Oliver Burke

Contra

Just now, Gordopolis said:

"Just about" ran the ball out of the park? Jeezo, fair dos criticising a player if he *did* run the ball out of the park but he didn't - he used his pace, nutmegged his man and got a ball to his striker.

Why are you so desperate to find the negative here?

Fair play, can't say I put in the hard yards of browsing the BBC live updates so will bow to your intensive research.

He has another 3 years but Billic has been vocal in the fact he wants to move him on next season, whether that be permanently or on loan. He’s been a huge disappointment at The Hawthorns and is regarded as our worst signing ever by many.

Forgot he cost West Brom £15m...

He's playing regularly in La Liga, so I think it would be a strange time to completely write him off. Some players take a bit longer than others to work out exactly what type of player they are and what they're capable of - there are players who have started their international careers when they're much older than he is now and still gone on to do well for us.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

- there are players who have started their international careers when they're much older than he is now and still gone on to do well for us.

Think this is a pretty valid point. Even Anya who we debuted when he was 25/26? Had a pretty chequered career upto it all coming together. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Think this is a pretty valid point. Even Anya who we debuted when he was 25/26? Had a pretty chequered career upto it all coming together. 

God, Anya was like a revelation at times. Loved the guy. He's absolutely vanished of late though, which is a shame. 

Playing a full season like this one (albeit a pretty wonky one with Lockdown in between) has surely got to be a massive stepping stone towards him reaching his potential - even if that is just as a speedy merchant with average footballing skills.

Just now, AndyDD said:

God, Anya was like a revelation at times. Loved the guy. He's absolutely vanished of late though, which is a shame. 

Yeah his debut (I think) vs Macedonia was all about that burst of acceleration from a standing start. First time I remember seeing that from a Scotland player, ever I always thought pace was something other national teams had.

Cracking goal in that game too IIRC.

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah his debut (I think) vs Macedonia was all about that burst of acceleration from a standing start. First time I remember seeing that from a Scotland player, ever I always thought pace was something other national teams had.

Cracking goal in that game too IIRC.

Yeah that's right, lovely goal. 

Ditto that equaliser in Germany, when Fletcher held his man off and slipped Anya through. Pace, composure and the finish. Can a Scottish premier side no get him on loan or something, get the guy playing again? Sigh. 

It sounds like we can write off the prospect of him properly living up to his potential.  The Leipzig admission that their big money experiment failed was quite damning, and I doubt they would have done so if they had any impression that they could get it out of him.  His moves since have echoed it.

But, we don't need him to live up to anything close to what was expected of him.  If he can just find the technical ability to ally to his very, very good physical ability, there's no reason why he can't play a specific role very well.  If there aren't 4 or 5 forwards better than him, he should be in the squad anyway, and it doesn't matter if his only contribution in a campaign is a 97th minute winner off his arse after he's left a defender in the dust pace-wise before falling over.  

It sounds like we can write off the prospect of him properly living up to his potential.  The Leipzig admission that their big money experiment failed was quite damning, and I doubt they would have done so if they had any impression that they could get it out of him.  His moves since have echoed it.
But, we don't need him to live up to anything close to what was expected of him.  If he can just find the technical ability to ally to his very, very good physical ability, there's no reason why he can't play a specific role very well.  If there aren't 4 or 5 forwards better than him, he should be in the squad anyway, and it doesn't matter if his only contribution in a campaign is a 97th minute winner off his arse after he's left a defender in the dust pace-wise before falling over.  
That's it. Coach him to be more dominant in the air, or just to have basic consistent control of a football and he'd be pretty useful for us.

I was reading an article about him a couple of days ago. It was basically summarising his career to date. It had the usual insinuations that he's a few nuggets short of a happy meal - almost all of his previous managers seemed to suggest or outright say this. One thing which it mentioned is the effort he puts in. His former teammate Joe Worrall said:
"It is not that he doesn’t care but it is about doing everything correctly on and off the pitch to give yourself the best chance....“You just want to show them that, if they work just a little bit harder, if they do the extra hours, they could be so much more than they are.”
Perhaps this is a major part of why he hasn't improved as much as hoped over the past three/four years. A player who has been able to jog past/bully the opposition since he was a wee boy, now has to put in a level of effort and thought which he never has before.