Oliver Burke

Contra

Supposedly Spurs and Newcastle are scouting him? I'd be really surprised if either were, but perhaps it's only a bigger club that would be willing to pay what WBA want for him

Both had scouts watching him for the U23’s tonight, he scored twice.

14 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Supposedly Spurs and Newcastle are scouting him? I'd be really surprised if either were, but perhaps it's only a bigger club that would be willing to pay what WBA want for him

What the hell is going on with this lad?  He's definitely got the talent for a Newcastle, but I'd imagine he'd warm the bench for Spurs and eventually move out on loan again.  There's something utterly predictable about his career trajectory, but I have no idea why that should be.

What the hell is going on with this lad?  He's definitely got the talent for a Newcastle, but I'd imagine he'd warm the bench for Spurs and eventually move out on loan again.  There's something utterly predictable about his career trajectory, but I have no idea why that should be.
There is an article from yesterday where Darren Moore says "he's got something ive never seen in all my time as a player and a coach" but doesn't elaborate.
Presumably it's either a third nipple or he's talking about OB's explosive strength and pace. So frustrating to know he could be very good but at the moment is struggling to even halt his regression.

That clarified nothing! It’s not exactly a ringing endorsement of Burke, but it’s in keeping with the Red Bull coach who sold him because he wasn’t willing to work on “certain things”, which I guess as the same thing West Brom are concerned about.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

There is an article from yesterday where Darren Moore says "he's got something ive never seen in all my time as a player and a coach" but doesn't elaborate.
Presumably it's either a third nipple or he's talking about OB's explosive strength and pace. So frustrating to know he could be very good but at the moment is struggling to even halt his regression.

“Oli has got some wonderful attributes that I’ve seen from no other player for a long, long time - that’s in my playing career and coaching career.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That clarified nothing! It’s not exactly a ringing endorsement of Burke, but it’s in keeping with the Red Bull coach who sold him because he wasn’t willing to work on “certain things”, which I guess as the same thing West Brom are concerned about.

“What I am saying is, he is being developed to get better.

“He clearly understands where we’re at and he’s at.”

Technical director Luke Dowling also feels Burke needs time to find his form.

“We need to be patient with him which the club are currently doing now.

“Darren Moore, Graeme Jones and the coaching staff are getting their points across to him.

“What he needs to do in possession, what he needs to do out of possession. Oli’s reacting great to it, in terms of different training techniques, things away from training he needs to work on.

“We want this to work, there’s a player there, of course there is.

“The club have paid the money so lets make it work, try and get the best out of him.

• 2 months later...

Seems the special training regime he was put on has not worked as he's now being offered on loan for the rest of the season.

Rather worrying that he's failed to turn around this steep slide into irrelevance - especially as it seems like every manager he's had since leaving Nottingham Forest has been stressing to him that he needs to work on his game intelligence/defensive awareness. That's two and a half years he's had to do something about it and he's not risen to the challenge.

Millwall and Celtic are the two clubs linked with him. Celtic would be interesting but then again it could spoil what has been a really interesting (for a neutral like me) season so far, as he could well steamroller SPFL opposition and help Celtic break away, all while largely ignoring the deficiencies in his game. Then again Rodgers has worked wonders with guys like Forrest, Armstrong and McGregor so maybe he could finally develop into a rounded team player there. 

Anyway, I'm rambling. Forgot to even mention that he's finished and is destined for Burker King.

What a massive comedown that would be.  The potential that led to him being given a tremendous opportunity for a record fee, now being touted around the Championship or sent back home.

I wonder if it's down to him purely not having it in him to make the changes, or an attitude problem.  Probably a bit of both, but I expect his physical attributes have masked a lot of sins that have now been laid bare by multiple clubs.

Still, at least this thread will be good value for going back to in a few years and picking out some of the ridiculous takes.  Actually interesting looking back at page 1 that Ryan Fraser gets mentioned alongside him - I know which I'd rather have right now.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

What a massive comedown that would be.  The potential that led to him being given a tremendous opportunity for a record fee, now being touted around the Championship or sent back home.

I wonder if it's down to him purely not having it in him to make the changes, or an attitude problem.  Probably a bit of both, but I expect his physical attributes have masked a lot of sins that have now been laid bare by multiple clubs.

Still, at least this thread will be good value for going back to in a few years and picking out some of the ridiculous takes.  Actually interesting looking back at page 1 that Ryan Fraser gets mentioned alongside him - I know which I'd rather have right now.

No matter where he ends up in Jan we still can't write him off. Massive comedown tho as you say.

When he produces moments like his Toulon goal or the Nottingham F. Purple patch he looks old Ronaldo-esque, but I guess it's the other 89.99 minutes of games that bother managers more.  I don't think it's an attitude thing as he does seem bright and was open to the challenge of moving to Leipzig when an obvious move within England seemed certain. Perhaps it is just that he is one-dimensional - capable of explosive attacks now and then but worse than a man down for the rest of the game. 

I'm talking myself into and out of 'he's finished' tbh. A total enigma as things stand. Will just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

No matter where he ends up in Jan we still can't write him off. Massive comedown tho as you say.

When he produces moments like his Toulon goal or the Nottingham F. Purple patch he looks old Ronaldo-esque, but I guess it's the other 89.99 minutes of games that bother managers more.  I don't think it's an attitude thing as he does seem bright and was open to the challenge of moving to Leipzig when an obvious move within England seemed certain. Perhaps it is just that he is one-dimensional - capable of explosive attacks now and then but worse than a man down for the rest of the game. 

I'm talking myself into and out of 'he's finished' tbh. A total enigma as things stand. Will just have to wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he isn't.   With his physical attributes he obviously has potential, the potential Forest saw, and the same that saw him go to Germany.  But it's sounding more and more like either his attitude stinks or the rest of his ability does.  Just a big shame.

5 hours ago, forameus said:

I for one am absolutely stunned that kenny131 made a complete c**t of it.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Another lazy waster then, throw in the same bin as Riordan and O Connor.

I'm not sure that's fair. By the sounds of things he got very little coaching early on, instead coaches just hurled him onto the wing and told him to run past folk.

He's got years of catching up to do, and you'd imagine the coaching ideals at Leipzig vary wildly from Nottingham Forest and West Brom.

He needs to be at a club for 3/4 years, with quality coaching, to reach the potential he has, but I can't see any club having that patience if they're spending millions on him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly improves as he reaches 30.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'm not sure that's fair. By the sounds of things he got very little coaching early on, instead coaches just hurled him onto the wing and told him to run past folk.
He's got years of catching up to do, and you'd imagine the coaching ideals at Leipzig vary wildly from Nottingham Forest and West Brom.
He needs to be at a club for 3/4 years, with quality coaching, to reach the potential he has, but I can't see any club having that patience if they're spending millions on him.
Wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly improves as he reaches 30.
Criminal if it takes that long (especially as pace normally drops off in the late 20s)
NForest had a great rep for developing youth talent so it'd be a surprise if they were so remiss with such a prospect as burke. But yeah something has definitely gone wrong somewhere along the line. WBA aren't excluding him from the squad out of badness - he is quite simply not equipped to be a 90 min 11 a side team player as things stand.

35 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Criminal if it takes that long (especially as pace normally drops off in the late 20s)
NForest had a great rep for developing youth talent so it'd be a surprise if they were so remiss with such a prospect as burke. But yeah something has definitely gone wrong somewhere along the line. WBA aren't excluding him from the squad out of badness - he is quite simply not equipped to be a 90 min 11 a side team player as things stand.

I genuinely believe he's had almost no tactical coaching in his career, until he broke through. You see a lot of winger with sublime physical attributes who don't get taught anything. O'Halloran came to us with absolutely no idea where to be on the pitch, or where to go when he had the ball, and it took years to mould him, Burke seems similar.

It can't be helping that every club has him playing a different role too. Forest had him as a winger, Leipzig tried to make him a central player, and West Brom are using a weird asymmetrical system where the right winger is also a central midfielder.

To me, he always just looks confused unless he's being told to attack a full back, that's down to how he's been coached.

Before anyone says it's, I'm not claiming to be a better coach or know more than folk at those clubs.

14 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Did they?

Yeah, going from the talk of the time Burke was 'the latest product of Forest's impressive youth system' 

^^i used quotes there but I'm just going from memory but it was words to that effect

ETA: okay not quite what I remembered but here's a link from the time: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/04/13/forest-youth-coach-comments-freedmans-approach-towards-the-clubs/

Seems that Dougie Freedmanput a lot of focus/faith in the Forest youth system

Edited by Gordopolis