The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

See when you put a coupon on and your team wins on penalites the bet is down, so how is this record standing? The media have made it a bit of a farce.

It a kid on record that the media have jumped on and we are rolling with it[emoji16]
Ajax are even on board with it. Top blagging. Im loving it. All we need is roy castle and his trumpet[emoji16]

Can I just say one thing. The record is for consecutive wins. It isn't a record for wins in 90 minutes. It's just simply consecutive victories. The fact the UK media & Ajax have accepted this as a general rule should be the end of the debate. 

Congrats.  Getting closer to Belfast Celtic's senior league record of 31 games.

Was looking into non league records this week around the world and well they are not recorded  but will still keep digging.  Did laugh at a Czech (or some or nationally) I saw who won 51 games in a row in the 1920s but no one was able to verify the record ! The whole think is a minefield which is a shame as if EK do break a World Record it should by shouted from the rooftops.

Can I just say one thing. The record is for consecutive wins. It isn't a record for wins in 90 minutes. It's just simply consecutive victories. The fact the UK media & Ajax have accepted this as a general rule should be the end of the debate. 

Must admit I only became aware of this draw today but talk about changing the rules! EK are on a fantastic run but a draw and a win on pens is a draw!!!!

Tbf they probably don't know, nobody I have spoken to about it knew that one of the games was a draw so doubt anyone else does apart from people within or with knowledge of EK.

It put a bit of a dampener on the thing for me after I found out...

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf they probably don't know, nobody I have spoken to about it knew that one of the games was a draw so doubt anyone else does apart from people within or with knowledge of EK.

It put a bit of a dampener on the thing for me after I found out...

It's been well quoted that we drew 0-0 after 90 mins and won on pens in a cup final cup last season. It was mentioned and excepted as part of the winning run on Talk Sport a few weeks back when we were on 24 wins. I posted a link to the interview, but for some reason P&B deleted the post. It is available on our youtube channel. 

Edited by EKFCTV

19 hours ago, EKFCTV said:

I don't think the penalty thing is the vital issue tbh... It's the fact that other lower-level clubs (and indeed at least one other top-tier club) are known to have won more than 26 games in a row. EK passing the world record held by Ajax, at major top-tier level, is taken as EK breaking the world record - making an incorrect assumption no other lower-level club can have done better than 26 over the last 120-odd years of organised football. You only have to go back to last season and Hereford won 27 games in a row, but presumably didn't get all this PR: which is unfortunate for Hereford and the Southern League and good for EK and LL.

Winning 27 games running, pens or not, is great for EK as is the PR but it isn't (yet) a record.

I have done a bit of digging and have yet to beat - with evidence - the 31 consecutive wins registered by Belfast Celtic in 1947-48. So if EK can beat

University of Stirling (A) - EOS Qualifying Cup
Edusport Academy (A) - South Challenge Cup
Civil Service Strollers (H) - LL
Spartans (A) - LL
Stranraer (A) - Scottish Cup

we may be talking a world record.

Going back to the mid to late '70s in (as Zimbabwe was then known) Rhodesia, there was a team called, 'Glens Strikers' who competed in the Rhodesia National Football League (Northern Section) Division 5 in the '76 season. That year they won 34 straight League matches, most by a margin of 10-20 goals and a couple exceeding 20. They were jump-promoted to Division 2 for the '77 season and repeated another 100% win record over 38 more League games, most victories now in the 6 to 12 goal margin.
In the '78 season, again jump-promoted two levels, they finally met with some matching resistance in their new (Northern Section) Premier Division League surroundings and now, entry into the RNFA Cup. In this season they still won all but four of 38 League matches, drawing the others and then went on to win playoffs for the right to enter the RNFL's flagship National Division. They were defeated just the once in the Cup, having been drawn against strong National Division opponents. In the '79 season, they were a poor to middling outfit in the National Division and after that, I lost track of footie in that country.

That was an admirable playing record most certainly, but to be honest even that cannot be guaranteed being 'THE' Zimbabwean record, as runs such as these are reasonably common in African organised lower divisional football, and must also be so in equivalent echelons worldwide! For reference purposes, ignoring top-level professional African teams, most football there is strictly of Scottish amateurs-equivalent status.

Edited by Cornishman
Accidental text deletion unnoticed.

I don't think the penalty thing is the vital issue tbh... It's the fact that other lower-level clubs (and indeed at least one other top-tier club) are known to have won more than 26 games in a row. EK passing the world record held by Ajax, at major top-tier level, is taken as EK breaking the world record - making an incorrect assumption no other lower-level club can have done better than 26 over the last 120-odd years of organised football. You only have to go back to last season and Hereford won 27 games in a row, but presumably didn't get all this PR: which is unfortunate for Hereford and the Southern League and good for EK and LL.

Winning 27 games running, pens or not, is great for EK as is the PR but it isn't (yet) a record.

I have done a bit of digging and have yet to beat - with evidence - the 31 consecutive wins registered by Belfast Celtic in 1947-48. So if EK can beat

University of Stirling (A) - EOS Qualifying Cup
Edusport Academy (A) - South Challenge Cup
Civil Service Strollers (H) - LL
Spartans (A) - LL
Stranraer (A) - Scottish Cup

we may be talking a world record.

Just for the record if EK draw with Stranraer but beat them on pens in the replay will that make 32?

That would, I'm sure, be considered 2 distinct matches resulting in a draw then a separate 'win'.

If not there would be more competing claims, anyway... e.g. from November 2006 to August 2007 we find Dynamo Zagreb who won every game over a run of about 36 games except for a couple of draws in 2-legged cup-ties.