Noisy laptop fan

Had my laptop a few years but in the last few months the fan has become unbearably loud.

It tends to kick in hard when I start FM16, and just to stay at its fastest setting from then on.

It's driving me mad - it's so loud I can't hear the tv because of it.

I've tried cleaning it out with compressed air, and that's done nothing to help. It always sits on a USB powered fan cooling tray.

Any suggestions on ways to shut it up without frying the laptop? It already has as much RAM as the motherboard can handle.

Would replacing the HDD with SSD do anything to help? It's a quadcore processor, the only other thing I can think of doing is reducing database size on fm16 and seeing if that reduces the demand on the processor.

Sounds like the cooling fan needs a little oil. As you give the processor more work to do (i.e. playing FM), it heats up and the fan spins faster to keep it cool, Over time, the lubrication that keep the fan spinning silently starts to dry up, and the internal ball bearings start to grind together, making the whining noise when it has to spin fast.

Unfortunately, this isn't a straightforward job if you're not used to taking computers apart, as you need to virtually take the whole laptop apart to get at the fan, then remove the fan from its heatsink. It's much easier with desktop PCs, although I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

It's a little time-consuming to ask a knowledgeable friend to do, so I'd take it to a laptop repair shop and explain the problem. They ought to be fixing fan problems on a daily basis. They can either strip it down and oil the existing fan, or get you a replacement (which might last a little longer before the problem occurs again). I'd guess you'd probably end up paying somewhere between £30-£60.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived