Oliver Burke

Contra

I'm fairly sure Burke is now the same age that Bale was when he made his breakthrough on the wing at Tottenham.
Physically, Burke is one of the best players I've seen Scotland have. Technically hes about average, and game intelligence is poor.
If Rodgers does to him what hes done to Forrest, he should become a key player for Scotland. Only issue is he'll be back to West Brom in the Summer.
You have to wonder if WBA see him as a real prospect or just a squad filler. Would be crap if he was back at square 1 this time next year

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
I'm fairly sure Burke is now the same age that Bale was when he made his breakthrough on the wing at Tottenham.
Physically, Burke is one of the best players I've seen Scotland have. Technically hes about average, and game intelligence is poor.
If Rodgers does to him what hes done to Forrest, he should become a key player for Scotland. Only issue is he'll be back to West Brom in the Summer.

You have to wonder if WBA see him as a real prospect or just a squad filler. Would be crap if he was back at square 1 this time next year

I get the impression they hope he stands out for Celtic and they can punt him off the back of it, but that's just guesswork.

Aye I'm getting a bit fed up with the rush to negativity. Nobody's claiming he's a world beater, but we're enjoying his performances at Celtic and celebrating the fact that he's getting regular first team football. Speaking for myself at least.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye I'm getting a bit fed up with the rush to negativity. Nobody's claiming he's a world beater, but we're enjoying his performances at Celtic and celebrating the fact that he's getting regular first team football. Speaking for myself at least.

Rushing to negativity is all this section of the board knows. We've had it for nearly 5 years in the Gauld thread, now it's Burke's turn again.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Rushing to negativity is all this section of the board knows. We've had it for nearly 5 years in the Gauld thread, now it's Burke's turn again.

Aye, it's the smug paternalism of it that really gets my goat, as if surrendering to weary cynicism is somehow noble.

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would hope that would be the case. If his reading of the game was better and could improve then he would be a decent player for Scotland along with his other attributes. 

Some Brendan Rodgers quotes from the other day but you can see improvements already from Burke already under him

"It would be great for Celtic but the reality is that the improvements he will make here over the course of the next six months will probably excite West Brom.....You are getting in a big talent, but the likelihood is that type of player fits around the core of the boys that are here. It may well be too much but all you can do is improve and develop him and see what happens....I spoke to Malky Mackay about him - he’d spent time with him in Leipzig - and he got some great insight from that experience."

"It just felt like Oliver needs time. He needs training and help. There’s no doubt that in there is an absolutely brilliant player. The key for me was what does he do naturally. We all know he can run like the wind, he’s powerful, he’s got physique but what does he do naturally?"

“That’s the bit we needed shining. There are things he can do better. In this short period of time, four weeks, I can see a lot of the changes in his game without taking away what he is good at, which is running and working and pressing. He’s good technically."

“I’ve been delighted with him. It’s a great challenge for us to help him develop and we get the benefit. That’s what this culture is about here.”

"Like most young players, like the Ryan Christies, they need confidence and clarity in what their role is."

“Oli’s definitely one that, because he can run he runs, but too often to the corner flag. The goal is not out there, my friend, the goal is in the middle. If you ask them why they are running there, they might not know."

“If you look at his movements now, they are inward, running into goal. It’s small but it’s clarity and what he’s shown is that he’s a learner. A good boy, hungry to improve but just needs a clear way of working.”

Usually a lot of Rodgers media chats are PR bollocks with buzzwords but he found some of this quite insightful regarding Burke.

On 10/02/2019 at 23:09, Billy Rubin said:

He's absolutely the type of player that can play off Steven Fletcher, like Forrest and Fraser did perfectly in the last games.    We have an abundance of excellent inside forwards in Burke, Forrest and Fraser.   The AMC role against inferior teams  has to be contested between Ryan Christie and Barrie McKay.    

Just saw this.

Reaction GIF: what the fuck?

12 hours ago, gannonball said:

Some Brendan Rodgers quotes from the other day but you can see improvements already from Burke already under him

Usually a lot of Rodgers media chats are PR bollocks with buzzwords but he found some of this quite insightful regarding Burke.

Brenden Rodgers words are even more boring to read than they are to hear. He's just sitting there patting himself on the back. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I see Burke, if the National is to be believed, is basically working his ticket by claiming the Celtic players are better than his West Brom team-mates.

The English Championship is packed with players who are big and physical but short on footballing ability. I wouldn't dismiss his comments if that is what he has said. West Brom probably pay a lot more money, but that doesn't necessarily mean better quality down there.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The English Championship is packed with players who are big and physical but short on footballing ability. I wouldn't dismiss his comments if that is what he has said. West Brom probably pay a lot more money, but that doesn't necessarily mean better quality down there.

I think he's probably quite right, but if he's planning to go back to WBA, it's a strange thing to say.  I'm inclined to think he's going to move in the summer.  Again.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think he's probably quite right, but if he's planning to go back to WBA, it's a strange thing to say.  I'm inclined to think he's going to move in the summer.  Again.

Yeah, that looks a fairly certain outcome. Everything I have read from him recently he has pretty much been begging Celtic to make it a permanent move. Whether or not West Brom are willing to write off enough of their investment there for Celtic to be able to afford it is the question there I think, but if he continues performing for Celtic, particularly tonight and the 2nd leg v Valencia, you can see someone being willing to take the risk on him again.

I agree, it’s hardly a controversial viewpoint. ‘Most of the players he’s playing with are better than English Championship standard’ - as trite and undeniable an observation as ‘most of the players he’s playing against are worse than English Championship standard.’

Win-win for Burke really.

The Championship in England is a fucking shambles. Pukki scoring 20 goals in there ffs. I can fully believe the players around him now are far better than the dross down there.
Pukki is a decent footballer. He has far more international goals than anyone playing for Scotland these days and has scored throughout his career. There are much bigger haddies in the English Championship than him.