The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

We gave them a good game down there and 3-1 flattered them. 2 injury time goals. Wouldnt be surprised to see yous get a result

When was that selfy? This season? Im not confident at all bout it. Think they might just have to much for us. Fingers crossed we can pull it out the bag tho. Hopefully all the lowland league clubs left can do well. Good for the profile of the league.

When was that selfy? This season? Im not confident at all bout it. Think they might just have to much for us. Fingers crossed we can pull it out the bag tho. Hopefully all the lowland league clubs left can do well. Good for the profile of the league.

Yeah it was in the betfred cup. It will be a tough ask but there's no pressure on you boys. Anything can happen in a cup game, it would be good to see a couple of LL teams get a run in the cup. Quite a few heads turning with a couple of results so far and your win against Cowden will have the weaker teams in League 2 shaking in their boots!

Sorry to rain on EK's parade, but someone must nip this "World Record" thing in the bud.

Unfortunately EK haven't equalled or beaten any world record... They reached 26 wins in a row which is the same as the apparent World Record held by Ajax. However, one of those wins was on penalties against Gretna in the LL Cup Final (which would be classified as a draw).

More importantly the Ajax record is at top tier level - in fact it's probably only based on major top tiers - and EK are not playing in the top tier. It would only be any sort of record if no other lower-league club had ever won over 25 games in a row. This is clearly not so: for example last season Hereford won 27 games running.

Rather like Robbie Winters being officially declared "the oldest scorer in Scottish Cup history" - only for someone from Auchinleck in 2009 to prove older - it's a nice story but not true.

That said, doesn't detract from 26 wins (1 on penalties) and counting being an admirable feat.

Not getting into the issue re the game won from the penalty mark after a drawn game I am not remotely a believer in today's record equalling win.

The fabulous run East Kilbride are on is something I would love my club to even get to a part of.

However, the British 1st class record (I think)  for consecutive wins is 31 which Belfast Celtic recorded in season 1947/48 in Irish League and Irish Cup games. I have no idea what the non-league record is in Britain far less records from around the world.

I think is at best ridiculous that a national newspaper can champion a so called world record without checking basic facts. Did they not do something similar with a certain team playing in the 4th tier with the size of their crowds.

Good luck to EK on their winning run, however long it may go on for. They may reach world record status yet if someone somewhere can tell us that the max number of games is xxx. Otherwise it can only be a British Record that they aim for.

9 minutes ago, Dead said:

Not getting into the issue re the game won from the penalty mark after a drawn game I am not remotely a believer in today's record equalling win.

The fabulous run East Kilbride are on is something I would love my club to even get to a part of.

However, the British 1st class record (I think)  for consecutive wins is 31 which Belfast Celtic recorded in season 1947/48 in Irish League and Irish Cup games. I have no idea what the non-league record is in Britain far less records from around the world.

I think is at best ridiculous that a national newspaper can champion a so called world record without checking basic facts. Did they not do something similar with a certain team playing in the 4th tier with the size of their crowds.

Good luck to EK on their winning run, however long it may go on for. They may reach world record status yet if someone somewhere can tell us that the max number of games is xxx. Otherwise it can only be a British Record that they aim for.

Its been on the Record website but its actually the reporter from the EK News who flagged it up in his paper which is part of the DR group. I can see his point in giving the local team decent coverage in their paper and tagging onto the Ajax thing its a good story but as you say its a bit of a minefield things like this especially going into non league levels (HJ also makes a good point of one of the games actually being won on penalties and not in the 90 minutes).

Still a hell of a record though and a fine achievement.

Your right. After yet another last kick of the ball defeat for the Shire in a big game today I can only be very jealous of the way EK can win games at the death when up against it time and time again.

They are good for the Lowland League and if they progress beyond our level then good luck to them.

Spoiler

In 06-07 and a single game at the start of 07-08, Pollok had a pretty decent run, though not as perfect as EK's (all bar one of the drawn cup ties was won on pens, the other a replay).

2u4n76w.jpg

EK's runs this and last year:

ibgimo.png

28tkiok.png

Edited by cmontheloknow

Yeah, there starts to become a danger that we end up more focused on 'a record' than actually playing football matches.  BSC Glasgow visit today and hopefully we can keep the attitude, desire and workrate high and push on with the main aim of winning the Lowland league.