 2017 thread, not the FM 2018 thread; it'd be an easy mistake to post in one rather than the other!**

I've still not got FM 2018, due largely to having far too much fun on a long-term Thistle save game from this version.

Much of the success is down to getting wingers completely to f**k from my formation and squad; I simply cannot find a winger-based formation that works. Alternate between a 4DF-3MC-2AMC-1ST christmas tree (main formation), 4DF-3CM-1AMC-2ST and 4DF-4(1DM+2CM+1AMC)-2ST diamond. The christmas tree one is particularly great because it pretty much results every game in my midfield and forward playing nice purty passes about and dragging the other team all over the shop before someone finally gets played in for a crossing/shooting opportunity (*usually* either of my attacking full backs but not always).

Board occasionally still accept ball-crushingly low offers for my wonderkids which is generally the most frustrating bit on the game, including one South Korean central midfielder they sold to Monaco for about £5M including add ons over my head. Amusingly I remember actually being okay with it at the time since it still gave me enough to bring in some promising players I had my eye on, but I had a look to see what some of my old players were up to and said South Korean midfielder is now valued at £44.5M. Nice. :thumbsdown

Second most frustrating bit is that I cannot get the board to agree to build a new stadium despite being prudent enough with the wages and transfers to be sitting on £50M in cash reserves by April 2022, with CL, Europa and SPFL prize money still to come in May, which is what I'm viewing as the natural end for the save game before getting the latest version (will probably just play for one or two more seasons after getting a new stadium but then again perhaps not, might even keep plowing on until I play testimonials for some of my current favourites, might aim for 10IAR since I'm currently on my 3rd straight title win, not sure how long the save has before it gets stale yet; some of the football my current side plays is outstanding to watch which helps keep it exciting)

• 2 weeks later...

I started unemployed with a journeyman save and have had spells at Brechin City, Alloa (where I got promotion to the Premiership), Cardiff City, Nurnberg, Watford and am now manager of both Sevco and Australia.

I won the 2021/2022 Premiership title to end Celtic's hopes of 11 in a row. I am currently top of the league in January 2023 and am not going to renew my contract with Sevco.

I have an Old Firm Derby at Celtic Park and an Asian Cup game against Malaysia in China on the same day. :lol:

Edited by Richey Edwards

On 20 January 2018 at 15:27, Richey Edwards said:

I started unemployed with a journeyman save and have had spells at Brechin City, Alloa (where I got promotion to the Premiership), Cardiff City, Nurnberg, Watford and am now manager of both Sevco and Australia.

I won the 2021/2022 Premiership title to end Celtic's hopes of 11 in a row. I am currently top of the league in January 2023 and am not going to renew my contract with Sevco.

I have an Old Firm Derby at Celtic Park and an Asian Cup game against Malaysia in China on the same day. :lol:

Won the Asia Cup with Australia, chose to resign as Australia manager after that. Also quit Sevco after taking them to a second title in a row and am now at Fiorentina.