Oliver Burke

Contra

• 1 month later...

Has started well enough at Celtic but from what I have seen, and despite his goals, he isn't a centre forward. Makes a lot of decent runs, but his decision making and finishing aren't great.

I assume when Edouard or Bayo are fit he will be moved wide, so won't judge him too harshly as it stands. Looks like he is guaranteed time on the park whatever the case though, which is a very good thing for his development.

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

Has started well enough at Celtic but from what I have seen, and despite his goals, he isn't a centre forward. Makes a lot of decent runs, but his decision making and finishing aren't great.

I assume when Edouard or Bayo are fit he will be moved wide, so won't judge him too harshly as it stands. Looks like he is guaranteed time on the park whatever the case though, which is a very good thing for his development.

I wouldn't totally rule him out making it as a striker yet but he certainly isnt a natural one. Think he can be very effective anywhere along a front 3 but cant ever see Scotland playing that way. 

He's absolutely the type of player that can play off Steven Fletcher, like Forrest and Fraser did perfectly in the last games.    We have an abundance of excellent inside forwards in Burke, Forrest and Fraser.   The AMC role against inferior teams  has to be contested between Ryan Christie and Barrie McKay.    

3 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

He's absolutely the type of player that can play off Steven Fletcher, like Forrest and Fraser did perfectly in the last games.    We have an abundance of excellent inside forwards in Burke, Forrest and Fraser.   The AMC role against inferior teams  has to be contested between Ryan Christie and Barrie McKay.    

Good post until the last 2 words 

10 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

Tremendous words. 

You can see why people are so excited by the potential of Burke as matching that speed with the physique he has is a frightening prospect. 

He was good yesterday but had been quiet in the first two games between the teams. Any semi-decent player is going to look decent in that Celtic team at the moment but Thursday will be a much bigger test for him, if Rodgers doesn't opt for Edouard. 

14 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

That's if Feruz and Mubtumbo don't steal in ahead of him...

Seriously though I agree re Burke being capable of doing what Fletcher did. Perhaps with a little less finesse in terms of aerial presence, but with a massive advantage of pace and physique. I think Rodgers persists with him as the central striker because of the panic he strikes into opposition defences who seem scared to give him any space, thus leaving bigger gaps for the wide men. The same could work for Scotland. Got to be worth trying at least, though I'm pretty sure McLeish won't drop Fletcher for the first games of this campaign.

What's that rolling down the tracks?  It's the hype train!  Choo fucking choo!

It's certainly a step in the right direction for him, but still need to temper expectations.  Masturbating furiously about what he would do for Scotland didn't work when he came through, and I'm not convinced that much has changed just yet.  But unless there's a few better options available to us (which there probably won't be) then it's no reason not to introduce him back into the squad if he's not needed for the U21s (is he still eligible for them? No idea how old he is now).  If he can screw the head on and prove the managers who've spoken out about him wrong, he could still be very, very important to us.  

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

What's that rolling down the tracks?  It's the hype train!  Choo fucking choo!

It's certainly a step in the right direction for him, but still need to temper expectations.  Masturbating furiously about what he would do for Scotland didn't work when he came through, and I'm not convinced that much has changed just yet.  But unless there's a few better options available to us (which there probably won't be) then it's no reason not to introduce him back into the squad if he's not needed for the U21s (is he still eligible for them? No idea how old he is now).  If he can screw the head on and prove the managers who've spoken out about him wrong, he could still be very, very important to us.  

I've had to laugh at this whole scenario, I had a friend on social media (Celtic fan) who would regularly chastise Burke as being hyped to the max and a player who would never make it, he was a "haddie", "one trick pony" and just about any other football cliche you can cram into one sentence. I was pishing myself when he signed for Celtic but my sides are near splitting now that the same guy is touting Burke as the next big thing (again) after playing well for his beloved Celts. As DA Baracus points out above, fickleness will never be lost on football fans.  Burke hasn't magically become a world beater since joining Celtic, he's just another inconsistent wide player following on from a long list of inconsistent wide players.  If he finds consistency then he'll make it to the top IMO, if he doesn't he'll probably still be a decent enough player for Scotland in the long run.

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Just a couple of pages back folk were calling him a waster and lazy and saying he's pissed his career away and other stuff.

Now he should be starting for Scotland.

I'm reading it more as 'he could do a job for Scotland', which I don't think is crazy.

Certainly not wanking wildly about the prospect...

Spoiler

...maybe spinning the plates a little bit though

Edited by Gordopolis

I think it’s been clear to see that Burke has always had something to offer, but without playing First Team football, he was never in a position to show case it.

Did people over hype him early doors? Quite possibly, but that’s not the lads fault.

Now he is playing regularly and, going by an outsider looking in point of view, doing a good job, then it’s only right that he should come back into our thoughts and in contention for the squad.

If this continues then I think he should be looked at for a call up, not because of any hype but because his play at the highest level in domestic football warrants it.

25 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Did people over hype him early doors? Quite possibly

Aye, quite possibly...

if similarities where to be drawn he looks like a faster Bale.

He is easily good enough to walk into our starting team. (August 2016)

At last we have player with all the attributes to go all the way to the top

He is different gravy

Actually quite interesting that Ryan Fraser is talked about in the opening page of this thread.  For all this Burke was apparently better than Gareth Bale, and was going to win the Ballon D'Or, I know which of them I'd rather have in the team right now.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Aye, quite possibly...

Actually quite interesting that Ryan Fraser is talked about in the opening page of this thread.  For all this Burke was apparently better than Gareth Bale, and was going to win the Ballon D'Or, I know which of them I'd rather have in the team right now.

To be fair the quote says "a faster Bale". Now I suppose that could imply "as good as Bale but even faster" which suggests he's > Bale. But I suspect the poster was meaning he was showing a similar potential as  a younger Bale but was already speedier (which he is, or was - going by opta stats or suchlike in recent years).

I totally admit to getting carried away when he first broke through.  I even had a photoshop of his mug on a Bisto jar ready to post, to perpetuate the whole 'different gravy' thing when he inevitably scored a hattrick against Lithuania for us. Of course that didn't happen and I never got to post my tragic creation.

But this time round it seems a lot more tinged with reality, i.e. he's flawed, got a lot of hard work to do... but still looks like a handful against SPFL Prem defences at least. Valencia on Thursday will be very interesting to see how he fares against a very good defence (if he starts).  At least if he comes back into the Scotland fold there'll be a lot less  expectation heaped upon him.

Edited by Gordopolis

I'm fairly sure Burke is now the same age that Bale was when he made his breakthrough on the wing at Tottenham.

Physically, Burke is one of the best players I've seen Scotland have. Technically hes about average, and game intelligence is poor.

If Rodgers does to him what hes done to Forrest, he should become a key player for Scotland. Only issue is he'll be back to West Brom in the Summer.