The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

17 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

FWIW being based in Glasgow, assuming we're not going the other direction, I would love it if EK came up. The more games local to me, the better!

Would hardly describe the K Park in East Kilbride as being local to Glasgow.

On 22/04/2023 at 22:18, Brazilianlex said:

I think it’s because most of these rich man’s train set Clubs try to make some claim they are not rich. Just admit it and then be judged on the budget you have at your disposal.

I think it's all in your head son 🙄

On 24/04/2023 at 12:08, Big Fifer said:

They were heavily funded (which is fine!). The money they had was invested very, very wisely - on Championship and League 1 players. As you say, it's easy to get the great dressing room atmosphere when you're outspending the rest of the league and winning games. 

I just had a look at Dalbeattie Star's squad for this season, they have 13 players previously/currently on the books of a Premier, Championship or League 1 club.  This fantasy football lark might be tougher than it looks although maybe if they just pay them more they'll try harder 😇

28 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

I just had a look at Dalbeattie Star's squad for this season, they have 13 players previously/currently on the books of a Premier, Championship or League 1 club.  This fantasy football lark might be tougher than it looks although maybe if they just pay them more they'll try harder 😇

At the start of the season a majority came with the manager from St.Cuthberts, as up to 6 were tempted West by Threave.

In the winter shuffle around they picked up players from around the place including some u20's.

They may have been on 'the books' but did they get anywhere near a start.

Doesn't make them Championship or whatever league players I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

I assume you mean the players are on DS's books and were previously at clubs at that level?

Difference of course being, as I'm sure you know, I'm referring to players like Tam Reilly, Nathan Austin, Tam Scobbie, Michael Tidser, Grant Anderson, Dylan Easton, Darren Jamieson and Higginbotham who were all established L1/Championship players having played consistently at that level for a good duration rather than players who just happened to have been on the books of a Premiership club at one point in their career. At the time, all of those players would have easily played at L1 level but didn't because of Kelty's cash.

Other than that though, you make a great point. 

On 24/04/2023 at 12:47, Big Fifer said:

No, that would be absolutely great if we had a sustainable benefactor involved, I'd love it! But I wouldn't be pretending that the success that followed was because of a managers dressing room atmosphere or nice training facilities. I would admit - we are going up the leagues because we have someone throwing more money at our club. 

Again, I am sure the facilities and the atmosphere at Kelty were brilliant. But the reason they soared through the leagues wasn't because of that - it was because they had large financial backing. I have absolutely no problem with money getting teams up the leagues. It's fan's pretence that the money isn't the reason that makes people shake their head. 

Of course money helps no denying that ffs but still got to perform on the park so got to get the right manager, recruitment and squad together to begin with , money helps but doesn't guarantee anything I for one will tell you right now I'm so glad Barry Ferguson fucked off ti Alloa as we wouldn't have won league two with him in charge Thomson brought something totally different with him to the table with virtually same squad and again with Potter again virtually same squad but didn't get the results we had thought we would so aye money helps but nothing guaranteed 

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

As soon as Goodwillie signs for a club there is a huge media frenzy,  loads of negative media coverage and sponsors jumping ship. He is 100% guaranteed to bring a huge pile of shit to any club he signs for.

That’s what makes me think they wouldn’t dare sign him.

18 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

When you say confirmed, where from? 

Im far from being “in the loop.” But i usually hear about alot of things before they become public knowledge. This must be a piss take. The club wouldn’t go down that road. And i hope to f**k the new management team wouldnt be daft enough to even consider it. 
I can say right now, as a fact. If that is a road they were willing to go down, i wont be back.

Just now, johnmc80 said:

Im far from being “in the loop.” But i usually hear about alot of things before they become public knowledge. This must be a piss take. The club wouldn’t go down that road. And i hope to f**k the new management team wouldnt be daft enough to even consider it. 
I can say right now, as a fact. If that is a road they were willing to go down, i wont be back.

That’s what I thought John, you are usually spot on with stuff, it sounds like this is someone stirring up shit with a non story.