Glasgow Perthshire History

Broomhill Ultra

Hi, the Bankies are playing GP tonight and got me wondering about the name. I see it was probably named after the Glasgow Perthshire Society that helped folk from Perthshire living & studying in Glasgow but anyone know anything more about the link and whether there is anything beyond the name still linking the two?

They're a difficult club to find history out about compared to other Glasgow teams.

I once spoke to an old man who managed the club during the 80s I think where they won back to back promotions in the Central League.

I can't remember exactly the story but he never told me his name

Did a bit about it for a programme for a game we played against them a couple of years ago - there still is a Glasgow Perthshire Society, but they don't have anything to do with the club any more.

https://www.glasgow-perthshire.dyndns.org/

Apparently, there were a lot of these societies formed to help recent arrivals in the big cities from various rural areas in the 1800s - another sporting survival is the shinty team Glasgow Mid-Argyll who also had their origins in one of them.

Did a bit about it for a programme for a game we played against them a couple of years ago - there still is a Glasgow Perthshire Society, but they don't have anything to do with the club any more.

https://www.glasgow-perthshire.dyndns.org/

Apparently, there were a lot of these societies formed to help recent arrivals in the big cities from various rural areas in the 1800s - another sporting survival is the shinty team Glasgow Mid-Argyll who also had their origins in one of them.

Yes it's an interesting connection, shame in a way that they don't maintain it even in a token way.

A bunch of miserable tcheucter c***s, I think you'll find.

Never been to a game there but the area around Keppoch Park today certainly wouldn't remind the homesick Perthshire diaspora much of their motherland.

Bankies won 6-1 tonight, close for first hour, Perthshire probably slightly better team in first half.

• 5 years later...