The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

Well I'll give EK credit for getting on board with the LL/pyramid early, having ambition* and trying to represent a town that really is too big not to have had a senior team for so long.
* I don't equate ambition with cash like some lazy journalist. I don't think clubs like BSC or CSS are necessarily any less ambitious than Kelty or EK, they just don't necessarily have the same resource to help realise those ambitions.
I suppose I should clarify that comment about sustainability. I mean 'as things stand without any financial help from owners / sponsors'. As far as I can see, Kelty are getting crowds that wouldn't put them out of place in L2 at the moment so if they were able to get there and the extra finance dried up, you'd imagine they'd still have the resources to compete. On crowds of less than 200, it's fairly unlikely EK would. Of course, if EK build on that fanbase then there's no reason they couldn't

Last seasons crowd figures were poor. It was also our worst season on the park though which definitely affected numbers through the gates. (Glory hunting bassas that we are).
Over the years in the bigger games we would pull in 400-500 crowds. That number would increase if they moved up the leagues. I’ve no doubt of that.
Thank you for the positives though. I hope it didn’t pain you to much as you typed them.[emoji3]

1 hour ago, ballermk said:

Ek are a basket case of a club run by a odious pair playing in a terrible ground and want to move into a pie in the sky stadium in an even worse location where they'll be lucky to get 200 fans of curious locals and or old firm fans with nothing else to do. 

Like bsc who this season coming will be a shadow of the team they were last season they should have stuck to youth football and do what they did best instead of ever having got involved in mens football where they don't belong they have always made a mockery of non league football and a fool of themselves .

If they disappeared off the map tomorrow very few people would care or notice and any supporters they do have would just move onto an interest elsewhere without to much emotional distress. 

Thats the real life reality even if the anorak's on here think otherwise. 

Another new identity Traffordab? 😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Another new identity Traffordab? 😂😂😂

Hopefully this guy will find some junior games next season, then can remark how brilliant they are, go north young man.  Enjoy his  defence of the grade, be a shame to lose him. Any news on any ground developments at E.K ? thought it was a basic starting ground but needed updating asap. May  pop back next season to have a look.

17 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

But its not where players will be coming for there big last pay cheque like some seem to think.

Fucking deluded. Why can't teams who splash cash just admit it? Always need to try and dress it up as something else.

F’ing deluded could be someone ranting about how much money a club is spending when they dont really know themselves. I dont know what the clubs budget is, and nor do i really care. You also dont know but are willing to have a guess based on a few “big name” signings coming in. Erskine and paton have allready said it suited them to drop down to this level so they could earn there money in 9-5 jobs outside football. I dont think they are here for a mega pay day. I maybe wrong. As i say, none of us really know except those involved. I was just giving you my opinion.

If players are winding down their careers even the same money per week can stretch further in the Lowland compared to lower level SPFL. 30  league games compared to 36 in the regular season.

Only the LL Champion has to worry about playoffs and that's a good thing whereas 4/10 in every SPFL league faces extra games there. You still play in the Scottish Cup and possibly the Challenge Cup.

For an experienced player the Betfred Cup must just be a glorified pre-season tournament at this point. While the SCC, LL Cup, and Qualifying Cup for East Kilbride & Kelty are trophies you can win.

EK and Kelty are possibly offering contracts of a couple of years as well as their budgets are about as low as they ever plan to be.

Same pay for less work or same pay for the same work but the trade off of more potential success to look back on.

38 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

F’ing deluded could be someone ranting about how much money a club is spending when they dont really know themselves. I dont know what the clubs budget is, and nor do i really care. You also dont know but are willing to have a guess based on a few “big name” signings coming in. Erskine and paton have allready said it suited them to drop down to this level so they could earn there money in 9-5 jobs outside football. I dont think they are here for a mega pay day. I maybe wrong. As i say, none of us really know except those involved. I was just giving you my opinion.

Some of these guys could play at tier 2 for part time sides and still have a 9-5 job. But aye, Chris Erskine's playing for EK because it's always been a dream to play in the Lowland League.

You say I don't have a clue what you're offering, but I reckon I've got a fairly good idea, especially if a Mr Hutton is pictured shortly holding an EK scarf above his head.

Some of these guys could play at tier 2 for part time sides and still have a 9-5 job. But aye, Chris Erskine's playing for EK because it's always been a dream to play in the Lowland League.
You say I don't have a clue what you're offering, but I reckon I've got a fairly good idea, especially if a Mr Hutton is pictured shortly holding an EK scarf above his head.

Chris erskine is an east kilbride boy. And he is on record saying he never had alot of offers on the table after the whole covid situation and the draw of his hometown team was a deciding factor.

1 hour ago, johnmc80 said:

C'mon. I don't know exactly what Man City's budget is but I know it's a hell of a lot bigger than Bournemouth's is, for example.

Where are all the SPFL players lining up to play for Vale of Leithen, Civil Service Strollers, etc because the LL "suits them" and they've always wanted to win a South Challenge Cup?

Edited by Gordon EF

29 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

Chris erskine is an east kilbride boy. And he is on record saying he never had alot of offers on the table after the whole covid situation and the draw of his hometown team was a deciding factor.

He's hardly going to be on record saying "East Kilbride were offering me silly money so thought I'd just coin it in for the last few years".

Just now, gogsy said:

Nobody has ever said that.:)

Your man did correct me to be fair and clarified that it was actually the draw of playing for his hometown team that made him sign for East Kilbride. 

And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

He clearly didn't say anything of the sort either.

Can you read?

1 hour ago, johnmc80 said:

It's kind of fun that the LL forum hans't really gone through the evolution of the SPFL forums on P&B over the past 15 years. When a team gets financial assistance that allows them to sign players well beyond their income this is the way it goes:

• Everyone points out that they are obviously getting cash from someone to sign these players and are outspending rivals. Some of this becomes a bit vitriolic as some see it as cheating. If the club has an e or s in their name, it will inevitably get changed to a currency symbol e.g. K£lty H€art$, Darv£l, €a$t Kilbrid£.
  • Fans of said club become ridiculously defensive and will throw out every reason under the sun why these players would sign for their club that doesn't involve money - always wanted to work with the manager, wants to win things, players are treated well here and players talk etc. Nobody believes any of it. Bonus points if you link to an interview with the player where he does the same thing as if it proves the point.
  • Defensive fans come up with reasons why the club is actually generating that kind of revenue naturally - extremely well run, directors work hard to drum up sponsorship from the local community. Worst example of this was Brechin City in the mid / late 2000s - the annual bingo night raises a lot of cash... actually. Or Kelty and their magic puggie in the social club.

Eventually most people accept reality and start to embrace it and call other fans peasants etc and joke about how much money they can spend, see Queen's Park fans lately. The quicker you get to this stage, the better.

Edited by Gordon EF

It's kind of fun that the LL forum hans't really gone through the evolution of the SPFL forums on P&B over the past 15 years. When a team gets financial assistance that allows them to sign players well beyond their income this is the way it goes:
  • Everyone points out that they are obviously getting cash from someone to sign these players and are outspending rivals. Some of this becomes a bit vitriolic as some see it as cheating. If the club has an e or s in their name, it will inevitably get changed to a currency symbol e.g. K£lty H€art$, Darv£l, €a$t Kilbrid£.
  • Fans of said club become ridiculously defensive and will throw out every reason under the sun why these players would sign for their club that doesn't involve money - always wanted to work with the manager, wants to win things, players are treated well here and players talk etc. Nobody believes any of it. Bonus points if you link to an interview with the player where he does the same thing as if it proves the point.
  • Defensive fans come up with reasons why the club is actually generating that kind of revenue naturally - extremely well run, directors work hard to drum up sponsorship from the local community. Worst example of this was Brechin City in the mid / late 2000s - the annual bingo night raises a lot of cash... actually. Or Kelty and their magic puggie in the social club.
Eventually most people accept reality and start to embrace it and call other fans peasants etc and joke about how much money they can spend, see Queen's Park fans lately. The quicker you get to this stage, the better.

Get off our thread you peasant!!!