Heads Gone (The 8MileBU Awards)

I think bullying is an interesting topic.  It'd be interesting to see a chart of the mentions of bullying in the media over the last few decades, you can bet it's shot up in the last ten years.  It's now common to hear complaints about bullying in environments that you'd never have imagined years ago - the Speaker of the House of Commons has been accused of bullying people, there are currently enquiries ongoing about bullying in the armed forces.  Up until not so long ago bullying was something that happened at school and, at least when I was in school, was something that was physical, it was about commiting physical harm to someone else.  We were told that name calling was wrong but it wasn't called bullying, that was violence or physical intimidation.
In the past the traditional way that bullies would get their comupance in movies and stories would be to be laid out by the long suffering bully - a classic example being Marty's dad knocking out his bully in the original Back To The Future movie.  I don't advocate violence but maybe that's a more direct, natural and satisfying response than filing a complaint with HR or referring things to your guidance teacher.  In conclusion then, bennet should fight Day of the Lords.
Would Angus to Ruel Street be classed as essential travel?

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

i just think you've fundamentally misunderstood the dynamic of the dotting community on here. To an outsider like me it's all very weird, but I wouldn't assume to judge. Bennett is an enthusiastic member, and plays by his own rules and alliances. He is not alone.

I think two things show that not to be the case.

One is simply his dot number. He clearly gets dotted more than anyone else.

Second is the nature of quite a few of the replies to this. I genuinely found Dee Man's response quite illuminating. Basically people should just put up with it and be a bit harder. Other posters have posted similar, Dee Man was far from the only one.

I don't know. I just find the whole thing quite sad. I think the days of saying 'it's the internet' should be well gone. We know much better now. None of us on here know each other or know each other's circumstances. Treating another poster the way many on here are aggressively insisting they should be allowed to is a risky path.

I think what makes it all the more ironic is that so many of the 'it's only a red dot' crowd so brazenly play to the gallery to get green dots while being abusive. So it clearly does matter to people.

Just now, Day of the Lords said:
7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:
I think bullying is an interesting topic.  It'd be interesting to see a chart of the mentions of bullying in the media over the last few decades, you can bet it's shot up in the last ten years.  It's now common to hear complaints about bullying in environments that you'd never have imagined years ago - the Speaker of the House of Commons has been accused of bullying people, there are currently enquiries ongoing about bullying in the armed forces.  Up until not so long ago bullying was something that happened at school and, at least when I was in school, was something that was physical, it was about commiting physical harm to someone else.  We were told that name calling was wrong but it wasn't called bullying, that was violence or physical intimidation.
In the past the traditional way that bullies would get their comupance in movies and stories would be to be laid out by the long suffering bully - a classic example being Marty's dad knocking out his bully in the original Back To The Future movie.  I don't advocate violence but maybe that's a more direct, natural and satisfying response than filing a complaint with HR or referring things to your guidance teacher.  In conclusion then, bennet should fight Day of the Lords.

Would Angus to Ruel Street be classed as essential travel?

We'll tell everyone it's part of a protest, All Dots Matter.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

We'll tell everyone it's part of a protest, All Dots Matter.

In all seriousness I’m RGB colour blind so if it wasn’t for the minus sign I wouldn’t have a clue which dots were which. 

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think two things show that not to be the case.

One is simply his dot number. He clearly gets dotted more than anyone else.

Second is the nature of quite a few of the replies to this. I genuinely found Dee Man's response quite illuminating. Basically people should just put up with it and be a bit harder. Other posters have posted similar, Dee Man was far from the only one.

I don't know. I just find the whole thing quite sad. I think the days of saying 'it's the internet' should be well gone. We know much better now. None of us on here know each other or know each other's circumstances. Treating another poster the way many on here are aggressively insisting they should be allowed to is a risky path.

I think what makes it all the more ironic is that so many of the 'it's only a red dot' crowd so brazenly play to the gallery to get green dots while being abusive. So it clearly does matter to people.

If you were posting about people giving each other abuse over posts or PM using words I would likely agree with you. Words have content and can contain a targeted impact.

You're talking about red circles. That's literally all they are.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

If you were posting about people giving each other abuse over posts or PM using words I would likely agree with you. Words have content and can contain a targeted impact.

I'd simply advise you to do some reading.

That's the modern equivalent of 'sticks and stones' and we're well past believing in that wee rhyme.

Just now, JTS98 said:

I'd simply advise you to do some reading.

That's the modern equivalent of 'sticks and stones' and we're well past believing in that wee rhyme.

I've covered the "names will never hurt me" bit in my post about people giving each other verbal or written abuse.

A circle of red pixels with a wee white arrow in it is not analogous to anything in that particular nursery rhyme.

Can you link me to anything about the impact of downvoting on people's wellbeing? I will genuinely read it and try to learn from it if there are valid messages in it.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

And what would you know about red dots? 

Interesting to see Chris' post there. I was actually considering a thread about what it would take for you to punch someone.

Offering a square go is always seen as the ultimate heads gone on here but in real life, growing up and at the start of a good solid drinking career, it happens. People punch and get punched.

People who talk to others a certain way IRL are often held to have "never had a good slap".

Under what circumstances would anyone resort to violence? Is anyone totally against under all circumstances? Do we have any hair trigger road rage types?

Incidentally If anyone wants to punch me, contact my agent Shandon Par. We will organise the covid tests and meet at Ruel St.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't advocate violence but maybe that's a more direct, natural and satisfying response than filing a complaint with HR or referring things to your guidance teacher.  In conclusion then, bennet should fight Day of the Lords.

When you see these kids getting bullied online it makes me think “why doesn’t their dad just go round and spark out the other kid’s dad on their doorstep?”. They’d soon get their kid to behave.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

You deserve a greenie for that!

image.png.b1a510fa90835bc4571c5da7550dbe65.png

Don’t bully me for having gimp eyes man. Although; again true story, some old guy called my wife specky four eyes at Cathcart station about 10 years ago and she just pissed herself laughing. 

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I've covered the "names will never hurt me" bit in my post about people giving each other verbal or written abuse.

A circle of red pixels with a wee white arrow in it is not analogous to anything in that particular nursery rhyme.

Can you link me to anything about the impact of downvoting on people's wellbeing? I will genuinely read it and try to learn from it if there are valid messages in it.

I’d like to read this research as well - I’ve already asked for JTS to provide it and he has yet to do so sadly. 

Guest JTS98
6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's after midnight and I'm going to bed soon rather than Googling this all for you.

But Reddit did research into downvoting on their platform that found it lowered self-esteem and also had an impact of the downvoted person's view of other people and on the quality of their future output.

A university I designed courses for in Singapore removed the down-vote from their campus-wide social media because their own internal study found it increased stress and made people feel less valuable. That's going to be featured in a paper on campus-based social media that will be out sometime this year. I got my first academic reference in that one, so I'm very pleased with it.

Facebook tested downvoting a year or two ago and then stepped away from it. I believe permanently, but I don't use Facebook so cannot confirm. But I know the findings from that form part of the paper mentioned above. They dropped it for the same reasons. It was found to have a negative impact on people and they feared it would cost them users or reputational damage. There's a lot online about that.

To be honest, I think a lot of this is quite obvious stuff. What would your common sense tell you might be someone's reaction to day after day being 'dotted' by a community of strangers who all seem to agree that you're a dick. What do you think that might do to someone? It's not exactly a tricky thing to get your head around.

Downvoting on Reddit leads to an homogenised echo chamber given controversial posts are generally hidden and people want their posts to be viewed but Pie and Bov has nailed it with every post treated equally regardless of how shite us posters, the true troops, find it.

Edited by NotThePars

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Interesting to see Chris' post there. I was actually considering a thread about what it would take for you to punch someone.

Offering a square go is always seen as the ultimate heads gone on here but in real life, growing up and at the start of a good solid drinking career, it happens. People punch and get punched.

People who talk to others a certain way IRL are often held to have "never had a good slap".

Under what circumstances would anyone resort to violence? Is anyone totally against under all circumstances? Do we have any hair trigger road rage types?

Incidentally If anyone wants to punch me, contact my agent Shandon Par. We will organise the covid tests and meet at Ruel St.

I've had a near supernatural ability to avoid punching anyone since I left school, where I broke my fist on somebody without leaving a mark. Been in lots of potentially very violent situations, some where I've intervened to stop bad things happening, but I get a roughly 2 minute period of absolute confidence and a very loud gob before my legs start shaking. That's always luckily been enough to calm things down, or at least create enough confusion to leg it.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Downvoting on Reddit leads to an homogenised echo chamber given controversial posts are generally hidden and people want their posts to seen but Pie and Bov has nailed it with every post treated equally regardless of how shite us posters, the true troops, find it.

You actually see a lot of the same patterns on here.

Pile ons of green or red dots.

A lot of people just like to join in. It's how people work.