Oliver Burke

Contra

Strachan staying is bad for Burke too.  Why not bring him on against Slovakia and especially at Wembley give him experience he was fast tracked past the 21s now he's sitting on the bench when he could be getting invaluable experience when the games were both dead anyway. 

Also not playing friendlies hurts the development of young players we need to give the likes of him and Tierney Robertson etc as much experience as possible they have to be big players for us soon.   We could have had a friendly this week,  no doubt another one the sfa/Strachan has turned down and those two games Burke could have 9 caps just now instead of 5 that's how players like hazard have so many caps so young and it helps them get comfortable on that stage and find their feet by 23 instead of 28. .   Now he has another 18 months of his intl manager turning down friendlies and holding him back in favour of shite like forrest.   

7 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Strachan staying is bad for Burke too.  Why not bring him on against Slovakia and especially at Wembley give him experience he was fast tracked past the 21s now he's sitting on the bench when he could be getting invaluable experience when the games were both dead anyway. 

Also not playing friendlies hurts the development of young players we need to give the likes of him and Tierney Robertson etc as much experience as possible they have to be big players for us soon.   We could have had a friendly this week,  no doubt another one the sfa/Strachan has turned down and those two games Burke could have 9 caps just now instead of 5 that's how players like hazard have so many caps so young and it helps them get comfortable on that stage and find their feet by 23 instead of 28. .   Now he has another 18 months of his intl manager turning down friendlies and holding him back in favour of shite like forrest.   

I didn't agree with how he was just plain dropped against Slovakia, but it's understandable why he didn't feature.  Maybe once the game was gone you could argue he should have come on, but I think there was more call for him to do the same against England.  At 2 or 3 nil there, would've been good to have him as one of the subs coming on.

But let's at least wait for more than just these two games before we declare that it's such a terrible thing for Burke.  There's now months before the next game, in which time Burke will be hopefully featuring for his club.  If he's amazing between now and then and Strachan still doesn't pick him, then fair enough, he deserves criticism.  But he didn't show anything against Lithuania that showed he was an absolute must-pick.  Definitely should have been one of the subs against England though, and unless something goes awry, he should feature fairly heavily in March.

After his gaffe a few weeks / months ago about there being 18,000 fans at Motherwell games against Celtic here is another pearler from Hartson about Oliver Burke as RB Leipzig go top of the Bundesliga.

Burke.png

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

After his gaffe a few weeks / months ago about there being 18,000 fans at Motherwell games against Celtic here is another pearler from Hartson about Oliver Burke as RB Leipzig go top of the Bundesliga.

Burke.png 

I don't mind him or anyone else getting crowd numbers wrong but in that piece he comes across as close-minded and a bit thick.

I'm a Sunderland fan and I'd be off to the top of the Bundesliga in a flash for less cash.

Edited by ayrmad

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That was written at the time he signed for them.  It was a daft comment back then, and it makes him look as stupid as we all know he is now.

Just took it as the present, my choice would still be the same as most people knew RB had a good set up and were more than likely going to do well over the next few years.

Edited by ayrmad

43 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That was written at the time he signed for them.  It was a daft comment back then, and it makes him look as stupid as we all know he is now.

Yeah but we don't see much of the Bundesliga so Burke has clearly made the wrong choice.

1 minute ago, Dominique Malonga said:

It really is a shite attitude to have.

No one could have foreseen RB Leipzig doing as well as they have but it was always going to be a more exiting option for Burke than a middling EPL team.

I agree that their progress is better than most would have expected but I think most had an idea they were going to take up a fairly lofty position in the short/medium term.

IIRC they have also shown a very strong will to recruit and promote hungry youngsters rather than throw loads of cash at the more experienced paycheck chasers.

I agree that their progress is better than most would have expected but I think most had an idea they were going to take up a fairly lofty position in the short/medium term.

IIRC they have also shown a very strong will to recruit and promote hungry youngsters rather than throw loads of cash at the more experienced paycheck chasers.

Aye that's what I meant by more exiting. I should have said that tbf. They were always going to do well it's just they've done s bit better than expected so far. I was expecting a mid table finish in their first season up, which would still be a good season.

They seem to be going about it the right way. They are buying young players with potential and the ability to play a certain way instead of throwing money at players.

4 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Aye that's what I meant by more exiting. I should have said that tbf. They were always going to do well it's just they've done s bit better than expected so far. I was expecting a mid table finish in their first season up, which would still be a good season.

They seem to be going about it the right way. They are buying young players with potential and the ability to play a certain way instead of throwing money at players.

It looks like they are going to be utilising similar chat up lines to those Hamilton use to entice players to them rather than the Old Firm, just on a slightly older and more widespread player base.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm the same.  Every time i watch a live EPL game I wish I had bum aids.  On the whole, it's utter horsedick.

I don't watch many live games on TV now, I far prefer MOTD or FL show, I can see the CL getting the same treatment from more football fans if they don't buck up their ideas and make it more competitive,  unsurprisingly they appear to be angling for the closed shop moneymaking alternative.

5 hours ago, RiG said:

Burke.png

This was Hartsons latest musings on Burke...

‘He’s at Leipzig in the Bundesliga. I’m a big fan of German football and they have magnificent crowds over there. I think it’s a place where he can develop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3911458/Oliver-Burke-compared-Gareth-Bale-unfair-Scotland-youngster-world-class-says-former-Celtic-star-John-Hartson.html