Heads Gone (The 8MileBU Awards)

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Your turn to show your working.

It's not an analogy by the way.  It's merely an example.

Look up the definition of analogy and then try to work out why your facile comparison between attitudes toward individual taxation and businesses of different sizes operating on different scales is one. Then search the Scots in Europe forum for the word analogy and work out we have actually done this before you boring, boring b*****d.

Edited by The OP

23 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I'm not going back in there, my eyes are bleeding.

What a section it is, makes the Juniors posters look like Oxford men.

Some excellent exchanges involving steroids, soiled goalie gloves, tampons & "playin the baw oan the danceflair"

😂

Quite a weird way to make a point but quite laughable to reduce Kincardine's confederate flag as 'using racism as banter'.

I am a nationalist but I do see the point he says he's intending to make to be honest, even if it's a slightly strange way to go about it.

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Quite a weird way to make a point but quite laughable to reduce Kincardine's confederate flag as 'using racism as banter'.

I am a nationalist but I do see the point he says he's intending to make to be honest, even if it's a slightly strange way to go about it.

So in much the same way Father Jack woke up after 12 years and found out he was still a priest, Kincardine's woken up after 36 and found out he's still Rik from The Young Ones?

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Batter in there, mate, with examples of regimes Scotland didn't support.  Playing the Nazi card is always winsome.

You don't seem to have much in the way of reading comprehension for someone who thinks we should telepathically glean some tenuous non-bigoted interpretation of your naked display of symbols of race hatred and slavery. There's nothing wrong with illustrating how ridiculous and appalling your argument is by showing how the very same "logic" would be used by other actors in other contexts. There's absolutely nothing about waving a racist flag as a windup or a supposed pretendy history lesson that is exclusive to Scotland.

Also when it comes to 300 years worth of the enslavement and murder of human beings on the grounds of race, Nazis are a perfectly fair metric for comparison. The North Atlantic slave trade killed millions, and stole the lives of millions more. It's supporters turned half the United States of America into a racist terror state for a century after it was abolished, and the economic, social and political consequences are still around today - and it was one of the major crimes also committed by the Nazis. There's a reason why slavery was put on the list of crimes against humanity after we were done jailing and hanging Nazis at Nuremberg.

There's been a lot of work done academically about Scotland's links to the slave trade.  Students in Edinburgh produced an interactive website that detailed allthe residents of the city who owned slaves at the point the UK outlawed slavery - they found the data from the compensation paid by the government to slave owners following abolition.  There has also been campaigning about Glasgow's history in the slave trade, particularly around the names of streets in the city centre.  I even read an interesting article about the links of Cromarty and other places in the Highlands to the slave trade a few months ago.  Academic historians have never properly shied away from telling the truth about Scottish history, something that is important I think. 

All this pales in comparison to the stunning and brave Kincardine, setting his avatar to the Confederate Battle flag.  So much heroism. 

Gincardine with his usual monstrous Monday hangover. He can console himself with taking Nesbit's place in #thesquad though. I'm sure Magee, 14 Mile and Jimmy Boo will give him the welcome he deserves. 

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

On the plus side I am now listening to Free Bird.

Saturday Night Special is my favourite song of theirs. The anti-gun message probably doesn't sit well with their modern audience and the death of three of the original guys back in the 1970s has fudged much of the nuance of their work, to the point they have this image as bone-headed right wing rockers. 

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re talking about someone who has previously had the flag of apartheid South Africa as his avatar as well.

He’s doing it because he thinks racist symbols are fair game to wind people up on the internet, regardless of the validity of the point he claims he’s actually trying to make.

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You’re talking about someone who has previously had the flag of apartheid South Africa as his avatar as well.

He’s doing it because he thinks racist symbols are fair game to wind people up on the internet, regardless of the validity of the point he claims he’s actually trying to make.

He's doing it because he's a fanny

10 hours ago, The OP said:

Look up the definition of analogy and then try to work out why your facile comparison between attitudes toward individual taxation and businesses of different sizes operating on different scales is one. Then search the Scots in Europe forum for the word analogy and work out we have actually done this before you boring, boring b*****d.

Gosh, it would now appear that you're getting a bit cross.  Remarkable.

I'm not comparing my attitude to fairness in sport, to my view on fairness in wider life.  Sport is part of life, so my views on fairness are broadly consistent.  No analogies here.

Why did you ask me to show my working, if we've done this before and you find it boring?

What a shouty wee simpleton you sometimes come across as.  It's probably a shame.

3 hours ago, JMDP said:

Gincardine with his usual monstrous Monday hangover. He can console himself with taking Nesbit's place in #thesquad though. I'm sure Magee, 14 Mile and Jimmy Boo will give him the welcome he deserves. 

^^^ Atletico Rab

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Saturday Night Special is my favourite song of theirs. The anti-gun message probably doesn't sit well with their modern audience and the death of three of the original guys back in the 1970s has fudged much of the nuance of their work, to the point they have this image as bone-headed right wing rockers. 

I've been a fan for 40 years and never heard of such a description. Ronnie Van Zant was an excellent underrated storyteller in his songwriting. The likes of Ballad Of Curtis Loew and Gimme Three Steps spring to mind.

50 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I've been a fan for 40 years and never heard of such a description. Ronnie Van Zant was an excellent underrated storyteller in his songwriting. The likes of Ballad Of Curtis Loew and Gimme Three Steps spring to mind.

The music gets used by republican politicians and the old confederate flag imagery was eventually binned not long ago. Same sort of thing as Springsteen and “Born in the USA”, with it being used over the year by Republican politicians.