Oliver Burke

Contra

22 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You can make the wrong decision without it being stupid. Celtic seem to be making stupid decisions every day now it seems but I wouldn’t classify this as one of them given every other professional club in the land didn’t feel like offering him a professional contract either.

Anyway I think this is going round in circles.

Its going round in circles because you fail to recognise that Robertson played for celtic. And not every other team.

So the only club that had Robertson and could assess him, and then deem him not good enough. Was celtic.

Its ridiculous to suggest that every other team, who possibly would never have seen him play. Made the same mistake as celtic is bizarre.

Freeing a guy, who as pep said is now worth more than your whole first team combined.

Its more than a mistake, its a monumental f**k up.

If your a celtic fan, why in the hell would you want someone who made that decision still to be employed?

How many other stupid decisions has that person or persons made?

Edited by BingMcCrosby

On 11/01/2021 at 11:26, albagubrath said:

Does anyone actually believe the released for being too small stories that are so very common? Surely that is not an actual thing? I would happily wager that, although there are perhaps a few troglodytes left out there that do it, the majority of players released for being too small are told that to avoid a difficult conversation only.

You are being released for being bad at football, you will never be a professional is a difficult conversation to have especially with a child. You are being released for being too small, grow a bit and you might make it is an easy conversation to have. People will intrinsically choose the easy conversation.

Nah.

Aberdeen released Maloney for being too small. You then find out that he never wanted to sign for Aberdeen as he was a Celtic fan through and through. As soon as he was offered terms there he was off.

There has been others where the same thing has been claimed by supporters. When you speak to their pals you find out they were released because they'd spend their weekends drinking vodka in the park with their mates.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Nah.

Aberdeen released Maloney for being too small. You then find out that he never wanted to sign for Aberdeen as he was a Celtic fan through and through. As soon as he was offered terms there he was off.

There has been others where the same thing has been claimed by supporters. When you speak to their pals you find out they were released because they'd spend their weekends drinking vodka in the park with their mates.

Aye, it's a load of pish. It's not like we've ever had our actual National Team manager say that we're a genetically inferior nation to everyone else in the national papers.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, it's a load of pish. It's not like we've ever had our actual National Team manager say that we're a genetically inferior nation to everyone else in the national papers.

Was that not the ramblings of an under pressure manager after losing/drawing a game we were expected to win?

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Was that not the ramblings of an under pressure manager after losing/drawing a game we were expected to win?

You can call it whatever you like, the fact is the former manager of the National team has openly stated this "too wee" nonsense in public, so I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that same line will trotted out to players they want to move on.

Edited by The Moonster

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You can call it whatever you like, the fact is the former manager of the National team has openly stated this "too wee" nonsense in public, so I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that same line will trotted out to players they want to move on.

Meme Reaction GIF

• 2 weeks later...
Unbelievable finish as well.
The way he stood still on the penalty spot and deliberately glanced it off the defender. They should call him "the eel"

Edit: Pisstakes aside, it's interesting the way he's now regarded by EPL pundits etc. Commentators were saying "he's such a handful for defenders, so unpredictable... Though you get the feeling that even he doesn't know what he's going to do next"

It is kind of damning with faint praise, but it's better than before this season when he was a bit of a joke figure.

Burke hasn't changed in 6 years.   

He runs like number 9 Ronaldo, and the rest of the time he ball watches like a 14 year old learning his craft.    His best work always comes the first few minutes of his introduction - as it did tonight.   

I can understand why teams took a punt of him and I can understand why multiple coaches were tearing their hair out coaching him.   He could learn loads from someone like Ally McCoist or Kris Boyd about movement in the box.   

He's still miles better than McBurnie.  

He runs like number 9 Ronaldo, and the rest of the time he ball watches like a 14 year old learning his craft.    His best work always comes the first few minutes of his introduction - as it did tonight.   

I can understand why teams took a punt of him and I can understand why multiple coaches were tearing their hair out coaching him.   He could learn loads from someone like Ally McCoist or Kris Boyd about movement in the box.   

He's certainly not developed as much as you'd hope/expect in the last 5 years. There were a few decent signs tho: his team game awareness looked better - running the ball into the corner instead of blindly fucking up an attack.

Vs McBurnie? I don't know. I feel like Burke is a decent shout for any squad just to have as a jack in the box speed demon, but he has none of McBurnie's finesse or composure (fast headless chicken vs ponderous donkey).

The pair are definitely flawed. If it came down to one or the other I think Clarke might choose Burke, just because of his impact potential (and the fact that he dug SC out of a hole in the Cyprus game)

19 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Aye but you can't really teach that, its a natural thing.  Relegation will be good for Burke, he will play more and does quite well at that level.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye but you can't really teach that, its a natural thing.  Relegation will be good for Burke, he will play more and does quite well at that level.

For certain you can teach strikers movement in the box.  The out-to-in move to get ahead of defenders.   It's an art that Kenny Miller improved on as he aged/developed.