The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

6 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Like Cowdenbeath are???? 😂😂

We have represented our town for 142 years always playing there, some good some bad.

We also had crowds last season well above what Open Goal attracted as nomads in Alloa.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

We have represented our town for 142 years always playing there, some good some bad.

We also had crowds last season well above what Open Goal attracted as nomads in Alloa.

Clubs have to start somewhere, Braves, Colts, Broomhill are new clubs and have made the effort to join the pyramid, why should they be ridiculed??? It’s not as if you can buy a history?

2 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:
3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Clubs have to start somewhere, Braves, Colts, Broomhill are new clubs and have made the effort to join the pyramid, why should they be ridiculed??? It’s not as if you can buy a history?

Cumbernauld Colts represent their town no problem with that.

The other 2 don’t know what their meant to represent.

50 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Cumbernauld Colts represent their town no problem with that.

The other 2 don’t know what their meant to represent.

Do you need to represent anywhere to play football? Clyde played at Broadwood for years, doesn’t make them any less of a team? I just don’t understand the animosity towards certain clubs, especially when it is based on geographical location.

Do you need to represent anywhere to play football? Clyde played at Broadwood for years, doesn’t make them any less of a team? I just don’t understand the animosity towards certain clubs, especially when it is based on geographical location.
It didn't exactly work out for Clyde playing at Broadwood.

A club needs an identity or a purpose otherwise what is the point? The vast majority of clubs represent their local community or town and draw most of their fan base from there.

The fact that both Braves and Open Goal have went through multiple iterations already shows nobody really knows what to do with these clubs.

Broomhill are basically now a promotional tool for a podcast. I think a football club should be more than that especially at tier 5.

If they weren't so high up the pyramid then they would be getting much less ridicule. They also voted in favour of proposals that go against the grain of the majority of other clubs and leagues on the B teams while still keeping the trap door largely shut at the bottom of the league which have done them no favours.

9 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

It didn't exactly work out for Clyde playing at Broadwood.

A club needs an identity or a purpose otherwise what is the point? The vast majority of clubs represent their local community or town and draw most of their fan base from there.

The fact that both Braves and Open Goal have went through multiple iterations already shows nobody really knows what to do with these clubs.

Broomhill are basically now a promotional tool for a podcast. I think a football club should be more than that especially at tier 5.

If they weren't so high up the pyramid then they would be getting much less ridicule. They also voted in favour of proposals that go against the grain of the majority of other clubs and leagues on the B teams while still keeping the trap door largely shut at the bottom of the league which have done them no favours.

Clyde were there for nearly 28 years, so I’m not sure you can say it didn’t work out?

I have no dog in this fight, but is trying something new that bad, it’s not as if Scottish football is awash with cash?

5 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Clyde were there for nearly 28 years, so I’m not sure you can say it didn’t work out?

I have no dog in this fight, but is trying something new that bad, it’s not as if Scottish football is awash with cash?

There's no harm in trying something new. I think there were a lot of people willing to give BSC Glasgow the benefit of the doubt. They've since pivotted from one short term fix to the next with no long term plan. Braves have shed some of the criticism they earned early on by actually putting down some roots.

Trying to say do something for the sake of cash isn't likely to win over most rank and file fans. You'd find a majority of fans that find chasing money as the cause of some of Scottish football's problems.

7 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

If you want to have a kick about play in a Sunday pub league.

Of course you should be representing an area if you are in the national leagues or the top end of non league.

What is the point of a club without fans.

In Open Goals case they have played most of their time in Alloa when their roots are in Glasgow, Clackmananshire is well represented by Alloa in the SPFL and Sauchie in the EOS, does it really need another club for such a small area.

I would imagine Alloa 20s draw a bigger crowd than they do.

Caledonian Braves where do you start they abandoned their roots of playing French Students and now have a silly name.

They have also moved from Annan to a country park how many locals actually watch them.

Anyway this enough for this forum which is meant to be about EK.

Kilby get a bit of stick for starting out as a boys club but at least they are representing their town and have built up a fan base.

8 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

It's obviously not the 'new' part that people are ridiculing, is it?

We wouldn't be purposely making ourself homeless if it had worked out.

What new stuff is being tried? B teams and a club being an advertisement for a podcast?

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

We wouldn't be purposely making ourself homeless if it had worked out.

What new stuff is being tried? B teams and a club being an advertisement for a podcast?

Clyde only moved because they messed up over Goodwillie.

Is that not new??

Edited by Pyramid Watcher

Clyde only moved because they messed up over Goodwillie.
Is that not new??
The Goodwillie situation didn't help things but the council was never going to renew the lease anyway.

Yeah it's new and they've rightly been ridiculed for it.

On 09/06/2022 at 17:51, cowdenbeath said:

I was thinking it would be a farce if they got promoted to L2.

A Glasgow side who play in Clackmananshire with little or no fans they wouldn’t be much of an asset.

I get why you are saying that but unfortunately It doesn't matter if they have 1000s of fans or no fans or no money or more money than any team in the Lower leagues. If they win the league then they win it deservedly, if they are relegated then the deserve to be.  I believe there are teams better and bigger in the Lowland and the WOSFL and the EOSFL but they are there and eventually time will tell where they will be in next couple of years, 5 years or 10.   I don't think they will ever be back in Glasgow, never mind the west end but you never know and whatever fan base they have the now, I don't expect it to ever get bigger.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 21:44, Oystercatcher said:

Just heard we've signed former Falkirk player Gary Miller. 

Certainly splashing the cash this season.

Big favourites for the league now but a big test for Rutkiewicz who was well backed at Stirling but under performed.