Oliver Burke

Contra

Oli Burke isn't a player suited to knockout football. Doesn't have the footballing brain to adhere to tactical instructions.

I can't remember the last time I saw a player with such incredible physical gifts and such little understanding of how to use them properly. Until he figures out what he's doing, it will remain a fatal flaw within his game.

• 2 months later...
He is 23 - there is no reason to believe he ant adapt his game and become an overall better player. That said I am disappointed that since his Scotland debut v Malta in 2016 he has not kicked on and shown more of the potential he has.
I think the issue is that he was always fast and strong..that's great for underage football but when you hit seniors, you need a bit of skill.
Basically if Scotland had eleven U16 Ollie Burke's, we'd win the U16 World Cup.

On 06/01/2021 at 16:30, John Lambies Doos said:

I think the issue is that he was always fast and strong..that's great for underage football but when you hit seniors, you need a bit of skill.
Basically if Scotland had eleven U16 Ollie Burke's, we'd win the U16 World Cup.

That's why we have been stupendously shite at producing talented players for many years. Telling youth players they aren't good enough because they are "too wee" Thankfully that mentality has changed. 

10 hours ago, DAFC. said:

That's why we have been stupendously shite at producing talented players for many years. Telling youth players they aren't good enough because they are "too wee" Thankfully that mentality has changed. 

Maybe not as much as you'd think. Andy Robertson was let go by Celtic for being too small, I think Hickey was too. How fucking stupid do they look now?

Also I heard a cracking story on the radio once. Guy used to be a scout for Everton, recommended a player to them. Luka fucking Modric. After he had dismantled England's midfield in a 2-0 win that meant England didn't go to Euro 2008.  Everton said nah he's too small for the premiership. Goes to Spurs then Real Madrid becomes WPOTY. 

How could you possibly think a player is too small for the premiership after watching tear the England midfield up for arse paper?  

I've never understood how anyone can watch Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Maradona spend years drooling over these guys then the next day say to a kid nah you're too small.  See when Barca were dominating Europe, they also had the smallest team in Europe. 

Absolute wankertalk. If I owned a football club and heard they had let go a kid purely for being too small who wasn't a CB or GK I'd fire the guy that made the decision on the spot.  I mean that decision probably cost Everton a hundred million.  Mental.

Celtic should have been asking serious questions to the guy who decided to let Robertson go too, I'd love to hear him try to justify that watching him now.  It wasn't that Robertson didn't have it, it was just that that guy couldn't see it, and that's his actual job, so I'd suggest he's probably in the wrong one.

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Maybe not as much as you'd think. Andy Robertson was let go by Celtic for being too small, I think Hickey was too. How fucking stupid do they look now?

Also I heard a cracking story on the radio once. Guy used to be a scout for Everton, recommended a player to them. Luka fucking Modric. After he had dismantled England's midfield in a 2-0 win that meant England didn't go to Euro 2008.  Everton said nah he's too small for the premiership. Goes to Spurs then Real Madrid becomes WPOTY. 

How could you possibly think a player is too small for the premiership after watching tear the England midfield up for arse paper?  

I've never understood how anyone can watch Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Maradona spend years drooling over these guys then the next day say to a kid nah you're too small.  See when Barca were dominating Europe, they also had the smallest team in Europe. 

Absolute wankertalk. If I owned a football club and heard they had let go a kid purely for being too small who wasn't a CB or GK I'd fire the guy that made the decision on the spot.  I mean that decision probably cost Everton a hundred million.  Mental.

Celtic should have been asking serious questions to the guy who decided to let Robertson go too, I'd love to hear him try to justify that watching him now.  It wasn't that Robertson didn't have it, it was just that that guy couldn't see it, and that's his actual job, so I'd suggest he's probably in the wrong one.

Are you softening on your stance that Ollie McBurnie is a player?   

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

[citation needed]

Nah you can take my word for it.  However, if you look here cause this is as much research as I can be arsed doing, you'll note Guardiola's Man City are the 8th smallest team in Europe in 2017, and Ludogorets are the number 1 smallest team, and had won their domestic league six times in a row at that point.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/tallest-shortest-teams-clubs-europe-2017-18

So small works great for football, they actually have worked out the ideal foot size to manipulate a ball is mens 7, and the ideal height is believed to be around 5-7 (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta) for centre of gravity and balance etc. You need a few big lads to win headers, but most of your squad can be small and it doesn't matter at all.