Queen of the South v Ayr united

Regarding our full backs; Boyle in particular has been way off it. Would like to think both he and Devlin will find their feet at this level and they're clearly not being helped by the troubles in central defence.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Smiggers said:

....' Harkins second best player on the pitch after Dobbie'....you are having a laugh. That was him on his debut when hopefully looking to impress. See what you think in a few weeks time when he has lost interest. In my opinion his performance absolutely epitomised the attitude of many players whose careers are on a downward trajectory and know it. Contrast with Dobbie ( who has played at a much higher level , similarly hasn't had much game time and is older ) who was sharp , interested and looked like a team player. Harkins whole body language was ' I'm too good for Ayr '. If you're happy then fair play but you are welcome to him.

Now you're just talking shite mate.

5 minutes ago, Smiggers said:

....' Harkins second best player on the pitch after Dobbie'....you are having a laugh. That was him on his debut when hopefully looking to impress. See what you think in a few weeks time when he has lost interest. In my opinion his performance absolutely epitomised the attitude of many players whose careers are on a downward trajectory and know it. Contrast with Dobbie ( who has played at a much higher level , similarly hasn't had much game time and is older ) who was sharp , interested and looked like a team player. Harkins whole body language was ' I'm too good for Ayr '. If you're happy then fair play but you are welcome to him.

I think that`s really unfair on Harkins. Presumably first competetive game of his season, I thought he did pretty well. He`s one of those players who can look disinteretsed but actually does put in a decent shift. 

Harkins did put a shift in today. He certainly did not look disinterested. As others have said, besides Nisbet, he was our best player. He's joined today, he's made two posts both slating him. No doubt GGH pumped his Doris or something.

Ok we will just have to agree to differ and my view of his performance , which was shared by everyone around me in the main stand , seems to be in the minority on this board...however....one question....if Harkins had an offer from anyone else would he be at Ayr?

16 minutes ago, Smiggers said:

Ok we will just have to agree to differ and my view of his performance , which was shared by everyone around me in the main stand , seems to be in the minority on this board...however....one question....if Harkins had an offer from anyone else would he be at Ayr?

He quite clearly had other options. Captain and regular at a decent Premier league side last season. He had options in the league above however the McCall factor as well as the coaching role has helped to swing it. 

Absolute crap mate were you watching the game. Harkins was total class today and will only get better.

A great result considering our injuries. Harkins for me had a great first half and caused us a lot of problems in that period.

As others have said Dobbie was different class - problem for us is making sure that we get the ball to his feet as often as possible in final third. It is a bit churlish to say this after a great win and after they scored 3 goals between them but I dont think that a Lyle:Dobbie partnership is our best option. Our 4 th goal highlights the benefit of having a runner alongside Dobbie to capitalise on these threaded passes- Dykes is a great capture and I would play him up the middle as often as possible. Lyle clearly has a big part to play but possibly on a rotational basis. If we could get Danny back he would give us great options and wide left would free up Dykes. That said Brotherston looks very promising and is knocking the door down for a regular start.

Thought Tapping and Jacobs were excellent yesterday and put in a power of work in central midfield as did Anderson out wide.

9 hours ago, Smiggers said:

Main stand confirmed. 

Seems to be mostly the same at every club :lol:

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

If we could get Danny back he would give us great options and wide left would free up Dykes. That said Brotherston looks very promising and is knocking the door down for a start.

Seeing what Brotherston did when he came on against Hibs, I would say his end product was better than Dan's. I'm looking forward to seeing the lad starting more games too. Have to say, so far the performances of Brotherston, Dykes, Anderson of the "newbies" have been terrific. Of guys who were in the squad last season and have started this, I have been well impressed by Brownlie, Jacobs and Miller. They have seized their chance. And we still have Rigg to add to the mix.

After the negativity over signings and the appointment of Gavin Skelton, it's great to see how much of a positive feeling there is at Palmerston at the moment ( not reflected in the attendance yet unfortunately).

Perhaps my only disappointment is with us winning 4-1 with 16 minutes left one of the young lads moxen/murray/hooper couldn't get on for last 10. These lads need to try and get game time and this game and the commanding position we had would of been good chance. Hooper maybe not so much but the other two defiantly.

7 minutes ago, Tam said:

, it's great to see how much of a positive feeling there is at Palmerston at the moment ( not reflected in the attendance yet unfortunately).

To be fair whilst we hoped for a 2,000+ attendance, with 257 from Ayr and with Youth Beatz on in the town too we still upped the home support from the back end of last season by circa 400. It wasnt a bad attendance. And anyone who saw Dobbie yesterday will surely be back and hopefully encourage friends.

Still cant believe he is playing here. Fair play to him. I think he was last to leave yesterday apart from the groundsmen. I even left before him. He was the first player to arrive before the game. He signed autographs and posed for every picture asked. He spoke well to the press and hospitality guests. He had a kickabout on the pitch post match with his kids. He seems genuinely delighted to be back "home".

Seeing what Brotherston did when he came on against Hibs, I would say his end product was better than Dan's. I'm looking forward to seeing the lad starting more games too. Have to say, so far the performances of Brotherston, Dykes, Anderson of the "newbies" have been terrific. Of guys who were in the squad last season and have started this, I have been well impressed by Brownlie, Jacobs and Miller. They have seized their chance. And we still have Rigg to add to the mix.

After the negativity over signings and the appointment of Gavin Skelton, it's great to see how much of a positive feeling there is at Palmerston at the moment ( not reflected in the attendance yet unfortunately).

I think brownlie has largely been solid so far, there is a decent player in there, even if he does do the odd daft thing. Millar was quality first two games hoping it's just a knock, and as for Jacobs he's been unreal doing the donkey work in midfield, probably been the player to impress me the most.

It's great we've started well but feel there is still room for improvement, don't think we were all that great yesterday but still won 4-1 yesterday so that's good. Not too sure on Hamill, I love his attitude and will to win but he's been pretty poor last couple of games. Also having so many players from our youth setup involved is brilliant, and all holding there own

I think the Board should start negotiations now to sign Dobbie up for the rest of his playing career! I think he's only signed for a year at the moment? Get him signed up for at least another 2-3 seasons, he's already adding to the crowd and that will only increase with more performances like yesterday! Use the funds from the upcoming Rangers Cup match! By the way, Lee Robinson is just as important a signing as Dobbie is. Get him retained for longer as well!

I thought it was a decent crowd to be honest. 

We've become used to figures closer to 1500 unless there's a big traveling support, so this was significantly up on that. 

As said, Youth Beatz will have had a little impact and issues on the A76 might have put off the odd visitor.  I hope we can get to 2,000+ and stay there, but yesterday took us a lot closer towards that.

Archived