Alternate Cup

Anyone (Hibee Jibee, perhaps) know anything about the SCFA Alternate Cup which is being played for this season?

First round is this weekend, Upper Annandale v Lochar Thistle, followed by the second round on 3 September. I'm assuming that it's for the clubs not involved in the big Scottish Cup, like the Alex Jack Cup in the EoS, but I'm not aware of it having been played for in the recent past. I can understand the reasoning but it's not like the SoS is short of Cups!

I was told the other day it's for clubs that don't take part in the Scottish Cup. I believe the hope is for the winners of this will face the winners of the East equivalent for a place in the Scottish Cup, although I've no idea if the SFA have given approval to that bit of the plan!

There is a ridiculous amount of cups outwith the SPFL - not just in the South but in the East and juniors too. Don't see why another needed to be introduced - one of the others could surely have been adapted for this purpose.

1 hour ago, Kicker Conspiracy said:

Anyone (Hibee Jibee, perhaps) know anything about the SCFA Alternate Cup which is being played for this season?

First round is this weekend, Upper Annandale v Lochar Thistle, followed by the second round on 3 September. I'm assuming that it's for the clubs not involved in the big Scottish Cup, like the Alex Jack Cup in the EoS, but I'm not aware of it having been played for in the recent past. I can understand the reasoning but it's not like the SoS is short of Cups!

Let me sound the @HibeeJibee horn:
Zlatest?cb=20070419194711

Stu is correct... Was at the Southern Counties AGM and the plan was that it would give either 2 teams (one team each from the south and east) or just one team (winners of almost like a cup winners cup) to give the extra place in the cup

Good idea on paper and a great incentive for players and teams but not sure how well it will work with the number of cups the south already has

12 hours ago, theProdigy said:

Stu is correct... Was at the Southern Counties AGM and the plan was that it would give either 2 teams (one team each from the south and east) or just one team (winners of almost like a cup winners cup) to give the extra place in the cup

Good idea on paper and a great incentive for players and teams but not sure how well it will work with the number of cups the south already has

The thing now, is that the south league is a lot different now compared to 3 or 4 years ago. There's not really a huge fixture backlog anymore where every team in the league is playing Mon Wed Sat for six weeks. I appreciate that the south does have plenty of cups already but adding one more, especially if the prize is going to be a place in the Scottish cup or at least a playoff for a place, I believe to be a good idea and I'm sure most players/managers etc would agree.

The thing now, is that the south league is a lot different now compared to 3 or 4 years ago. There's not really a huge fixture backlog anymore where every team in the league is playing Mon Wed Sat for six weeks. I appreciate that the south does have plenty of cups already but adding one more, especially if the prize is going to be a place in the Scottish cup or at least a playoff for a place, I believe to be a good idea and I'm sure most players/managers etc would agree.

Days like today make it worth it for clubs, so the cup will probably be alright. Also, the plan is for it to be played when the Scottish cup is on, which will limit the disruption to fixtures!

Could be worth a few quid to clubs in the end up!!

Archived