Oliver Burke

Contra

5 hours ago, Rabinho said:

So are we building the international team round him or releasing him and sending him to the Belgian amateur league?
There can be no in between.

No, at the moment he can  rip a new arsehole in teams like St Mirren, thats for all to see. Last night showed he is out his depth at high level.  I was more concerned that Rodgers played him as the sole striker, as his first, second, third touch is not good, showed on numerate times, can this be taught. Who knows.

I'd take for Forfar, if he could become better finisher.

20 hours ago, gannonball said:

Claiming a team in the latter stages of Europe is better than an English championship team is hardly controversial stuff surely? 

Nobodies saying it is.

But imagine you loaned out this Bako lad in the Summer to someone like Young Boys, and he then goes public in the British media saying that Young Boys players are all superior to Celtic players.

Do you think the players/manager/fans would want to welcome him back after that?

The English Championship is massively overrated. There are some decent teams at the top and it's a fun league due to the competitive nature of it, but it benefits from trickle-down hype from the Premier League. You could rhyme off plenty of players who've looked mediocre to poor in Scotland and then gone on to be solid players in that league; Pukki, Stockley, Waghorn and Garner in recent seasons.

Burke saying that isn't controversial in the slightest. I'd back Celtic to beat any side in that league over a 2-legger.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nobodies saying it is.

But imagine you loaned out this Bako lad in the Summer to someone like Young Boys, and he then goes public in the British media saying that Young Boys players are all superior to Celtic players.

Do you think the players/manager/fans would want to welcome him back after that?

I'd expect the champions of the league ranked 16th by coefficient to be better than the champions of the league ranked 20th, so there shouldn't really be any backlash. Likewise, in this case, a team appearing in the latter stages of European competition should be better than a team sitting 4th in Englands second tier. The only people who make it an issue are either arrogant, ignorant, or looking for reasons to take offence at something.

As for Burke, I think last night was more evidence that he is not a centre forward. The Valencia centre halves are both very good players, but they dealt with him far easier than they really should have been able to.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

The English Championship is massively overrated. There are some decent teams at the top and it's a fun league due to the competitive nature of it, but it benefits from trickle-down hype from the Premier League. You could rhyme off plenty of players who've looked mediocre to poor in Scotland and then gone on to be solid players in that league; Pukki, Stockley, Waghorn and Garner in recent seasons.

Burke saying that isn't controversial in the slightest. I'd back Celtic to beat any side in that league over a 2-legger.

A bit of an irrelevant point though. There’s also been plenty of players who strolled the Scottish top league going to the English Championship and being utter diddies. For example, Boyd, McDonald, McManus etc.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

A bit of an irrelevant point though. There’s also been plenty of players who strolled the Scottish top league going to the English Championship and being utter diddies. For example, Boyd, McDonald, McManus etc.

It's almost like the style of football is completely different and suits different players differently. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

It's almost like the style of football is completely different and suits different players differently. 

Precisely. Why everyone is so desperate to say it’s better or worse than Scottish football I’ve no idea. It reeks of ‘wee man syndrome’ tbh.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

37 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Precisely. Why everyone is so desperate to say it’s better or worse than Scottish football I’ve no idea. It reeks of ‘wee man syndrome’ tbh.

It's what a lot of people do best.  Where a lot of English fans are absolutely desperate to point and laugh at how poor our football is, a lot of Scottish fans are desperate to retort.

I know which I'd rather watch, but I don't feel the need to do so by putting another league down.  Apart from the Premier League.  That's fucking tedious.

On 13/02/2019 at 21:22, gannonball said:

Some Brendan Rodgers quotes from the other day but you can see improvements already from Burke already under him

Usually a lot of Rodgers media chats are PR bollocks with buzzwords but he found some of this quite insightful regarding Burke.

“Oli’s definitely one that, because he can run he runs, but too often to the corner flag. The goal is not out there, my friend, the goal is in the middle."

Tactical genius right enough :1eye

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

“Oli’s definitely one that, because he can run he runs, but too often to the corner flag. The goal is not out there, my friend, the goal is in the middle."

I dont really see the issue with this? He’s trying to get him to change his game by changing his mindset of running to areas of more threat rather than just looking for space. Having seen him play a few times before he came here I see his point.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That's still miles better than whatever imagined exchange he had in the Clyde Tunnel this week.  Particularly when it's a massive weakness in his game by all accounts.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I dont really see the issue with this? He’s trying to get him to change his game by changing his mindset of running to areas of more threat rather than just looking for space. Having seen him play a few times before he came here I see his point.

Yes, but saying "the goal is in the middle not the corner" is, er, redundant. 

6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Boyd scored 12 goals in 37 appearances in the Championship.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Boyd scored 12 goals in 37 appearances in the Championship.

A reasonable record sure, not close to his Scottish record though, and he struggled badly in the majority of games. He was quickly shifted on and came crawling back to Scotland after a while.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

A reasonable record sure, not close to his Scottish record though, and he struggled badly in the majority of games. Which I he he unsurprisingly was quickly shifted on and came crawling back to Scotland.

He wasn't an "utter diddy" then? He did well enough for Nottingham Forest for Billy Davies to try to sign him permanently before he got sacked. And he didn't return to Scotland after that - he moved on to Turkey and America first.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He wasn't an "utter diddy" then? He did well enough for Nottingham Forest for Billy Davies to try to sign him permanently before he got sacked. And he didn't return to Scotland after that - he moved on to Turkey and America first.

Depends on your definition I suppose. I watched him for a full season and he scored a few tap-ins against poor opposition but was wildly out of his depth in the majority of games IMO. I’d say he wasn’t up to the level in the same way that Chris Killen and Lee Miller weren’t, but he managed to knock a couple of in from 6 yards out - still a diddy like those two in that league.

Aware he made a quick buck abroad before coming back to Scotland where he can score freely. Post had already been edited.