Oliver Burke

Contra

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Aye but you can't really teach that, its a natural thing.  Relegation will be good for Burke, he will play more and does quite well at that level.

Dunno. If I recall correctly, he hardly played for West Brom when they were in the Championship?

Can't remember, but he skooshed it for Forrest over the course of about 30 games then got his move on the back of that.

3 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

For certain you can teach strikers movement in the box.  The out-to-in move to get ahead of defenders.   It's an art that Kenny Miller improved on as he aged/developed.  

You can improve it a bit, I just have doubts about how coachable he is. He's had as good an education as a footballer can get and still it doesn't seem to have really clicked.  A good option off the bench on the wing with no defensive responsibilities, but I don't see what more he can offer us than that. Realistically if it wasn't for his physical attributes he'd be playing amatuer football.

1 minute ago, Erih Shtrep said:

That's why RB Leipzip binned him.   He'll end up as a wee bit better version of Tony Watt, sadly.  

I actually quite like Watt he has genuine talent, but will never trouble a Scotland squad unless he has a purple patch and we are a bit short.  That's exactly what Leipzig said about Burke he couldn't learn tactically.  Never heard him talk, maybe he's just thick as shit.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I actually quite like Watt he has genuine talent, but will never trouble a Scotland squad unless he has a purple patch and we are a bit short.  That's exactly what Leipzig said about Burke he couldn't learn tactically.  Never heard him talk, maybe he's just thick as shit.

You've not seen his film reviews?  

When interviewed, Burke comes across well - articulate and appropriately humble. That doesn't mean much in any footballing sense, but he does seem like a bright and well-adjusted lad off the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
19 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

When interviewed, Burke comes across well - articulate and appropriately humble. That doesn't mean much in any footballing sense, but he does seem like a bright and well-adjusted lad off the pitch.

Aye, it doesn't have much bearing.

One of the things I've always loved about football, take a guy like Paul Gascoigne. A fucking moron, no offence to him, childhood hero of mine, but he is. Stupid.  An unintelligent person, probably borderline learning disabilities, in most rooms he's walked into in his whole life he's the dumbest person in the room without question.

But put a ball at his feet and he becomes a genius. He can see things nobody else can, sees an entirely different picture cause his range of talents limit him a lot less than other players, and his imagination and vision allow him to see passes and runs that other players, top top professionals, can't see, and he does it in the blink of an eye.  Its a beautiful thing that.

Aye, it doesn't have much bearing.
One of the things I've always loved about football, take a guy like Paul Gascoigne. A fucking moron, no offence to him, childhood hero of mine, but he is. Stupid.  An unintelligent person, probably borderline learning disabilities, in most rooms he's walked into in his whole life he's the dumbest person in the room without question.
But put a ball at his feet and he becomes a genius. He can see things nobody else can, sees an entirely different picture cause his range of talents limit him a lot less than other players, and his imagination and vision allow him to see passes and runs that other players, top top professionals, can't see, and he does it in the blink of an eye.  Its a beautiful thing that.

True. As a footballer, Gascoigne was like quicksilver, especially up here. Even down south and in Italy he was brilliant, if mercurial. As a person though, he was and is - sadly - a broken thing.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

As shite as he is he still offers more than Mcburnie for me. Not hard I know but I wouldn’t be wasting 2 spots on them if Griffiths is fit.

The man hasn't been fit in 4 years and, imo, lacks the desire and discipline to be so, sadly. I did think he looked hungry when he came on against Israel though, so maybe there's hope.

For what it's worth I reckon Burke is pish, but has the potential to be an absolute cult hero. McBurnie has been a passenger everytime I've seen him.

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

True. As a footballer, Gascoigne was like quicksilver, especially up here. Even down south and in Italy he was brilliant, if mercurial. As a person though, he was and is - sadly - a broken thing.

Aye, the people around him did him no favours at all.  Just waiting for the announcement he's dead sadly.

• 11 months later...
Just now, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:
Sheffield United have punted Burke to Millwall on loan for the rest of the season.

Short staffed at the New Den burger stand, I presume?

It just goes to show that anything can happen. Theres alot of variables to whether a young footballer can reach their potential.

When he was like 17 or 18 and playing for forest he looked an unbelievable prospect. Then transferring to rb leipzig he had the chance of a great career. I remember him coming off the bench in his first game and changing the game and getting an assist.

Fast forward 5 years and he's never even once matched his yearly goal tally for forest. And he's now on loan at Millwall, which he will no doubt fail again.

It wouldn’t surprise me now if he retires early. 

It's weird looking back at how hopeful I was for him. Admittedly, that was based mainly on a few flashes of brilliance at Forest and the hype of his sudden £13/15m move as a teenager to the Bundesliga, allied to the overall dejected national team outlook at the time. I remember Strachan shrugging after one game saying "there's nobody out there, nobody coming through". Depressing as feck. So when Burke emerged there was a sense of "please let him be our Bale/Ibrahimovic".

The current situation is much much brighter than it was then - with a good core of really skilful players (who are actually delivering at a high level) with age on their side. I'd much rather have that than praying for a "freak" to emerge. Not that you can't necessarily have both, of course.

It's weird looking back at how hopeful I was for him. Admittedly, that was based mainly on a few flashes of brilliance at Forest and the hype of his sudden £13/15m move as a teenager to the Bundesliga, allied to the overall dejected national team outlook at the time. I remember Strachan shrugging after one game saying "there's nobody out there, nobody coming through". Depressing as feck. So when Burke emerged there was a sense of "please let him be our Bale/Ibrahimovic".

The current situation is much much brighter than it was then - with a good core of really skilful players (who are actually delivering at a high level) with age on their side. I'd much rather have that than praying for a "freak" to emerge. Not that you can't necessarily have both, of course.

Decided to look at three matchday squads for the u21s around this time. Players who earned a Scotland cap:

Stuart Armstrong
Ryan Jack
Dylan McGeouch
Kenny McLean
Ryan Fraser
Stephen O'Donnell
Barrie McKay
Tony Watt
Stuart Findlay
Callum Paterson

Some not bad players there. Jack, Fraser, Paterson and McKay were all good prospects too, weren't they? f**k you Strachan (even though he gave a bunch of them their debut).

Strachan was always very good at bringing through younger players and getting them involved with squads, he just didn't necessarily trust them to play in big games.
I was surprised when I looked a wee while ago at some of the names in his squads. Jack and McGregor were in there years before their debut, plus Gauld even got a call-up.

• 6 months later...