Jump to content
The_Judge

The East Kilbride FC Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Who is the benefactor spunking his money away on East Kilbride? I had a look at attendence figures and noticed EK’s average from last year is 169 so they aren’t exactly coining it in on a matchday.  Based on the signings so far and the fact Aitken is still gunning for more big names I reckon that’s a middle to top end League 1 budget he’s running with, which is fairly wild for a team pulling in 150 punters a week. 

Paul Kean, local businessman.

150 punters at presumably far less cost than the average  League One ticket price. Median L1 attendance last season about 750, say ticket prices are around half of that in L1  and most league One sides will be getting 10x the revenue of clubs like EK from match day tickets alone, before you even take prize money, sponsorship and cup revenues into account.

It's entirely up to folk what they do with their cash and I'm not saying for one minute if I suddenly become rich that East Fife wouldn't be making a few 'ambitious' signings after a bit of terracing gets thrown up at Bayview but there's no doubt some amount of cash getting ploughed into a few teams in the pyramid right now. Clubs like Kelty probably have a right good shot at establishing themselves in the SPFL if they can get there. Do EK or Darvel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gogsy said:

 I could be wrong on this (what is new you  may ask ) but I think its been stated a few times that Kelty's initial plan was working on a five year cycle which I think covered the 2020/1 season,  they would then re-evaluate after that. Also throw in the fact that when the manager signed there were reports he had committed to end of 2020/21 season as well.

It would seem sensible but there's no doubt last summer marked a significant change in strategy from Kelty. They've clearly decided to go out and build what on paper looks like a mid table League One side. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw that they were closer to winning the LL than they thought they might be and so decided to push the playing budget to get into the SPFL. Probably would have gotten away with it as well if it wasn't for that pesky coronaviris.

I think there's a massive incentive for teams to get out of the LL next season before it starts to get filled up with the bigger ex West Juniors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It would seem sensible but there's no doubt last summer marked a significant change in strategy from Kelty. They've clearly decided to go out and build what on paper looks like a mid table League One side. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw that they were closer to winning the LL than they thought they might be and so decided to push the playing budget to get into the SPFL. Probably would have gotten away with it as well if it wasn't for that pesky coronaviris.

I think there's a massive incentive for teams to get out of the LL next season before it starts to get filled up with the bigger ex West Juniors.

To be fair if there was a change in strategy it would have been a months earlier than last summer, some of those signings would have been planned for not that long after Barry Ferguson became manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gogsy said:

To be fair if there was a change in strategy it would have been a months earlier than last summer, some of those signings would have been planned for not that long after Barry Ferguson became manager.

Oh yeah, I just mean that's when it kicked in. I'd imagine they decided to do that at some point in the 2018/19 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I think there's a massive incentive for teams to get out of the LL next season before it starts to get filled up with the bigger ex West Juniors.

It'll take at least a decade for 5 or more ex-West clubs to make it into the LL, not only do they all need to be licenced but they would also need to beat the EoS champions and thats in no way a given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

It'll take at least a decade for 5 or more ex-West clubs to make it into the LL, not only do they all need to be licenced but they would also need to beat the EoS champions and thats in no way a given.

True, but with only one team getting a play-off spot, it only needs one or two strong teams in there to make it significantly harder to get out of the LL than it will be next season.

With the movement between the LL as it is now, it's perfectly possible that a club like EK could spunk huge amounts of cash on getting up, not achieve it, only to find themselves in a league with a handful more big ex-junior clubs and a few better resourced ex-SPFL teams in three or four years that would be a nightmare to get out of.

I'm still an optimist and hope that we'll see reconstruction with a few pyramid teams getting pulled up into the SPFL and automatic promotion can be put in place for both the HL and LL champions but the realist in me doesn't see it any time soon.

Edited by Gordon EF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Paul Kean, local businessman.

...

Also Jim Kean who played for Clyde, Ayr United and Hamilton Accies back in the 1980s. Arguably, the best time to really push the boat out financially is this season before Talbot and co start to arrive.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It'll certainly be interesting to see how they get on. With the money being spent, you'd have to think anything less than promotion will be a failure for both Kelty and EK and they can't both manage it. It'd be absolutely glorious to see someone like BSC win the LL next season.

Jealous much??? You do seem to be getting your knickers in twist about ek and kelty budgets. Even though its all guess work and you dont really know what these budgets are. East kilbride will be paying ok for this level. But its not where players will be coming for there big last pay cheque like some seem to think. All the guys at ek will have there main income coming from outside of football now. Also someone like bsc may win the league next year. They are a very good side as they showed last year. Glorious indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:


Jealous much??? You do seem to be getting your knickers in twist about ek and kelty budgets. Even though its all guess work and you dont really know what these budgets are. East kilbride will be paying ok for this level. But its not where players will be coming for there big last pay check like some seem to think. All the guys at ek will have there main income coming from outside of football now. Also someone like bsc may win the league next year. They are a very good side as they showed last year. Glorious indeed.

Why would I be jealous? Of the "OK" for tier 5 wages EK are paying? Do you think I'd want East Fife to swap positions with East Kilbride? We've went through a couple of periods of someone coming in and splashing cash. One was fun and we won a league. The other was a disaster and we got relegated.

I'm interested in the LL and pyramid football. East Kilbride are making some pretty big signings for this level so that's always going to be of interest. Why are you so defensive. Have I said anything derogatory about EK at all?

Edited by Gordon EF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why would I be jealous? Of the "OK" for tier 5 wages EK are paying? Do you think I'd want East Fife to swap positions with East Kilbride? We've went through a couple of periods of someone coming in and splashing cash. One was fun and we won a league. The other was a disaster and we got relegated.
I'm interested in the LL and pyramid football. East Kilbride are making some pretty big signings for this level so that's always going to be of interest. Why are you so defensive. Have I said anything derogatory about EK at all?

Have you said anything positive about ek?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:


Have you said anything positive about ek?

Should I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Should I?

You are happy to come on and pick holes in all the things you see as negative. Fling us a wee bone with some positives every now and again. And im always going to be slighty defensive when its the team i support. Human nature.

Could you also tell me why u think kelty would have a right good chance of establishing themselves if they made it to the spfl but you doubt ek would?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ek are a basket case of a club run by a odious pair playing in a terrible ground and want to move into a pie in the sky stadium in an even worse location where they'll be lucky to get 200 fans of curious locals and or old firm fans with nothing else to do. 

Like bsc who this season coming will be a shadow of the team they were last season they should have stuck to youth football and do what they did best instead of ever having got involved in mens football where they don't belong they have always made a mockery of non league football and a fool of themselves .

If they disappeared off the map tomorrow very few people would care or notice and any supporters they do have would just move onto an interest elsewhere without to much emotional distress. 

Thats the real life reality even if the anorak's on here think otherwise. 

Edited by ballermk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ballermk said:

Ek are a basket case of a club run by a odious pair playing in a terrible ground and want to move into a pie in the sky stadium in an even worse location where they'll be lucky to get 200 fans of curious locals and or old firm fans with nothing else to do. 

Like bsc who this season coming will be a shadow of the team they were last season they should have stuck to youth football and do what they did best instead of ever having got involved in mens football where they don't belong they have always made a mockery of non league football and a fool of themselves .

If they disappeared off the map tomorrow very few people would care or notice and any supporters they do have would just move onto an interest elsewhere without to much emotional distress. 

I'm trying to work out what's going on here... did you get dumped by someone from East Kilbride and never get over it? Curious. 

The idea that BSC and EK have made a mockery of non-league football and of themselves is bizarre, no matter what you think of either club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ballermk said:

Ek are a basket case of a club run by a odious pair playing in a terrible ground and want to move into a pie in the sky stadium in an even worse location where they'll be lucky to get 200 fans of curious locals and or old firm fans with nothing else to do. 

Like bsc who this season coming will be a shadow of the team they were last season they should have stuck to youth football and do what they did best instead of ever having got involved in mens football where they don't belong they have always made a mockery of non league football and a fool of themselves .

If they disappeared off the map tomorrow very few people would care or notice and any supporters they do have would just move onto an interest elsewhere without to much emotional distress. 

West Juniors was an odious cesspit of racism and all of the clubs moved to the senior leagues to get away from the rotten stench of Junior football. Clubs like EK managed to bypass the cesspit and mark themselves out as a progressive entity whilst ra Jooners were left behind to such an extent that the "grade" died in the West.

Tedious little fantasists like yourself can not accept the Juniors being dead. Your grief, anger and salty salty tears contained within every single one of your posts makes me very very happy that 63 clubs couldn't wait to run away from guys like you. You and your ilk killed the juniors and that makes me so so happy.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlansHotBath said:

I'm trying to work out what's going on here... did you get dumped by someone from East Kilbride and never get over it? Curious. 

The idea that BSC and EK have made a mockery of non-league football and of themselves is bizarre, no matter what you think of either club. 

He's a Junior troll who has had 20 plus accounts during lockdown, all attacking clubs that have improved themselves  whilst he pines for the dead "grade".  A strange little fantasist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try not to engage with the ballbag one chaps. He likes to spend his afternoons trolling. Leave him to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

You are happy to come on and pick holes in all the things you see as negative. Fling us a wee bone with some positives every now and again.emoji3.png And im always going to be slighty defensive when its the team i support. Human nature.

Could you also tell me why u think kelty would have a right good chance of establishing themselves if they made it to the spfl but you doubt ek would?

Well I'll give EK credit for getting on board with the LL/pyramid early, having ambition* and trying to represent a town that really is too big not to have had a senior team for so long.

* I don't equate ambition with cash like some lazy journalist. I don't think clubs like BSC or CSS are necessarily any less ambitious than Kelty or EK, they just don't necessarily have the same resource to help realise those ambitions.

I suppose I should clarify that comment about sustainability. I mean 'as things stand without any financial help from owners / sponsors'. As far as I can see, Kelty are getting crowds that wouldn't put them out of place in L2 at the moment so if they were able to get there and the extra finance dried up, you'd imagine they'd still have the resources to compete. On crowds of less than 200, it's fairly unlikely EK would. Of course, if EK build on that fanbase then there's no reason they couldn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well I'll give EK credit for getting on board with the LL/pyramid early, having ambition* and trying to represent a town that really is too big not to have had a senior team for so long.
* I don't equate ambition with cash like some lazy journalist. I don't think clubs like BSC or CSS are necessarily any less ambitious than Kelty or EK, they just don't necessarily have the same resource to help realise those ambitions.
I suppose I should clarify that comment about sustainability. I mean 'as things stand without any financial help from owners / sponsors'. As far as I can see, Kelty are getting crowds that wouldn't put them out of place in L2 at the moment so if they were able to get there and the extra finance dried up, you'd imagine they'd still have the resources to compete. On crowds of less than 200, it's fairly unlikely EK would. Of course, if EK build on that fanbase then there's no reason they couldn't

Last seasons crowd figures were poor. It was also our worst season on the park though which definitely affected numbers through the gates. (Glory hunting bassas that we are).
Over the years in the bigger games we would pull in 400-500 crowds. That number would increase if they moved up the leagues. I’ve no doubt of that.
Thank you for the positives though. I hope it didn’t pain you to much as you typed them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Also Jim Kean who played for Clyde, Ayr United and Hamilton Accies back in the 1980s. Arguably, the best time to really push the boat out financially is this season before Talbot and co start to arrive.

It will only take Talbot a year to get through the Lowland league allegedly. Theres nobody in the "co " that should worry the other teams too much.

Edited by gogsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...