The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

Fully expect the winners of this to demolish a shocking, demoralised, in-fighting riddled Berwick both home and away.

If the winner of this tie doesn't progress into league football for next season really hard to see when a non league senior team ever will.

Fully expect the winners of this to demolish a shocking, demoralised, in-fighting riddled Berwick both home and away.
If the winner of this tie doesn't progress into league football for next season really hard to see when a non league senior team ever will AGAIN

Ftfy

Cheers, we did well to peg it back to one goal down last Saturday.  Maybe just maybe Jammas goal in injury time will be the most significant goal in our ( short) history. 

Cove have some excellent players,  so do we. Game on c'mon the Kilby

1 minute ago, Kilbyfan said:

Ek underestimated cove and were on the back foot from the off...that said, winter and Longworth made a big big difference. Ek can definitely win this if they play like they did v Kelty...

Agree with this, EK are good enough to win this one but they have to play to their strengths here rather than worrying about Cove.

14 hours ago, gogsy said:

FFS just get into these teuchters.

...says a poster from Kelty.

Hope EK do it and then relegate Berwick, so will echo that sentiment. There should have been an EK team in the SFL 50 years ago if there was any logic in Scottish football and its surprising Clyde never wound up there as they tried to hijack Douglas Park through a merger with Hamilton Accies in 1970 because they knew the writing was on the wall for them at Shawfield.

Baws, next year it is then.

I know the playoffs were a step in the right direction, but (in an ideal world) I wonder if it's time to push for a guaranteed promotion place for the Highland/Lowland winner. Would love to see bottom of League 2 relegated and then second bottom in a playoff with the Highland/Lowland loser.

Looking at clubs like EK, Spartans, Kelty, BSC, these are sides in the Lowland that seem to have real ambitions of gaining league membership and pushing onwards and upwards (and of course Cove have harboured league ambitions from the Highland for years, presume there are others). Deck seems massively stacked against them right now unless the pyramid is opened up a bit more.

Best of luck to Cove v Berwick, if our two games with them are anything to go by, should cope easily. We never laid a glove on them over the two games,  absolutely no complaints about either result. Having faced Buckie and Cowdenbeath in previous play off games must say Cove a couple of levels above either and suspect they will  make real go of life in SPFL, so need to keep a sense of perspective. Doubt any similar challenge will emerge from Highland League any time soon.

On the other hand winning the Lowland League is invariably going to get harder and harder as the Tier5/6 set up is sorted. In fact that will be a good thing as will better prepare the winners to prevail in the play offs.

Agree 100% that automatic relegation for team 42 long overdue, a national embarrassment to  be honest. Shouldn't stop there either. Play offs across all levels from Premier down should be for getting up not staying up, another national embarrassment which rewards failure and we wonder why we lag behind. If 3 down from the Premiership in England ( no rewarding failure there) is good enough for arguably the  most succesful league in the world , then maybe we should give the concept a try. Recognise and reward ambition , not bail out failure. 

Tend to agree with everything ekok says, and I do feel that once the 5/6 tiers are sorted out it will be for the benefit of the Scottish game. Clubs will find their own level and hopefully will be able to compete in their respective leagues.

i just hope we don’t see clubs, similar to Selkirk, chasing the dream by overspending and finding themselves out of business. It’s very easy to sit back and watch the demise of clubs, however some people forget the loyal fans whose life is based around their clubs.

I saw the first Kilby v Cove game and I was totally in agreement, Cove were a different level and I was really impressed with their team, better than any team I saw in the LL this year. Kilby and the other contenders next season know how hard it will be to get out of LL. I also agree that I can’t see Berwick stopping Cove, but then again I said the same about Cowdenbeath last season.

The Cove team are absolute units and bossed East Kilbride all over the pitch when I saw them at the K-Park last week. 

I've no idea who plays for Berwick Rangers but they'll need to match Cove's physicality and aggression to stand a chance I think. 

On a side note, I'm disappointed East Kilbride failed to get promoted but the Lowland is shaping up nicely for next season and will be a great league to be in. Bonnyrigg Rose and the aforementioned Berwick Rangers (if relegated) will make the title race even more competitive. 

Sorry to see that EK were unsuccessful in your promotion push this season as I had been to 3 of your games this season and felt if you could get past Cove, then you would have beaten either Berwick or Albion Rovers and I stand by that.

I hope you can keep your squad together and improve in certain areas and come back better and stronger next year as I do think yourself, and a few others, would be a good addition to the SPFL in a similar way to Annan and Edinburgh since their introduction/promotion.