St Johnstone v The Green Half of the Establishment, Saturday 20 August 2016

A trip to Perth for the Hoops next week. McDairmid Park is usually a tough enough trip for Celtic, although we have enjoyed some good victories at McDairmid. Although we've only won 3 of our last 6 visits there & lost on our last game played there last season by 2-1.

However, as we know, the Ronny years are behind us & this Celtic side are quickly moving up the gears. If our fringe side can give a strong Inter Milan a good game & narrowly lose, then our club is looking in good shape.

Enormous respect for Tommy Wright as he's done a good job at St Johnstone & they continue to do better than expected but I can see a comfortable victory for Celtic next week. Griffiths is now not our only threat in the team. We've toughened up at the back, getting the ball from back through the midfield & up front quicker too & we now have more players looking like the threats they should've been previously.

Going for a 3-0 win for the Hoops.

Going for

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McDiarmid Park, Perth. 12.15pm kick off.

This well run, understated club from a small city on the banks of the River Tay, set amongst the beautiful rolling hills of Perthshire, take on one of the corporate giants of Scottish football.  A corporate giant who rules are made and changed for, who governing body's pander to; who will happily forego domestic fixtures to seek fame and fortune in meaningless international friendlies.  A club who routinely buy the best young talent from their opponents and stick them in their reserves simply to reduce the level of competition further.  A club that tv companies will do anything to throw even more money at, at every opportunity.  A soulless empty vacuum of a club that doesn't know what it means to represent your local community.

This is the good honest principled guy taking on Donald Trump.

David v Goliath.  

The honest hardworking family taking on one of the giant billion dollar nicotine companies in a battle where all the jury have already been bought.

There should be no chance whatsoever of St Johnstone getting anything from this match.

and yet....

Saints should go into this with confidence and have a real go.  2-1 St Johnstone with Danny Swanson scoring another wonder goal. 

Saints go into this in good form, nine wins and three draws from the last dozen games, but it was the same last December when O'Halloran was in his pomp and that not only didn't end well but started us off on a really poor run.

We actually started that game well, O'Halloran had two one-on-ones and Davidson another but as is the case with Celtic, we were made to pay for missed chances and in what is a rare charge, chucked it in the final half-hour.

We are squandering opportunities this season but can't afford to do that this weekend. I don't think we are as tight defensively as we've been in the past either and conceded three goals to Celtic in each of the first three meetings last season.

If we can put out something close to our strongest side, then you have to hold some hope with our current form but more important is we don't let any result set us back like last season's pre-Xmas one appeared to.

Thankfully the new nets behind the goal during the warm-up will stop the Celtic fans stealing footballs. Why are they the only support you see doing this?

Celtic fans have some bizarre new confidence based on pumping a Mark McGhee side at Celtic Park, an event so predictable and regular ancient civilisations used it signal the changing of the seasons.

We've nothing to fear here apart from the ref.

I didn't realise that friendly results should be taken so seriously. In that case, I'd like to point out that we managed to hold an extremely strong Man City XI to a 0-0 draw after 45 minutes. We eventually lost 3-0, but both teams experimented and made a lot of changes during the second-half. Bearing the first-half in mind, it obviously means that we'll win this game at a canter.

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

We actually started that game well, O'Halloran had two one-on-ones and Davidson another but as is the case with Celtic, we were made to pay for missed chances and in what is a rare charge, chucked it in the final half-hour.

We are squandering opportunities this season but can't afford to do that this weekend. I don't think we are as tight defensively as we've been in the past either and conceded three goals to Celtic in each of the first three meetings last season.

I was thinking the exact same about the chances we've missed. Cummins has missed a few in a couple of games- Elgin and Aberdeen, Macca especially against Stirling, and Kane a couple; that one in the dying minutes against Hearts where he took far too long.

However, I think all three have mostly been in decent form in terms of general play, Macca especially looking good, and they are all obviously getting into great positions.  I can't remember us creating so many chances since the Stevie May season so that's a major positive.

We might well go Maclean or Kane up front alone for this one, with Murray, Midge and Blair in the middle and Spoony and the Swanson wide. (Or possibly Liam in the middle, with Blair wide instead of Spoony). 

Is there a facebook page for away fans pishing/being sick in bushes or lying about pissed outside Tesco?

Also, I'd like to encourage you all to boycott the inevitable merchandise vendors as it robs Celtic of around £4 million a year.

Celtic will win this in a canter.

I'd hardly be shocked. Every early meeting between us seems to go along the lines of early Celtic goal, we miss numerous chances and look good, second Celtic goal from nowhere, we score, then either that's it or Celtic get another on the break.

We're now 11 games unbeaten though. So we shouldn't fear any side

Archived