The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

On 04/05/2017 at 09:30, The Mantis said:

Tbf, I don't think anybody was criticising your work...

Quite interested in going along on Sat as a neutral/WW fan. Just have to keep checking your twitter to see if there are still tickets as they can't be reserved. 

I'm heading as a neutral too. 20 tickets have been returned so u night get lucky if u get there early enough.

Jings...talk about doing things the hard way!!  An excellent early goal and a worldy second before a freak own goal.  We ended up playing against 9 men but too often nerves took over when a simple pass was required.

An excellent away support who passionately backed their team.  As I said in a previous post they are a very good side and as Highland league champions I wish them well.

Said it last season when we came down to the LL that the playoffs should be for teams going up and not include teams potentially coming down and stand by that.  Throughout the whole of the Scottish senior league the playoffs include teams from the higher division. Especially in the case of a team finishing last in Div 2 there should be no dogs chance. I hated the playoffs last season and going down the way we did last season was something that other clubs shouldn't have to go through.  

49 minutes ago, Dead said:

Said it last season when we came down to the LL that the playoffs should be for teams going up and not include teams potentially coming down and stand by that.  Throughout the whole of the Scottish senior league the playoffs include teams from the higher division. Especially in the case of a team finishing last in Div 2 there should be no dogs chance. I hated the playoffs last season and going down the way we did last season was something that other clubs shouldn't have to go through.  

So you think the team that finish bottom should go straight down?

10 hours ago, Dead said:

It's just progress by small steps though. These things are decided by negotiation between the two leagues and voted on by the members. The LL managed to get the one playoff place but they didn't have a very strong hand for bargaining at the time. Slightly different at the bottom of the LL, where the EOS and SOS champions play off for an automatic place. Again this was voted in at a LL meeting.

I would say change is coming, especially if Cowden go down and the LL has more bargaining power. However if Cowden stay up and Shire go back up next year (maybe even replacing City) then we would be back to square one. For that reason I've been backing EK to go up all season, and Shire to stay down, even though there's no real affection for EK (sorry johnmc80 and Judge, but not sorry ekbluenose/Lauchlan :lol::lol:).

I'm not sure EK going up encourages change in terms of automatic relegation. People will say there's no need to change, as the system allows capable teams to come up. I'd say there's more likely to be change if the likes of EK and East Stirlingshire fail in the play-off and nobody gets relegated.

In a fair world maybe.  That outcome would tell the league 2 teams that they are safe and unlikely to be relegated with the current system.  They'd be in no rush to change to a system that might make relegation more likely where as if it's clear that being relegated is a genuine danger they'll want to mitigate the risk by ensuring there's a decent chance of getting back up.

I'm not sure EK going up encourages change in terms of automatic relegation. People will say there's no need to change, as the system allows capable teams to come up. I'd say there's more likely to be change if the likes of EK and East Stirlingshire fail in the play-off and nobody gets relegated.

Interesting take. See exactly what you mean. The issue really is what would be the motivating factor for change regarding bottom team down automatically.

If the bottom team wins the playoff, the argument is that there shouldn't have been automatic relegation as the best team has remained in the league. If they lose the playoff the argument would be that what automatic relegation would have brought about has happened anyway.

The real driver will probably be finance- big clubs ( shire, cowden, Clyde etc) being in lowland and a poorly supported new spfl team being in the bottom spot . Argument could then be made to say it's worth an automatic relegation ( probably need this happening a few years in a row though).

Best solution? Same as the other leagues. Bottom goes down ( replaced by playoff winner). Second bottom into playoff v HL/LL playoff loser. Winner of that plays in spfl 2. You'd see a high turnover and a much truer reflection of where teams should be after five years or so.

SAT, 20 MAY 2017SCOTTISH LEAGUE TWO - PLAY-OFF FINAL - 2ND LEG

Cowdenbeath 1 - 1 East Kilbride

Mullen (3)                Gibbons (64)

AET: HT 1-0  FT 1-1

Cowdenbeath win 5-3 on penalties

Cowdenbeath manager Gary Locke: "I don't think it's really anything to celebrate. The chairman is a flamboyant character, and when I came to the club, he said, we're in the play-offs, just win them for us.

"Credit to the players, they've battled really hard over the two games. East Kilbride were fantastic, I certainly feel if they came up they'd be top-four or top-five team in this league.

"So it was a really difficult two games, it gets to be a bit of a lottery when it goes to penalties, but I'm delighted the club's kept their place in the league, because the consequences of going down would've been pretty tough, I'd have thought".

East Kilbride manager Martin Lauchlan: "It's devastating - we put so much into the game. We lost a goal early - the worst possible start we could've had.

"I think our fitness levels looked terrific. It's so difficult to get to this point, with so many play-off games, and to get here and lose it is tough.

"I think they showed in the game they're well capable of playing at this level, but we're bitterly disappointed".

Cowdenbeath   East Kilbride
  Possession  
46%                    54%
  Shots  
14   11
  On Target  
5   4
  Corners  
12   9
  Fouls  
13   9
Edited by The_Judge