Oliver Burke

Contra

16 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

That's it. Coach him to be more dominant in the air, or just to have basic consistent control of a football and he'd be pretty useful for us.

Isn't the whole criticism of him that he can't be coached?

I thought when he moved to Leipzig he was a smart guy as he'd knocked back "bigger money" from the EPL and went to a team who had a huge focus on developing young players, but it seems he's struggled with taking on instruction wherever he's been. As much as I don't like Brendan Rogers, he is someone who is evidently quite good at improving players with his coaching methods, Burke was largely disappointing there too. 

We just need to hope something clicks in his head.

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
18 hours ago, forameus said:
It sounds like we can write off the prospect of him properly living up to his potential.  The Leipzig admission that their big money experiment failed was quite damning, and I doubt they would have done so if they had any impression that they could get it out of him.  His moves since have echoed it.
But, we don't need him to live up to anything close to what was expected of him.  If he can just find the technical ability to ally to his very, very good physical ability, there's no reason why he can't play a specific role very well.  If there aren't 4 or 5 forwards better than him, he should be in the squad anyway, and it doesn't matter if his only contribution in a campaign is a 97th minute winner off his arse after he's left a defender in the dust pace-wise before falling over.  

That's it. Coach him to be more dominant in the air, or just to have basic consistent control of a football and he'd be pretty useful for us.

Walcott made an entire career out of being a speed merchant and not much else. 

Burke will be a nice to have, rather than a player to hang our hats on. His ball control is poor, and he doesn’t have the head for the game. Hopefully he can still develop, but I have no great expectations.

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I thought when he moved to Leipzig he was a smart guy as he'd knocked back "bigger money" from the EPL and went to a team who had a huge focus on developing young players, but it seems he's struggled with taking on instruction wherever he's been. As much as I don't like Brendan Rogers, he is someone who is evidently quite good at improving players with his coaching methods, Burke was largely disappointing there too. 

Rodgers left Celtic within two months of Burke arriving.

Fair point. It might be a matter of paring back the coaching to just teach him one, simple but effective thing, over and over, as opposed to throwing too much at him.
Not sure if this was what Leipzig tried to do.

Frustratingly, he seems fairly sharp and articulate off the pitch, so you have to wonder what the disconnect is between there and on the training field.

Perhaps, as someone said, the fact he might have been able to use his athletic ability to bully his way through age groups until now is partly responsible for his current lack of technical talent... but that lack has been evident for 4 years now. And that brings us back to the question of why he apparently can't be coached.

Frustrating one.

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
43 minutes ago, Rodhull said:
Another start and got an assist tonight by the look of it. (According to sky sports app anyway).

If you weren't in the stadium to see the assist with your own eyes, it didn't happen.

Don’t worry I’m sure Marshmallo will be along to red dot me for posting it shortly. :)

I liked it when WBA came out and said Lennon had treated Burke disgracefully by not playing him, before immediately punting him on loan again, having had no intention of playing him themselves.

To be fair, that was Luke Dowling the Sporting Director that came out and said that, Slaven Bilic was more coy and said he would assess Burke and all the other players coming back from loan, when they returned to pre-season training, it was from there that the decision to send him out on loan came from.

Bilic was asked recently if he still had a future at the club and he said that time was running out for him and that it could be best for both parties to look for a move elsewhere. He pointed at a couple of players who he felt had successful loans and Burke wasn’t named in that list. In the same interview he alluded to the fact it was an attitude problem with Burke and he said something along the lines of “how can you fit into a team structure when you won’t learn your role within that structure?”, it was after that line that he said time was running out for Burke.

8 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

To be fair, that was Luke Dowling the Sporting Director that came out and said that, Slaven Bilic was more coy and said he would assess Burke and all the other players coming back from loan, when they returned to pre-season training, it was from there that the decision to send him out on loan came from.

Bilic was asked recently if he still had a future at the club and he said that time was running out for him and that it could be best for both parties to look for a move elsewhere. He pointed at a couple of players who he felt had successful loans and Burke wasn’t named in that list. In the same interview he alluded to the fact it was an attitude problem with Burke and he said something along the lines of “how can you fit into a team structure when you won’t learn your role within that structure?”, it was after that line that he said time was running out for Burke.

He probably just wants the wages freed up

If, guessing, someone says your role is an impact player and player says wants to start. Never going to agree

Edited by Binos

On 15/07/2020 at 12:43, paul-r-cfc said:

I liked it when WBA came out and said Lennon had treated Burke disgracefully by not playing him, before immediately punting him on loan again, having had no intention of playing him themselves.

It was also nonsense

His Celtic spell was the best stuff he's done since his Forest days

He was alright at Celtic early on but the headless chicken aspect of his game was also clear. Considering how hyped he was a few years ago, he looked very ordinary.

Lennon clearly had no huge interest in playing Weah and Burke as neither of them added much that we didn't already have and he was better off playing guys who would be with us the next season.

Starts Vs Barca today.

I don't know if WBA mandated some kind of playing time clause in the loan, but if not, his run of games this season is quite encouraging.

ETA: Alaves got pumped 5-0 and Burke was subbed at half time. Burker King!