Rovers V Brechin

Looking forward to this also. We had the measure of Brechin at Cliftonhill last season. Will it be the same this time round.

Ah the return of Ally Love, I'd fancy him to score. The only thing that might be in our favour on that front is that Darren Young and indeed the rovers defence know how he operates. Hopefully Mick and Ross come out on top in that battle.

At the other end, hopefully our two new strikers will be in about the goals again as they were last week. Apparently McBride got stretchered off in the friendly against Celtic the other night. Any news?

Bad day at the office. No bite at all up front.

Ridiculous challenge from Kyle for the Brechin penalty, totally needless as the player and the ball were heading out of the box at the time. Game had been fairly even up to that point with neither side looking dangerous. Fair to play to Brechin. They took the initiative to go on and get a second goal.

I'd struggle to award a man of the match for Rovers today. An out of sorts performance, need to put it behind us and move on. Away to Peterhead next week

Rovers were awful after the stupid penalty. Brechin took full advantage. Poor performances all over the park from us whilst Jackson, Love and Trouten tormented our defence. Brechin's wee number 8 was the best player on the park though - controlled everything in the midfield. I'm hoping that Brechin are actually very good and that we'll be alright against most other teams in the division.

Edited to add: crowd of 228 for the first game of the season after last season's success. I despair.

We were well worth our win today. Rovers started the game well and for the first 10 minutes we were on the back foot. Then we came into the game more and played some good football. We couldn't really see what happened when we thought the ball we scored in the first half, but it wasn't given. Rovers gave away a stupid penalty and from there on there was only going to be one winner. Our second goal came from a sweet passing move with Ally Love putting over a low cross to the back post and Jacko hit it home. After that Brechin found it easy and it was surprising we didn't score more. Well done City - what a difference from our visits here last year.
If Rovers are looking for a man if the match they should choose the "Only ball-boy here". He was a cracking wee lad who was so enthusiastic with a great sense of humour.

7 minutes ago, stovies said:

just up the road,,, a classic workemanlike performance i thought

Was exactly that and thought Brechin were solid throughout thanks to your back three who mopped up just about everything(feeble though it was).Jackson up front was lively. Should be a better season for Brechin than last.

As for Rovers that was a painful 90 mins, the only other game I have attended was versus Killie where we were pretty solid and passed it well. Early days yet but this could be either a very good or a very long season for us. And yes the attendance disappointment continues from last season

Couldn't make the game due to working but pleasing to get three points from what i consider to be a hard place to get anything. Two games , two wins , 6 points  , can't argue with that. Move on now to Tuesday to another hard game against Cove Rangers. Question to our guys in attendance today ...... Did everyone come through unscathed ? It would be good to go into Tuesday night with no injury doubts. Well done everyone.....

A pleasing result today,the wee no8 is Finn Graham have liked him since he has come to the club.Also good to see Paul McLean come on.Although we have won against two mickey mouse teams of this league its a lot better start compared to last season,bring on the bigger teams.

1 hour ago, RedintheBed said:

If Rovers are looking for a man if the match they should choose the "Only ball-boy here". He was a cracking wee lad who was so enthusiastic with a great sense of humour.

That's wee Ciaran Snuffleupagus whose da posts on here

29 minutes ago, citydiehard said:

A pleasing result today,the wee no8 is Finn Graham have liked him since he has come to the club.Also good to see Paul McLean come on.Although we have won against two mickey mouse teams of this league its a lot better start compared to last season,bring on the bigger teams.

Has the diehard given up on Forfar?

That's wee Ciaran Snuffleupagus whose da posts on here

He's a good lad, always chatting away. If the team had showed as mush enthusiasm as him then we might have won.

Why do we have a sudden shortage of ball boys? I noticed another boy joined wee Ciaran in the second half on the main stand side. Whenever the ball went out behind the goals though the players were getting it themselves

10 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Has the diehard given up on Forfar?

Who would know ?

As for the game ,  Rovers had the better of a scrappy first quarter but once we found our feet I think there was only going to be one outcome.   Saying that though, Buzz had to be on his game when Rovers hit on the break a few times . His save from the free kick in the second half in particular was superb. 

Jacko and Trouten are beginning to form quite a partnership with Jacko in particular gaining in confidence as each week passes. Any time he is on the ball you feel something good is going to happen.   The midfield are also working well especially Finn Graham , as mentioned earlier.  He reminds me  of Charlie King , a wee battler who is always wanting the ball and always looking at pushing forward. James Dale and him are very similar in style and seem to take control of each side of the park . The defence are fairly solid but it was great to see Pabs make an appearance . I think his composure will make all the difference as we are prone to a few scary moments with lapses in concentration at the moment. 

Very happy with the start we have made though.  Just hope this form continues. 

14 hours ago, RedintheBed said:

12 hours ago, sam2304 said:

He's a good lad, always chatting away. If the team had showed as mush enthusiasm as him then we might have won.

Thanks for this lads. You've made a 10 year old's (and his old Da's) day reading that. He absolutely loves being down on that track and is a good ambassador for the friendly image the Rovers are known for. Bizarrely, he's most fond of Airdrie fans but only because they ply him with sweets!

To the game, and I'm afraid it will be mostly repetition from me. We played for 15 mins; Brechin played for 75; nuff said, really. Wallace was excellent, Fisher was good, and Ross Stewart #2 and Ross Gilmour both looked promising in their short cameos, but that was it for quality. The usually reliable Kyle Turnbull had an absolute mare, getting roasted several times, and giving away a howlingly stupid penalty. A word too for the invisible Mark Ferry; why is this guy starting games when he's contributed little in the last month?

So 1 from 6 is poor. 4 from 9 would be more like it, but I'm not sure I'd fancy us to win at Peterhead next week though. However, when you expect nowt from Rovers... well, we all know the script.

Oh and well done Brechin; better side by a distance yesterday, and a decent bunch of diehards; very much like us in that regard, 

Archived