Track and Field thread

lichtie23

17 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Since when did Japan turn into a nation of amazing sprinters?

Wondered that myself. They'd 2 guys into 100m SFs but finished 5th & 7th... nobody out of their heats in 200m... nobody out of their heats in 110m hurdles... nobody in the long jump at all... so not obvious candidates to secure silver in 4x100m. Possibly they concentrate on it and practice it more than others? If you get really good at change-over is that a big help?

Andy Butchart of Dunblane and Central AC, with the best individual Scottish run I've seen in decades. Amazing courage and performance, big slice into the Scottish record in the Olympic final and digging in when his lungs and legs must have been screaming at him. If Frank Clement had shown that much attitude in the early part of the Montreal 1976, I'm sure he would have taken it.

8 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Just saw Lynsey Sharp’s toys-out-the-pram interview about Caster Semenya. She really should have just shut up and not said anything.

She'll be disappointed that she didn't get her 5th place medal, at least she didn't use the sore toe excuse.

Edited by ayrmad

Just saw Lynsey Sharp’s toys-out-the-pram interview about Caster Semenya. She really should have just shut up and not said anything.

She was asked questions by the interviewer and answered honestly, her emotions were high. Need to remember Caster is not the only athlete that is intersex athlete and 2nd and 3rd places plus athletes in heats and semis rumoured to be intersex and likely gaining advantages from it. She was also beat to a 800m European title by a doped Russian athlete and only got a gold medal a year later. Feels sorry for Canadian girl who finished fourth more than herself in my opinion and seen her hugging and consoling her.

2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

She was asked questions by the interviewer and answered honestly, her emotions were high. Need to remember Caster is not the only athlete that is intersex athlete and 2nd and 3rd places plus athletes in heats and semis rumoured to be intersex and likely gaining advantages from it. She was also beat to a 800m European title by a doped Russian athlete and only got a gold medal a year later. Feels sorry for Canadian girl who finished fourth more than herself in my opinion and seen her hugging and consoling her.

Why do you feel sorry for the Canadian, she was 4th in a race full of women.

I could train all day every day and not come close to the top athletes, that's not unfair, it's just how it is, perhaps Phar Lap should be stripped of all his race wins due to his advantage of birth.

• 4 years later...

Another Olympic champion is nailed for doping offences - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/55639597

"Olympic 100m hurdles champion Brianna McNeal has been provisionally suspended from athletics after being charged with breaching anti-doping rules.

The American is accused of "tampering within the results management process", the Athletics Integrity Unit said."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Laura Muir ran a new Scottish record for 800m at tonight's Diamond League meet in Monaco, winning in 1.56.73. Jemma Reekie also broke the 1.57 mark in second spot.

Muir had been picked to run both the 800m and 1500m in Tokyo, but had just announced the other day she was dropping the 800m.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...