Oliver Burke

Contra

To quote the great Ebbe Skovdahl " Stats are like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but they hid the most important thing"........My point here being Chris Martin can score as Many in the Championship as he wants, the fact of the matter, like Steven Fletcher, is that they are about as mobile as concrete and that is no use, especially when you play only 1 up front.........

1 minute ago, troopio said:

To quote the great Ebbe Skovdahl " Stats are like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but they hid the most important thing"........My point here being Chris Martin can score as Many in the Championship as he wants, the fact of the matter, like Steven Fletcher, is that they are about as mobile as concrete and that is no use, especially when you play only 1 up front.........

Thing is you could say the same about Rhodes in terms of mobility. Griffiths and McCormack are the only ones who 'look' mobile (i.e. they do a lot of scampering about and appear very busy). Fletcher, Rhodes and Martin rely more on anticipation and finding space.

Here's Leigh Griffiths stats for Scotland

21 mins v Luxembourg (69th minute sub)

64 mins v Croatia (started, subbed after 64 mins)

17 mins v England (73rd minute sub)

68 mins v Belgium (started, subbed after 68 mins)

30 mins v Qatar (60th minute sub)

15 mins v Georgia (75 minute sub)

60 mins v Denmark (started, subbed after 60 mins)

So, Griffiths has 275 minutes on the field for Scotland (compared with 259 for Martin), has scored 0 goals compared to Martin's 1, has been subbed before the 70 minute mark in every game that he's started and, like Martin, has struggled to make any kind of impact at all. Yet Martin is clearly a donkey that needs to be jettisoned ASAP and Griffiths is the great new hope. As ever, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You can call up stats for all Scotland's strikers to make them look, well, not very good. That's because they're all much of a muchness. Decent at club level, but none of them really look the part at international level. It's not just Martin that has looked out of his depth.

Griffiths has 105 minutes in the last 2 year though, I'd say he's come on leaps and bounds in that time.

18 minutes ago, troopio said:

Aye, right enough.  No less-than-mobile striker has ever been successful in any team.  Ever.

It's all about how you use them and what else they offer. 

7 minutes ago, Mccaughey85 said:

His name isn't "kinda" of irish, it is irish and for all we know he could have an irish grandparent and we have seen us lose mcgeady and McCarthy to this rule so it isn't a stupid idea to tie him down to us by capping him in a competitive game. Also if he does turn out to be as good as people are saying then England might come calling.

Has there ever been any mention, from the player himself or otherwise, that he wants to/is eligible to play for Ireland or England? England canny just phone up our good players and ask them if they want a game.

McGeady and McCarthy both wanted to play for Ireland, I don't buy this "Scotland didnae love me" nonsense.

In any case, he's in the squad, what are you actually complaining about?

6 minutes ago, Mccaughey85 said:

Not complaining just saying I would rather cap him sooner than later so there is no worries about him changing, and there is no reason why England can't contact him and ask him if he would be interested switching considering the fact he has been brought up in england. Wheres the lads parents from anyway, are they both Scottish?

His wiki states he was born in Kirkcaldy. I have no idea where his parents are from, but looking at how delighted Burke has been getting called up to our squads, I'd suggest the lad only wants to play for us. I'd also suggest that if he were eligible for Ireland or England that there would've been some mention of it in the press considering he's been linked with £8M moves to the EPL.

On 24/08/2016 at 15:32, kenny131 said:

Foruranus

On behalf of everyone, please stop this. I die a little inside every time I see it and it hurts me knowing you're probably chuckling away to yourself every time you type it. Fucking horrendous patter, just be normal and call him an arsehole or something.

Please. 

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

His wiki states he was born in Kirkcaldy. I have no idea where his parents are from, but looking at how delighted Burke has been getting called up to our squads, I'd suggest the lad only wants to play for us. I'd also suggest that if he were eligible for Ireland or England that there would've been some mention of it in the press considering he's been linked with £8M moves to the EPL.

He grew up in Melton Mowbray, so he's probably eligible for England through the schooling rule.  He hasn't given even the sligthest indication that he's remotely interested in playing for anyone other than Scotland though.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He grew up in Melton Mowbray, so he's probably eligible for England through the schooling rule.  He hasn't given even the sligthest indication that he's remotely interested in playing for anyone other than Scotland though.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play against Malta.

Bayern Munich interest reported in the sunday's, £10m getting bandied about. The Burke story grows arms and legs. 

For real?
They'll be looking to replace the ageing Robben I'd imagine. If he is being viewed as a direct replacement (even just as one of many possibilities to be bedded in over time) that's some compliment.